Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (Dualhammers) page

Dualhammers is offline Senior Member

Primal Journal (Dualhammers)

Shop Now

Today is officially Day 2 of my Primal Diet so I figured it is time for the journal. I am going to keep it really simple for now - I used to do a strict weight watchers regiment of counting everything including calories and fat, but for now I am just going to count my carbs. If I lose weight well then I will keep going on that, otherwise I will begin to eyeball my calories. Last two days I do not think I've eaten more than my normal daily intake of calories, I feel I've eaten maybe about 700~ less.

Anyways. I am really new at this, and know very little about the nuances of the diet. Please critique me liberally so that I can get the most of of this. Be aware, however, that I am a poor college student and only can put about $50 into food a week.

Todays Meals:

Breakfast - Two Scrambled Eggs, 8oz Strip Steak, Sauteed Onions, Sliced tomato (1 half), 2 cups coffee with cream.

Lunch - Large Salad with Avacado, Chicken, Tomato, Onions, Peppers, and Italian Dressing (I am going Oil and vinegar next time - this was a ton of sodium)

Snack of 1 Egg Protein Shake with 1/2 cup Coconut Milk

Dinner - 14oz Prime Rib with Broccoli, Horseradish Sauce. Caesar salad with no crutons.

Total Water Drank: 100 oz

Total Carbs - 113g.

Since this is day two I would expect to still feel crappy given the lack of carbs (I was a Pizza every night guy before this) but I'm feeling very even keeled and comfortable. My poops are a little odd, but I think that may be a separate issue from a few days before.

I am leaving town in a few days to spend with the girlfriend and her family for Christmas, so official work out sessions won't start until the 3rd of Jan. I've done enough dieting before to know that my body needs to adjust before I tackle serious exercise, especially at my weight (360).

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member

Just popping in to say you're doing great, and keep at it. Have a great xmas with your girlfriend's family.

Day 3

I am leaving town in 2 days and my pantry is bare save for a few things. I didn't want to buy groceries this week that would just rot so I tried to eat what I had around. Later in the day, however, I decided to head to the store and get just enough until I leave. Let me know what you think.

The hard part for me is the need to eat more and more often than other primals Being so overweight I find if I try to eat the amount most everyone else does I still feel hungry. Hopefully I will get satiated with less as I lose weight.

Breakfast: 8 oz Egg Protein Shake thickened with coconut milk

Snack: Handful of Almonds and can of green beans cooked in coconut oil (trying to get rid of the last of my pre-primal foods. I'm poor and don't plan on wasting anything)

Lunch: 2 tins of Tunafish with Hellman's Mayo - This is some tasty stuff. I want to try my hand at making my own mayo someday.

Snack: skipped

Dinner: A nice little one-pot meal of ground round beef with tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, and shallots.

Total water drank: 85 oz

Total carbs: 89.54

Overall today I am feeling pretty good. Still a little tired because of the massive reduction in my caffeine, and I get this sort of half hungry feeling (that sort of twingy pang / burn you get when you're about to get hungry) most of the day. I think this still may be carb withdrawl.

Day 4

Breakfast: Egg Protein Shake Thickened with Coconut Milk

Lunch: Tuna Salad with onions, Bell Peppers, and Shallots. With olive oil and a little bit of mayo as dressing.

Snack: Some leftover veggies from lunch lightly cooked with leftover oil

Dinner: One pan meal of hamburger cooked with onions, bell peppers, tomatos, an entire store-bought wrap of fresh spinach, and a heavy cream sauce.

Total Carbs: 85g

Fat Percentage of Calories: 76%

Total Protein: 142g

Total Calories: 3231

Total Water Drank: 112 oz

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Dualhammers,

You're doing great, but I notice your carbs are running around 90 gms per day. That might be the cause of your excessive hunger; you might find it to be less if you stay sub-50. I know it's true for me.

Grok On!

g2baker is offline Member

You may feel like crap for the first 2 weeks and get low on energy - (very tired) That basically your body switching from using Cabs for energy to fat and protein. Hang in there, this will pass and you will feel so much better. Kuno1chi is so right about energy. Luck you for starting this in college. Invest in a crock pot.

Merry Christmas

Hey everyone. I just got back from Christmas and will be restarting the journal tomorrow!

My plan is to try sub-50 carbs for awhile, but my goal is to make this a lifestyle not a diet, and I don't want to ever feel like I am an elitist turning snuffing my nose at food or obsessing over it trying to achieve a certain number. We shall see how it goes.

Supper: Chicken Caesar Salad with no croutons, and a hamburger with cheddar cheese and grilled onions

Dinner: 16 oz Steak with sauteed spinach

Total Carbs: 65g - I think I was extra hungry today because it was my first day heading towards true ketosis.

Fat Percentage of Calories: 50%

Total Protein: 175g

Total Calories: 3500

Total Water Drank: 84 oz

I think I need to start cutting my calories even more. I am going to aim for around 2500 and see how the weight loss goes - if it drops off even with a day of cycling back to around 3500 then I will raise it up again, but I want to drop the weight as fast as I can. I only have a year and a half until my wedding!

Day 6

Breakfast: Egg Protein Shake

Lunch: 4 egg omlette with ham and peppers

Supper: Gyros (just the meat) and a 1/3rd lb Angus Burger (just meat, mushrooms, and cheese) from McDonalds

Snack: 2 tbs of natural peanut butter.

Total Carbs: 45.4g - now we are heading in the right direction. I actually found I ate less with this level of carb intake.

Fat Percentage of Calories: 65%

Total Protein: 128g

Total Calories: 2392

Total Water Drank: 64 oz

Overall a good day intake-wise but not so great food-choice wise. I ran out of food in the pantry and had to make do with stuff around my college (I went to eat dinner with friends) until I got back to buy groceries. I vowed not to be that guy that complains about where we go as a group so I don't feel too bad. Overall I ate a lot less calories than I need just because I wasn't as hungry.

I also checked my scale and it read 354lbs. That is down from the steady 365 I've been maintaining for a year or more. All this done even over the holidays!

Pretty drunk right now. I will update today later. Just want to let everyone know that today is my cycling day - meaning I ate higher carbs and higher calories than normal. It may not be the healthiest thing in the world, but I've read many studies on how keeping your body from getting into a slump is the best way to keep it healthy. This is my justification for a slice of pizza and lots of booze.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast