Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Huaraches page 2

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by periquin View Post
    moon12: You got it right. Huaraches are nothing like what is being discussed here. See the picture in the link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huarache_(shoe)
    you will note that the picture in the wikipedia article names this as "modern huaraches." While invisibleshoes are not made of woven leather, the design is likely closer to true traditional huaraches (and, frankly, the response of the elderly Mexicana on the bus made me a believer--when I answered someone's what are those? question, she looked at my feet, smiled, and nodded).

Either way, my homemade invisibleshoes are inexpensive, comfortable, and keep the city streets from slicing up my feet.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

davem is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tangentrider View Post
    Either way, my homemade invisibleshoes are inexpensive, comfortable, and keep the city streets from slicing up my feet.
    Care to elaborate?
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I can't stand anything in between my toes, would love some type of sandal option that was minimalist but haven't come across one yet. Jesus sandals, or a gladiator type look is what I'm after.

The past two months though, I've been barefoot about 80% of the time. This will most likely change as the weather gets cold but I'm barefoot to drive, walk most places, and at work. I only really wear my shoes currently when walking to the trains and such. My feet are definitely getting used to it and feel oddly soft, yet strong. I'm excited to see how it progresses. I wish I enjoyed running a little more, but barefoot helps with that, it's definitely more engaging just to feel the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by davem View Post
    Care to elaborate?
    A couple of years ago, i bought a kit from Invisible Shoes for about $20. That pair lasted through over a year of near daily use, until one of the side holes finally gave way. Some time before this, I purchased supplies: Vibram cherry sole from a shoe supply site, string from amazon.com, and thin cork "paper" (for a bit of insulation) from a local craft shop. These supplies added up to about $10 per pair. I am currently using my second pair for transit and exercise walking. I posted a short picture post about my shoes on my blog.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

periquin is offline Senior Member
    tangentrider: tried to send a message, but unable.

I have always heard woven 'shoes' referred to as huaraches and other types, like the invisible shoe, called sandalias.

That isn't just from a contact or three. It is from speaking Spanish daily with many people from many latin nations.

I am not trying to be superior and make a point but I believe that you are a studious person and I think that you would appreciate the info.

It could be that I, my family, friends, and many contacts through the years are the wrong ones. My Casell's agrees with me though.

However, when push comes to shove, it doesn't really matter. Call them galoshes if you like.
    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    Couple of different lacing options

Teva style

rki
    rki is offline Senior Member
    Woohoo! Experience and knowledge!

I've actually owned three pair of huaraches, and I made them all myself. I got the instructions from Barefoot Ted's site (you'll know the name), and while his site has since updated I found the instructions here: Luna Sandals - How to Make from a Do-it-Yourself Kit

If I were you, I'd trying making a cheap pair to see how you like them before busting out the big bucks.

My first pair was made out of thick leather for the souls, and parachute cords for the laces (You know, that stuff that looks like really thin itty-bitty tiny climbing rope? I bought it at my local camping store). Total cost? $8. The leather totally conformed to my feet, and felt great. They didn't flop at first. Then it rained. When it was wet out, they were as slick as ice, and they began to flop more. I still wore them until they died an honorable death when I ran into an unexpected layer of snow on a hike.

The second and third pair I used the vibram shoe rubber stuff that was for sale on Ted's website. I still use parachute cord, and the only real difference I made was coating the knot that goes between the toes and is on the underside of the shoe with "Shoe-goo" which makes the cord last much longer. The rubber flops a little more than the leather did, so running with them isn't very easy, but because of an injury, I'm not really running much, so I can't tell you if you get used to it.

I can tell you I'm using them because my toes are all funny and VFF's don't work with me (sadly). I like them, and I think they're worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by periquin View Post
    tangentrider: tried to send a message, but unable.

I have always heard woven 'shoes' referred to as huaraches and other types, like the invisible shoe, called sandalias.

That isn't just from a contact or three. It is from speaking Spanish daily with many people from many latin nations.

I am not trying to be superior and make a point but I believe that you are a studious person and I think that you would appreciate the info.

It could be that I, my family, friends, and many contacts through the years are the wrong ones. My Casell's agrees with me though.

However, when push comes to shove, it doesn't really matter. Call them galoshes if you like.
    Honestly, I'm only going by the invisibleshoe site and the response of the lady on the bus. In my regular life I call my sandals "sandals."

Their official name I do not know, but I do know they are cheap, comfortable, and (by going basically barefoot) have helped strengthen my arches. I am happy with them whatever they are called.

davem is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tangentrider View Post
    A couple of years ago, i bought a kit from Invisible Shoes for about $20.
    I'm going to check that out and your picture post. You're the best! Would be interesting to explore on the cheap.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by davem View Post
    I'm going to check that out and your picture post. You're the best! Would be interesting to explore on the cheap.
    You're quite welcome. BTW, another bonus, is that once you get the sandal making process down, you can whip out a pair of new sandals in no time at all. My last pair took about 10 minutes of labor and 30 minutes or so of drying time (I attach a layer of cork as insulation).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast