Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Goals page

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member

Goals

I am wondering how or even if you set goals for yourself. For instance: By December I want to have lost ____, or by January I want to be able to run _______ or lift __________.

Sometimes when I think about setting goals, I wonder if I set them to high, do I unconsciously sabotage, basically set myself up for disappointment if I do not reach them.

There are goals I would like to set and MEET. I just need help or suggestions of making attainable goals.

What are your goals?
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    L-sit to handstand and a BJJ purple belt. I give myself 5 years.

primalprincess7 is offline Senior Member
    whenever i set weight loss goals, i seem to GAIN weight and disappoint myself...but when i just do it and not really think too hard about it all , i am more successful.
    I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

Griffin is offline Senior Member
    I set goals based on what I want to be able to do. For instance, there's a tree in my townhouse complex that I want to be able to climb. I was in the yard one day and thought that if I could grab the lowest branch (+/- 8'6" off the ground) and pull myself onto it, I would be able to get up pretty high. I can grab the branch but can only hang on it. Hopefully next year I can climb it. I don't know what the next adventure will be though.
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    My current goal is to deadlift 405 pounds. I set this goal because I'd come close to it, but never achieved it, and I want to increase my relative strength to ridiculous levels. I've been following 5/3/1 lifting template for the past 5 months in pursuit of this goal. If all goes according to plan, I should hit it by September 22nd (5 weeks from today).

I think focusing on non-weight-related goals is definitely better than trying to reach a certain weight (whether gaining or losing).

CaveDweller is offline Member
    Goals need to be achievable or else they're only dreams. I try and set myself some short term and long term goals which go hand in hand. At the start of my PB path, I couldn't climb stairs or do my own shoe laces, so my short term goal was to clean up my diet meal by meal with the aim of getting mobile enough to excercise long term. Once I achieved that I moved on to higher intensity training and flexibility work and now I can climb stairs and tie my shoes. I can also bench 75kg and squat my own body weight. The point I'm making is, if I set out with the goal of a 75kg bench and body weight squat, I don't think I'd even have got up of the couch.
    I call him free who is led soleley by reason.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    I think it's best to set goals that are behavior related because those you can control and it's the behavoir that will get you to what you really want. "I will exercise x amount" or "I will eat x,y,and z but not a,b, or c". Results goals are frustrating because you don't control them the same way. Your body will gain/loose or heal/strengthen as it decides based on your behavoirs and not so much your desires.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    I'm not setting any specific goals whatsoever. I find that if I give myself any expectations, I set myself up to fail. I figure one day at time makes what I do a success.
    Georgette

sroelofs is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    My current goal is to deadlift 405 pounds. I set this goal because I'd come close to it, but never achieved it, and I want to increase my relative strength to ridiculous levels. I've been following 5/3/1 lifting template for the past 5 months in pursuit of this goal. If all goes according to plan, I should hit it by September 22nd (5 weeks from today).

I think focusing on non-weight-related goals is definitely better than trying to reach a certain weight (whether gaining or losing).
    Good luck with the 405! It feels awesome when you hit it Remember, drive your heels through the floor and thrust those hips forward.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I want a body fat percentage of 24%. I'm currently on about 36%. And although less specific, I want to be much much stronger and leaner.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast