Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Huaraches page

tsd
    tsd is offline Member

Huaraches

Primal Fuel
    Just finished reading Born to Run by Christopher McDougall, and really enjoyed it. Now I want to go and get some huaraches for running. Luna Sandals has a DIY kit for $25. Seems like a great deal. Anybody have a pair? How do you like them? How do they compare with other minimalist/barefoot options? I have the VFF and I do love running in those, but honestly they can be a bit of a pain to get into sometimes.

ciep is online now Senior Member
    I honestly don't see the appeal in huaraches, they seem like a major hassle to me (much more so than VFFs), but then again I've never actually worn them so I could be wrong.

I read Born to Run last year and loved it as well. It inspired me to completely change my running style. I now run entirely in the "natural way" (short stride, cadence of 180, landing on my forefoot, etc) and there's no question in my mind that this is the better way to go. I like to go barefoot when possible (but I've only gone up to a mile like that), I like my VFF KSO's for longer distances, and my NB Minimus Trails (which don't have the best ground-feel but still work well when you've got the form down) for rougher terrain.

I'd be interested to hear how you like huaraches, if you decide to get them.
    Last edited by ciep; 08-20-2011 at 03:40 AM. Reason: spelling, thanks moon12

DSR84 is offline Member
    I bought the expensive Equus model, and I really liked them. I wanted Vibes, but I have an off model foot shape.

I don't run in them, though.

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    I wear a pair of huaraches made per Invisible Shoes for walking and find them just like barefoot without the sole cuts. Mind you, I don't run in them because my knees and other leg joints don't allow running just yet, but they would work quite well. In fact, the site plugs the sandals as "the running sandals worn by the Taruhumara"--not that a marketing blurb is evidence. I do know they work well for my walking.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

shacky is offline Junior Member
    I own the Luna Originals and usually run most of my races in them and often do long trail runs with them as well. All of my PRs are done in them.
    The lacing may take a while to get used to but I now use the Patrick Sweeney method (look up video on youtube) and can now lace them up in a matter of minutes.
    Also, the lace that goes between the toes may cause blisters the first couple times you run in them. Your feet will adapt. Likewise with the knot that rests on the top of your foot. You can place tape or a bandaid in this area to prevent rubbing.
    I was sent a couple pairs of Invisible Shoes to check out but have yet to strap them on and test them. Likewise, Luna is supposedly sending me a pair of Catamounts and I am eagerly awaiting them. I hope to wear them for an upcoming 50k.

davem is offline Senior Member
    $45 is pretty steep. What's the draw?

How easy are they to clear of grit? How long does that sole last? Are they pliable?
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    why not just run barefoot? i dont really get it
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

Barefoot Paul is offline Senior Member
    Why not just go barefoot?

ciep is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post
    why not just run barefoot? i dont really get it
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot Paul View Post
    Why not just go barefoot?
    That's obviously the best choice, but it takes time to build up skin that can handle it. I personally can't go more than a mile yet without my skin starting to tear. Running isn't a priority of mine, I just do it randomly for enjoyment, so I'm not sure I'll ever put in the time and effort to build up to 10+ miles in pure bare feet. For the time being, when I feel like going long I just through on my minimalist shoes.

periquin is offline Senior Member
    moon12: You got it right. Huaraches are nothing like what is being discussed here. See the picture in the link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huarache_(shoe)
    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast