Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A quick question on mass gain. page

Nocturnalhorse is offline Senior Member

A quick question on mass gain.

Primal Fuel
    Is this optimal for mass gain???

1 gram per pound of body weight protein.

Carbs on workout days.... 200 gms out of which 100 is post workout.
    Carbs on nonworkout days...100 gms.

Also planning on carbing-up every 5 days. What should be my carb intake on the carbup days.

Training : Powerlifting 4 days a week.
    Cardio : interval training once or twice a week.
    Current bodyweight : 168-170 pounds. 8% bf.

Doddibot is offline Senior Member
    What's your daily energy intake? Ensuring an energy surplus?

Also, are you able to maintain progress when you lift 4x a week?
    "Thanks to the combination of meat, calcium-rich leaf foods, and a vigorous life, the early hunter-gatherers were robust, with strong skeletons, jaws, and teeth." - Harold McGee, On Food And Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen

If you mean fats...I am shooting for 60-75+ gms of fats a day. ( evoo, evco, mac oil, coconut milk, beef tallow, steak, bacon etc ).

I am readjusting my diet to 1 gram per pound of bw. 200 gms of carbs ( workout days ) 100 on nonworkout days. 70-80 gms of fats everyday. I had lost quite a bit of weight and my strength had sorta stagnated too. Upon analyzing my diet I realized that I was lacking on all three fronts ( protein/fats/carbs) so I decided to ramp it up. Also my metabolism is superfast so I have decided to incorporate a carbloading days every 5 days. ( Primarily fruits and sweet potatoes )

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I always try to overshoot my 1g of protein (plboflbm) and consider that the bottom of my range, but your plan sounds good to me. I've been working on upping my primal carb intake as well and several of us have been getting more into the carb refeeds. Chocotaco has a recurring thread on carb cycling that is really good.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure you need the carb-up day in addition to the higher carbs post-workout. Also, I'd personally recommend moving more of your carbs to the post-workout meal (say 150g instead of 100). I could be wrong of course, but those are just my recommendations.

RezH is offline Senior Member
    I'm trying to do the same thing, only I eat 250-300g of carbs all postworkout. I think you will need to get an idea of your caloric intake in order to actually gain weight, especially with a good metabolism. I've been averaging 2900 calories per day for a couple weeks and have gained all of 1 lb. I don't even do cardio, just 20 minute walks, once a week sprints, and three hours of strength training weekly.

Daemonized! Would you recommend having protein 1.5 per pound of bw instead of 1???

Yodiewan! That's not a problem. I can always have 150 gms postworkout.....and another 50 gms in one of the earlier meals.

Doddibot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocturnalhorse View Post
    Upon analyzing my diet I realized that I was lacking on all three fronts ( protein/fats/carbs) so I decided to ramp it up.
    You found the problem!

So on average each day you eat 75g fat, 170g protein and 155g carb. By my calculations that's only about 2200kcal?

Your protein is enough, let's say 170-200g daily (anything more and it'll just be a waste of money). So you just need to increase the fat and carbs (whichever you prefer), every single day. Try 3000kcal for a few weeks and see how that works out for you. If you're not gaining, eat more (or work out less).
    Last edited by Doddibot; 08-20-2011 at 07:44 AM.
    "Thanks to the combination of meat, calcium-rich leaf foods, and a vigorous life, the early hunter-gatherers were robust, with strong skeletons, jaws, and teeth." - Harold McGee, On Food And Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen

Well!! I have decided to stick to a gram per pound of bodyweight. Around 80+ gms of fat and as far as carbs are concerned the only carbs i shall be having will be through vegetables like collard greens, kale, broccoli, cabbage etc and two bananas postworkout. I tried having all kinds of potatoes...all I can say is YUCK!! I can tolerate brown rice quite well which I have once in a while but not everyday. My strength seems to be going up. Last week I hit a new pr in deadlifts too so no complaints.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    If you're going with rice I'd go with white rice over brown rice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast