Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Downward facing dog heel pain page

Nethru is offline Member

Downward facing dog heel pain

Shop Now
    Anyone ever get heel pain on the outside of the heel from doing downward facing dog or any similar type possition with legs straight and foot bent up toward head? I went to the foot dr after 3 weeks of pain and he gave me Voltaris (sp) to rub on my foot to see if that reduces the inflimation (1 week so far and no pain relief) and he thinks i might have tweaked a nerve. 1 runs down your whole body to your foot in that general area.

Just wondering if anyone else had this kind of pain and how they were able to make it go away?

His next step is to pop a needle with steroids into my foot which I would prefer not to do but if the pain doesn't go away not sure what other options there are. He did mention that my achiles is very tight for someone my age (only 35).
    ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

tcb
    tcb is offline Senior Member
    Outside of the heel where?

davem is offline Senior Member
    In downward? Heel no!

I'm a bit tight and have to work to get my heels on the floor, but I couldn't imagine heel pain in that position...

Have plantar fasciitis?
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Nethru is offline Member
    It's like on the outer side of the heel not right under the foot. Doc doesn't think it's plantar fasc he said it seems like a nerve problem which he said could take a couple months to heal I hope he's wrong and it heals faster was just currious if anyone else had this problem.

The pain is sorta like needles or things are tearing on the outside part of my heel and burns really bad.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    best bet, honestly, is to work without putting the heels on the floor.

the biggiest issue in practicing this pose is that people forget that this is really about the rotation of the hips and the alignment of the spine, rather than whether or not the heels touch the ground.

eventually, they do, when you have the flexibility for it (in the whole back of the body, including in the heels), then the heels will touch naturally, without any effort. so having the heels up and working on getting the back completely flat is the right way to go.

also, you have to make sure you are lifting the arches properly when doing the posture, and lifting the ankles, as to not cause undue pressure in the foot, ankle, etc.

Sack of Potatoes is offline Junior Member
    I think you're pushing way too hard. There's a phrase Erich Shiffman uses- "playing the edge" to indicate how much sensation you should seek in any pose. Find the outside edge of your comfort zone, in other words, and flirt with going a bit deeper with your breath. But never do yourself this kind of injury. You improve very gradually, but improvement isn't even the main focus. Finding a kind of equilibrium with your current state is more the focus. And I agree with this even from my own Ashtanga standpoint, which I characterize as one of the more physical and muscular forms.

Nethru is offline Member
    I hear ya. Thing is i'm not even sure if it was Yoga that cause the injury I just noticed it while doing downdog but also feel it when I walk sometimes and other positions like one armed pushups etc.. Basically any time my leg is fully extended and foot bends up toward head.

Will see how it goes in a couple weeks before I go back to doc.

jswanz1 is offline Member
    Sound like you have pretty straightforward foot and ankle dysfunction preventing unrestricted dorsiflexion of the ankle. Simply put, the joints in your foot and ankle aren't moving the way they should stressing the surrounding structures.

I'd bet those structures are likely the fibuarlis longus and brevis muscle tendons. They wrap behind the outside ankle bone (distal end of the fibula/lateral malleous), and these are likely the source of the pain you are feeling. Take a look at the following image and see if they are about where your pain is: http://catalog.nucleusinc.com/imagescooked/5406W.jpg

I also don't think you would benefit from any sort of injection. One, it will probably not help you, and, two, it will only potentially weaken your tendons further. In my opinion you are better off going to a physical therapist that practices solid manual therapy to address your joint and soft tissue dysfunctions.

MissChris is offline Junior Member
    hi there. I have exactly the same thing! I started doing yoga intensely about 3 months ago. It started as a tingling feeling in the back of my heel everytime i did downward dog and then developed into what is now a burning sensation. I've had to stop doing yoga as it just hurts too much to do downward dog now. The pain isn't there unless I keep my leg straight and pull my toes back... if mg leg is bent and i pull my toes back (with no calf stretch) it feels fine. I'm wondering if you ever resolved this problem? I'm not sure whether it's a podiatrist or physio i should be seeing for this?

Trimom4 is offline Junior Member

Heal pain with downward dog yoga

Quote Originally Posted by MissChris View Post
    hi there. I have exactly the same thing! I started doing yoga intensely about 3 months ago. It started as a tingling feeling in the back of my heel everytime i did downward dog and then developed into what is now a burning sensation. I've had to stop doing yoga as it just hurts too much to do downward dog now. The pain isn't there unless I keep my leg straight and pull my toes back... if mg leg is bent and i pull my toes back (with no calf stretch) it feels fine. I'm wondering if you ever resolved this problem? I'm not sure whether it's a podiatrist or physio i should be seeing for this?
    I have just had the same thing happen! It was in yoga 3 weeks ago. You describe everything exactly like I have.i started yoga 4 months ago and then BAM it just happened. Acute tingling and burning during position. I walk fine.i swim fine except for the push off the wall on turning. Same as you. No pain unless my leg is straight and pull toes back. Am seeing an ART massage therapist.after 3 sessions he believes it is the Peroneus tendon. I'm resting it, icing,anti inflam amd fascia release.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast