Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coffee and Intermittent Fasting page

Parshath is offline Junior Member

Lightbulb Coffee and Intermittent Fasting

Primal Fuel
    Pretty simple, I did find one thread here with really no definite answer. I don't really understand the nature of fasting, for proper execution my understanding is drink water, zero calories in, no solid food as that sparks up digestion and you're defeating the purpose. A close Paleo friend of mine is trying to convince me that coffee, tea, and low-calorie drinks like them are fine while fasting.

To save you some time on google, an 8-oz cup of brewed coffee is roughly 2 calories, a combination of fat and protein, with ~95mg of caffeine, depending on your brewing technique and roast. I like to drink roughly 3-4 6-oz cups over the course of two hours.

Will drinking my day's worth of coffee (~6 calories worth) break my 24 hour IF?

Tell me what you think!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Nope. There will be no insulin release if you aren't ingesting at least 9 g of carbs IIRC, so coffee or tea, etc (and heavy cream) are fine.

Waskydiver is offline Senior Member
    I drink black coffee all day during my IF"s.

Just have to be careful: Caffeine can simulate low blood sugar conditions... Especially on an empty stomach.

For many people, especially when they don't understand it, it can be a somewhat disturbing feeling.

You feel like your brain is signalling a hypoglycemic state, and the natural response is to break the fast. Reality is that you are just wired out of your skull from drinking too much coffee in a fasted state.

If you are going to drink coffee while fasting, I would add it in slowley to see how you tolerate it.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't sweat having plain coffee or tea at all. What I don't like about coffee is the amount of caffeine in it. Caffeine also is a stimulant but it also constricts the blood vessels causing less blood to get to one's muscles. These days I drink green tea during the mornings when I'm at work and I have some yerba mate during the afternoon. (I've become a fan of mate)

CandylandCanary is offline Senior Member
    I've always drank coffee while fasting. It's never really given me hypoglycemia. It *has* made me too wired, at times. But that's just too much coffee on an empty stomach, as the other poster mentioned upthread.

I also waive the calories for coffee, and I'm big on calorie-counting.

I think black coffee, tea, stevia etc are all fine while IFing.
    Getting my Grok on in the Pacific Northwest.

"C is for cookie, that's good enough for me."
    "Cookie is a sometimes food."
    "Sometimes cookie monster eat APPLE instead of COOKIE. Sometimes eat CARROT."
    -Cookie Monster, partially reformed sugarholic

"

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Parshath View Post
    Pretty simple, I did find one thread here with really no definite answer. I don't really understand the nature of fasting, for proper execution my understanding is drink water, zero calories in, no solid food as that sparks up digestion and you're defeating the purpose. A close Paleo friend of mine is trying to convince me that coffee, tea, and low-calorie drinks like them are fine while fasting.

To save you some time on google, an 8-oz cup of brewed coffee is roughly 2 calories, a combination of fat and protein, with ~95mg of caffeine, depending on your brewing technique and roast. I like to drink roughly 3-4 6-oz cups over the course of two hours.

Will drinking my day's worth of coffee (~6 calories worth) break my 24 hour IF?

Tell me what you think!
    Why would you do a 24-hr fast anyway?

Are you doing it to lose weight or get your BF % refined to the decimal point?

I think Paleo's "IF" policy should be do it if your system is working fine, and you feel like skipping meals once in a while. Planning out 24 hrs or more is just another form of eating disorder.

befitby40 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Nope. There will be no insulin release if you aren't ingesting at least 9 g of carbs IIRC, so coffee or tea, etc (and heavy cream) are fine.
    +1 That's my understanding as well. I read (leansaloon.com maybe) no protein either (hence the heavy cream vs half-half, whole milk et al)

RezH is offline Senior Member
    I drink 8 oz every morning with stevia and cream and it doesn't hinder a thing.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DFH View Post
    Why would you do a 24-hr fast anyway?

Are you doing it to lose weight or get your BF % refined to the decimal point?

I think Paleo's "IF" policy should be do it if your system is working fine, and you feel like skipping meals once in a while. Planning out 24 hrs or more is just another form of eating disorder.
    Some of us, although not me, consider eating once every 24 hours to be their daily routine. You are the one that calls that an eating disorder. That doesn't make it so. I go as long as 40 hours once in a while. I did it one this week and once last week in fact.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    Some of us, although not me, consider eating once every 24 hours to be their daily routine. You are the one that calls that an eating disorder. That doesn't make it so. I go as long as 40 hours once in a while. I did it one this week and once last week in fact.
    If you are doing that because you don't feel a need to eat, fine. If you put pressure on yourself to do it because you think you have to be trendy, it's a disorder.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast