Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Comfortable Boots. Any ideas? page

canio6 Guest

Comfortable Boots. Any ideas?

I work for the Army and as such wear boots 8-10 hours a day 5-6 days a week. Frankly my feet hurt. At home I am barefoot. When off work I wear softstar bare foot shoes. When barefoot my feet do not hurt.

Does anyone know of a comfortable boot or a boot that might give that barefoot feel? We are required by regulation to wear boots with a 'thick rubber sole' so an actual minimalist boot seems to be out. They also need to be 8" high (the boot not the heel )

Thoughts?

Oh, I have tried boots by Bates, Magnum, Rocky, and most boots at Walmart/Big 5 sports, as well as others I can't recall.

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    I'm saving for a pair of these for the winter, oetzi3300 troop

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    do they have to be work boots? the most comfortable pair of non-minimalist shoes i own are a pair of leather hiking boots by timberland. you'll find plenty of sturdy boots with thick soles anywhere hiking footwear is sold, and they are usually really comfortable. far from minimalist, but perhaps fitting for the army's requirements

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kitoi View Post
    I'm saving for a pair of these for the winter, oetzi3300 troop
    Man, those look great, but for the price I would have to try a pair on. Any idea on how durable they are?

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    do they have to be work boots? the most comfortable pair of non-minimalist shoes i own are a pair of leather hiking boots by timberland. you'll find plenty of sturdy boots with thick soles anywhere hiking footwear is sold, and they are usually really comfortable. far from minimalist, but perhaps fitting for the army's requirements
    The hiking boots I have found around here do not meet the standards unfortunately. It is a good idea though and I will keep looking.

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    Here's a positive review
    oetzi3300 troop review

wheelhouse is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    The hiking boots I have found around here do not meet the standards unfortunately. It is a good idea though and I will keep looking.
    Thats going to be the tough part, finding a comfortable boot that will fit within the regulations. therefore, you might be looking at it the wrong way. You might want to look into a custom footbed or an orthotic rather than a whole new boot.

I know that when I was in (~15yrs ago) the most comfortable shoes I owned were my standard issue boots that I got in basic. Worked them so hard during basic and AIT that they were conformed to my feet like a second skin. Had a ton of polish in them so they took a shine very easily. However, I did need to make sure I had a good insole. I think i went with a pair of superfeet and it was like walking on clouds.

Blackbird is offline Senior Member
    I have a pair of Wescos and a pair of Danner Quarrys.
    Wescos--expensive but can be rebuilt 3 times. Mine are 13 years old and still going.
    Danners are not as expensive, can be rebuilt as well.
    Probably not very barefootish, but they are the ones I know well.
    Superfeet in both.
    The guy that sold me my NB Minimus trail runners said I should ditch the SF insoles totally.
    Last edited by Blackbird; 08-18-2011 at 10:40 AM. Reason: clarity

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kitoi View Post
    Here's a positive review
    oetzi3300 troop review
    THese are sounding better and better. I will just have to see if the sole fits the reg. Thanks!

canio6 Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelhouse View Post
    I know that when I was in (~15yrs ago) the most comfortable shoes I owned were my standard issue boots that I got in basic. Worked them so hard during basic and AIT that they were conformed to my feet like a second skin. Had a ton of polish in them so they took a shine very easily.
    Mine were the same way but when the army went to the suede boot they got disgarded in a move. Now I am back in black boots and kicking myself.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast