Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: making avocado likable? page

mrmarius is offline Junior Member

making avocado likable?

so ever since i've started reading about primal i have been hearing about avocado's and decided to give it a try yesterday. I was not impressed, for one i dont like the texture and really cant describe the test, that said i have half an avocado left and wonder what i could do to it so that i may enjoy it better, and possible incorporate it into my diet

kbn1 is offline Senior Member
    I am wondering if you ate an unripe or overripe avocado. What was the texture like? If it was firm or very, very soft, then you didn't have a good one and those are not enjoyable. The texture should be creamy and about as firm as a banana.

Ummmmya is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmarius View Post
    so ever since i've started reading about primal i have been hearing about avocado's and decided to give it a try yesterday. I was not impressed, for one i dont like the texture and really cant describe the test, that said i have half an avocado left and wonder what i could do to it so that i may enjoy it better, and possible incorporate it into my diet
    I don't much care for avocado plain, but I loooooooove guacamole. Loooove it. I buy the Wholly Guacamole individual serving packs because I'm culinary challenged and a bit lazy, but you could mash your half avocado into some guac if you've got the other ingredients for it. My favorite way to eat guacamole is with a big juicy steak. Nothing better.

J. Stanton is offline Senior Member
    Also, did you get a huge avocado or a normal one? The huge Florida avocados look impressive -- but I don't think they taste nearly as good as the Hass avocados from the west coast, which are perhaps the volume of a smallish pear.

Most avocados in stores are sold in a very unripe state. When it's ripe, the outside should have a slight give to it, you should be able to push in the broken-off stem at the end, and the pit shouldn't stick to the flesh when you pop it out.

If you want it to ripen faster, put it in a sealed bag with bananas.

However, it may just be that you don't like avocados. There is no shame in that.

Red Wire is offline Senior Member
    If you want quick and dirty guacamole just mash up ripe avocados and mix in your favorite store bought salsa.
    "One can only be a perfect physician for oneself alone. " ~ Luigi Cornaro

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    In line with thinking above, try more avocadoes. Get big ones, small ones, mushy ones, hard ones. The variation in flavor from one avo to the next is staggering. I've had some taste a bit like almonds and others taste, I swear, a little like bacon. Don't judge the whole lot by that one you didn't like. Buy some green ones a let them soften on your counter. Eat them when the area around the stem is a tad soft to the touch, but don't wait too long or it will get brown inside. The brown never tastes good unless you're reeeeeealy hungry, so if it's brown, toss it.

Nix
    Nix is offline Senior Member
    I love avocados. I agree with the Kbn1, if its not ripe its no too good. However, my boyfriend doesn't like avocados either unless I add things to them. Here's a few ways I eat my avocados.

Mush about half the avocado up. Add lemon juice. Sorry I don't measure anything. I shake the bottle a few times over the avocado mash. Fry up some bell peppers, onions, garlic, sun dried tomatoes. Grill/fry some chicken. Cube the chicken. Mix everything together. Eat it on top a salad or in an omelet.

Easy guacamole: avocado mash + favorite salsa + lemon juice = amazingness

I'll take some tuna fish in water, heat it on the stove with lot of pepper, garlic, other spices to taste, maybe a little mustard and mix it with the easy guac. I make egg bread (three eggs separated, yokes in one bowl, whites in another. To the yokes add 4 oz cream cheese and 1/2 tsp psyllium husk. Mix together until combined well. Beat the egg whites until they are stiff and fluffy and you can turn the bowl over with out them falling out... then beat them a little more. Fold in the yoke mixture. Keep it as fluffy as possible. spoon this on a greased baking pan. Bake in pre-heated oven at 175C for 25min or untill golden brown. ((you can make these before hand and store them in the frige)) this recipe makes 6 to 8 "slices") Take your tuna mixture and place it on the bread, add your favorite veggies. I like to use spinach and tomatoes (sun dried works well) and sometimes a thin slice of my favorite cheese with a dab of salsa. Put it in the oven until the cheese gets all melty and the spinach is wilting but still firm. This also look extremely pretty, so its great if you are having parties.
    Last edited by Nix; 08-17-2011 at 04:37 PM.
    Height: 5'2"
    Starting weight: 180lbs
    Current weight 130lbs

Knarf is offline Junior Member
    Perhaps try a sprinkle of kosher salt, cracked peppercorn, and cayenne. I find that brings out some ridiculous deliciousness. Otherwise, eat other primal foods you like?

No need to force yourself to do anything.

lucyh is offline Senior Member
    An avocado definitely needs to be perfectly ripe to be good. I used to hate them, but suddenly, one day I started liking them.

A really good simple salad I often make: halve an avocado and scoop out each half. Drizzle with really good olive oil, minced shallots, balsamic vinegar, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.

I also like a simple guacamole: use a fork to mash up an avocado with some minced red onion and your favorite hot sauce (I like Cholula or Tapatio) and salt to taste. If you have a lime, squeeze half of that in there too, but it's good without it.

If you don't like them, you don't. I'd try again using one of the suggestions here, but don't stress about it. I hate liver, can't eat it. I know how good it is for me, and it's cheap, and I'm not at all a picky eater. I've tried it different ways, even hidden in meatballs, and I just can't do it.
    My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

Nix
    Nix is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If you don't like your avocados feel free to send them to me!!!!!!

I'm really an avocado fiend. I love those things. We can trade, I'll send you all my celery. I HATE celery. Something about the crunch reminds me of eating beetles. Just un-nerves me.
    Height: 5'2"
    Starting weight: 180lbs
    Current weight 130lbs

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast