Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Man, this is harder than I thought. page

Dan208 is offline Senior Member

Man, this is harder than I thought.

For the last two weeks I've been trying to cut out all the junk I usually eat, but it's been sooo much harder than I thought it would be. Just last night we ordered pizza (damn, it was good).

Maybe I'm trying too much too quickly? I pretty much tried to stop cold turkey. Could that have been a mistake? Should I try something like cutting things out one meal at a time for a few weeks before moving on? I got excited after getting and reading Mark's books, but it's been quite a struggle so far.

Any thoughts, suggestions, swift kick in the butt , etc?

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Each one of us has to do this individually. Whatever works best for you is up for you to decide. If you are having problems going cold turkey, then don't. Try one meal per day and see how that works. Dinner would be best for a few reasons - which we can get into, but you are new so it might be too much info too soon. Breakfast is always a good choice as well, but again it would depend. Do you have a significant amount of fat to lose? Are you doing this to help with a problem/disease or you just don't want a problem/disease?
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

I don't have much fat to lose (just a small "spare tire"), but my wife has what you might call a "significant" amount. I'm doing this mainly for health and disease prevention, although I'm hoping it will help out with some slight depression/anxiety/self esteem issues I suffer from. I also have a congenital heart condition, so like I mentioned, it's mainly for health reasons.

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    There's no shame in easing into primal..... start with one meal a day like IcarianVX suggested, or start with one thing - ie. first work on eliminating the junk, then weaning yourself off the "healthy whole grains," then vegetable oils, then sugars, then dairy if you choose to, etc etc. Ditching the grains will be the hardest part, though, and get ready for the "low carb flu." You will feel crummy for about 2 weeks, but then it will pass and you will feel amazing. Good luck!

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    What are you craving? What do you want to eat that fits within the blueprint (or primal/paleo whatever)? Some people may find it easier to substitute, ie. make new breads out of almond meal/coconut flour, use quinoa instead of oatmeal (arguably primal). In time, you may stray from this, and that's fine too.

I am also doing this for health reasons. I still slip up and have pizza & beer sometimes, but the important thing is to accept the slip-up, enjoy it anyway, and move on.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    Ease into it if you need.

1. Eliminate snacks/desserts
    2. Primalize (eliminate grains/sugar) Breakfast
    3. Primalize Dinner
    4. Primalize Lunch (leftover primal dinner and BAS!)
    5. Remember 80/20
    6. Tweak (dairy/nuts/caffine/nightshades/starch/fruit)

Try to get as much animal protein as you can while not really worrying about the accompanying animal fats. Carbs come from vegetables mostly (a potatoe here and there should be fine). Don't over do added cooking fats.

My biggest craving recently has been sugar. I destroyed an entire box of cookies in two days earlier this week, and I've been drinking a lot more pop than I usually do.

Also, I work three days a week on the weekends. I do 12 hour days and it's extremely physically demanding, throwing anything weighing less than a pound to around 70 pounds on a conveyor belt and pulling pallets. Constant, fast movement. I'm wondering if I should up my carb intake on the weekends, and include more potatoes and the like in my meals?

Unicorn is offline Senior Member
    Well, you definitely have your 'primal workouts' dialed in!!!

If you are craving sweets/soda, I would look to the signal that right now your carb needs are a bit higher. I would work on switching to more unrefined, non sugar sources. Ditch the soda, no way around that. However, substitute another healthy cold beverage, iced tea or water. Yep, it will suck for a day or two. If you drink caffinated soda either drink caffinated iced tea, or prepare for a few days of raging headaches.

Then, make sure to include 'good' carbs from sweet potatoes, nuts, fruit. As your body transitions, you will find your need for these will reduce, especially as you up your intake of good fats.

Ummmmya is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan208 View Post
    My biggest craving recently has been sugar. I destroyed an entire box of cookies in two days earlier this week, and I've been drinking a lot more pop than I usually do.

Also, I work three days a week on the weekends. I do 12 hour days and it's extremely physically demanding, throwing anything weighing less than a pound to around 70 pounds on a conveyor belt and pulling pallets. Constant, fast movement. I'm wondering if I should up my carb intake on the weekends, and include more potatoes and the like in my meals?
    What's your protein and fat intake like? Keep both of those way up, it'll help with the sugar cravings. Sugar is a bitch to kick, but one of the best things you can do for yourself. I was able to do it and the first step was watching Dr. Lustig's video on youtube "Sugar, the Bitter Truth." If you're going to eat the cookies, at least do it with your eyes open as to what it's doing to you. Just get it all out of your house, then load up on protein and fat and push through. Green tea with stevia can help replace the soda, as can kombucha (it's got a little fizz, so can really hit the spot). Taking 5-HTP is supposed to help with cravings too. Once you're a few weeks sugar free, you really do lose your desire for it, or it at least becomes manageable.

Waskydiver is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan208 View Post
    ... Just last night we ordered pizza (damn, it was good).

Maybe I'm trying too much too quickly? I pretty much tried to stop cold turkey. Could that have been a mistake?

swift kick in the butt , etc?
    Problem wasn't the going cold turkey part... It was the ordering the pizza part.

Expect at least a week or two as your body transitions. During this time, you will likely experience cravings, and a run down feeling.

Afterwards, your cravings should decrease dramatically, and your energy will increase dramatically.

Every time you throw a pizza wrench into the mix, you are sabotaging your transition, and you may never get through it.

I'd spend at least 2 weeks, if not 30 days 100% primal. THEN evaluate how you feel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast