Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coffee and Intermittent Fasting page 2

Daemonized is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by DFH View Post
    If you are doing that because you don't feel a need to eat, fine. If you put pressure on yourself to do it because you think you have to be trendy, it's a disorder.

I usually do longer fasts during cutting phases when I'm trimming back down after a bulking phase and sometimes I do a 24 when I have something other than eating that needs to get done over a lunch break. Longer fasts work for me and they make my cutting phases shorter and lets me spend more time building muscle. I like that.

I don't do anything, on the other hand, to be trendy. Is there a disorder against being trendy if that's what I did want to do though?

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    .. Is there a disorder against being trendy if that's what I did want to do though?
    I am trying to figure out what that meant...

BTW-I skipped breakfast today because I wasn't hungry, but I don't feel "hip."

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    24 hour fasts a couple of times per week part of dietary lifestyle of some folks.
    Others may choose the daily eating window within a certain time-frame.

Daemonized is online now Senior Member
    I am trying to figure out what that meant...

BTW-I skipped breakfast today because I wasn't hungry, but I don't feel "hip."
    Is trying to be trendy actually a disorder? is the question that I was asking. Is trendyism? Maybe we both have opposing conditions of IFism. I have the compulsion to be for it and you against it. You might also be infected with leptin resetism.

CandylandCanary is offline Senior Member
    Man, as soon as that crack about it being an eating disorder was made, I knew it was ON. This thread is now, I guess, official derailed. I don't know if I'd want to spend 24hrs fasting AND drinking coffee the whole time, that sounds like it would be wired city by twelve hours in. But eh, I guess people do it. I've had to fast at least that long for things like blood tests and surgeries. And if you pretty much don't try to DO anything, it's actually really easy to just not bother eating for 24hrs. Particularly if you're already mostly eating fat and protein rather than constant sugar-burning.

Also. As someone who's in remission from an ED... dude, nobody has an actual disorder to be 'trendy' of all things. That's like saying alcoholics drink just so their friends will think they're cool.
    Last edited by CandylandCanary; 08-18-2011 at 04:28 PM.
    Getting my Grok on in the Pacific Northwest.

"C is for cookie, that's good enough for me."
    "Cookie is a sometimes food."
    "Sometimes cookie monster eat APPLE instead of COOKIE. Sometimes eat CARROT."
    -Cookie Monster, partially reformed sugarholic

"

befitby40 is offline Senior Member
    ... If you put pressure on yourself to do it because you think you have to be trendy, it's a disorder.

Kind of like shoving 50g of protein down your throat every morning within 30 minutes of waking regardless of your actual hunger level or satiety?

I'm just sayin'...

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    The first thing to consider is the reason, or goal behind the fast. If you're going for a ketogenic fast, then you want to limit carbohydrates, since it's a lack thereof that turns on ketogenesis. Or you might be fasting to turn on autophagy, in which case the primary macro to restrict is protein. In either case small amounts of either won't hurt (it's really more of a spectrum than an on/off thing), and fat is generally benign with respect to not breaking the fast. Of course if you're fasting for calorie restriction then you'll want to limit anything at all caloric, but I wouldn't worry about it until you hit about 100kcals, maybe more depending on the exact parameters of the fast.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by befitby40 View Post
    Kind of like shoving 50g of protein down your throat every morning within 30 minutes of waking regardless of your actual hunger level or satiety?

I'm just sayin'...
    That's a low blow. While it may be an extreme response, you're missing at least 2 important points: it's not actually harmful, and more importantly, it doesn't really say anything about the person's relationship with food. You might as well say that people who stuff themselves because they want to gain muscle mass and can't do so otherwise have an eating disorder. You really have to look at how rational the person concerned is with regards to food, and the leptin reset approach is quite rational. If someone can manage to eat 300g of meat within 30 minutes of waking up and not become turned off by the general idea of food then they're fine. Besides, as I understand it that's the only time you ignore satiety under that procedure.
    Last edited by AndreaReina; 08-18-2011 at 07:37 PM.

davem is offline Senior Member
    I think Paleo's "IF" policy should be do it if your system is working fine, and you feel like skipping meals once in a while. Planning out 24 hrs or more is just another form of eating disorder.
    You've gone so far off the reservation, I'd appreciate it if you sent me a clever post card. Like maybe a caricature of Mr. T sitting in the lincoln memorial.

From wikipedia:
    Eating disorders refer to a group of conditions defined by abnormal eating habits that may involve either insufficient or excessive food intake to the detriment of an individual's physical and mental health
    Emphasis mine. I fail to see detriment here, and you basically missed the OPs question. Or is this just a spleen vent?

ETA - read more of the thread, clever boy, it's a spleen vent!
    Last edited by davem; 08-18-2011 at 09:26 PM.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

davem is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreaReina View Post
    That's a low blow.
    However it was pertinent and well played. It's just another dogma with faithful zealots, adherents, and those amused by it.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I feel so wonky when fasting I don't even want coffee. But it drink it, it's like 10x the kick I'm expecting, and I feel the bile pouring into my stomach.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast