Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to share PB with others without seeming obnoxious? page 3

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    How about you bring in a guest speaker to talk to the office. Make sure they are primal and have a good understanding to answer questions. Mark and his business partner, Brad, will travel to do seminars from time to time, if he's doing one in your area, put up a flyer in the lunch room. Have a primal challenge at the office even. Everyone gets a copy of the primal blueprint 21 day workbook and you see who gets on board. Have lunchtime discussions as the 21 days go by. Heck, all kinds of offices have "biggest loser" challenges, why not a primal one!

nixxy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    You gotta hope the person picks it up and runs with it.

I am working with a contractor this week that I only see once a year or less. Last time we saw each other, we were both about 230 lbs and starting new diets, him a CW diet, me PB. Now, he weighs 275, I weigh 165. He was blown away! He said he got down to about 210 and couldn't handle the misery of eating 'rabbit food'.

I told him I was eating mostly meat and vegetables, known as the paleo diet. Next day he comes in and you can see the light in his eyes--says he googled 'paleo' and couldn't believe what he found. Said he was up all night reading about it. I told him about Mark's Daily Apple. I can't wait to see him next year!

That's awesome. And you know why he'll probably come back next year healthier? Because he was obviously ready to find this lifestyle.

That's the thing with advice and trying to help people, they have to be in the right place to be receptive. I was fat for 4 years and never really listened to anything anyone told me. Not because I wanted to stay fat, I just wasn't in the right headspace to be listening to anything like that. It's hard to articulate but eventually there really is a point where you're suddenly receptive and you want to learn about new things.
    Current weight lost: 82.9lb (37.6kg)

Current PRs:
    Bench: 45kg/99lb
    Squat: 100kg/220lb
    Deadlift: 120kg/265lb

My blog
    My journal

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I just had a couple of women ask me what I was doing to lose weight, and I just said that I had "eliminated wheat". That turned into an exploration of what that would mean (basically, give the hand to processed foods and all that entails).

Plus a bit of evangelism about Atkins (so, you eat meat all the time? my husband tried that years ago)
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nixxy View Post
    That's the thing with advice and trying to help people, they have to be in the right place to be receptive.
    100% this. If they aren't ready to hear it, they'll just tune you out or find excuses so don't waste your time.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Polecatz is offline Senior Member
    I only talk about it now if people ask. At first, when I discovered Primal I was so excited I wanted to tell everyone. I would feel so frustrated that no-one would listen to me. I think I annoyed a few people rabbiting on about fats! The only people I lecture now are my parents cos I can - LOL - and they are so wedded to their whole grains and fake butter that there is no hope. But with work mates I think you have to be a bit more subtle. I would say, if it comes up just say "I am doing this and I am really happy, maybe you would like to check out this website".

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

UniqueTII is offline Senior Member
    I started out gung ho and spreading the word far and wide, like I did when I found about VLC weight loss. Some people were receptive, some hated talking to me. Since I wished that I had learned of this lifestyle change earlier, I thought I was doing them a favor. It was a quick lesson to learn that I wasn't.

Like others have said, I now only discuss it with people who ask and people who want the advice. Thankfully, I have had several friends who were interested so I still get to talk about it frequently.
    I wish I liked to eat liver.

mycon is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Lead by example. If it works for you people will ask what you did.
    While that's true my "problem" is that I just never got really fat in the first place. Just a little too much, which got me two comments about having gained weight, but not really noticably overweight yet. Then I started this paleo thing of ours.

So it's unlikely friends and family will pick up on this until maybe in 20 years or so when they notice I stayed so much younger and fitter than they have. I do tell them what I eat, but for now that just makes me weird and little else. There's still hope that seeing my abs (never had any before) during coming beach vacations might do the trick.

It's frustrating since I don't want to see them grow old and suffer and become overweight and possibly diabetic like my mother will probably soon be, but people have to want to change, otherwise it's useless (just like you can't make an alcoholic quit if he doesn't want to).

Probably I should just call myself lucky that my partner supports and lives this life style.

Point of the rant, it would be easier to convince people by example if at first I had been morbidly obese.

lambchop is offline Senior Member
    How about picking some of Mark's blog entries that are relevant to his plan and printing them out and leaving them around on a shared work space, or create some pretext to go talk to him and accidentally leaving a pile of work on desk with those printouts on his desk?

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mycon View Post
    While that's true my "problem" is that I just never got really fat in the first place. Just a little too much, which got me two comments about having gained weight, but not really noticably overweight yet. Then I started this paleo thing of ours.

So it's unlikely friends and family will pick up on this until maybe in 20 years or so when they notice I stayed so much younger and fitter than they have. I do tell them what I eat, but for now that just makes me weird and little else. There's still hope that seeing my abs (never had any before) during coming beach vacations might do the trick.

It's frustrating since I don't want to see them grow old and suffer and become overweight and possibly diabetic like my mother will probably soon be, but people have to want to change, otherwise it's useless (just like you can't make an alcoholic quit if he doesn't want to).

Probably I should just call myself lucky that my partner supports and lives this life style.

Point of the rant, it would be easier to convince people by example if at first I had been morbidly obese.
    For me with those I know but haven't seen in some time, I usually get, "hey you are looking lean" or something to that effect as I have dropped over 20 lbs of fat in the last 6 months. But even better is talking to complete strangers where the subject of age comes up. That almost always leads to "you are kidding or wow!" you don't look it or seem it. Then they'll usually ask me what I do. The more interested they are, the more I'll let er rip. My goal over 20 years ago was to be "younger" at 40 than most people because I simply didn't believe that the condition most were in at that age was natural. Well here I am now pushing 50 and I'm living it.

Be the example. If even one person is inspired to change, then I've done something good for the world. In other words do your part, heart and soul and the rest will follow. It simply must.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast