Thread: Naturally Occuring Preservative Could Give Meats a Three-Year Shelf Life page

Saoirse is offline Senior Member

Naturally Occuring Preservative Could Give Meats a Three-Year Shelf Life

Primal Fuel
    Those of us who want to keep meat from spoiling for more than a few weeks have had limited options till now. We can cure it into bacon or sausage; freeze it or dry it; or buy it supermarket-"fresh" in a shrink-wrapped envelope. Now Daniel J. O'Sullivan, a professor at the U. of Minnesota, has a new solution that might keep a piece of meat fresh for years on the shelf. cont...

ewww...though this sounds like it has been done before in the form of fermented meats.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    So all I need to do to preserve my food is put it in my gut? Sounds like something I've been doing for years anyway.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Daemonized is online now Senior Member
    Reminds me of the bit from Oh Brother Where Art Thou

This stew's awful good.
    -Think so? I slaughtered this horse last Tuesday; 'm afraid she's startin' to turn.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    though, i think fermented meats are preserved by bacteria, and this article is saying that they would use a byproduct of the fermentation process. sort of the same thing but not really. i imagine the flavor would be altered considerably.

New Renaissance is offline Senior Member
    Holy moley. Why not just preserve it like our grandparents did with salt smoke and spices? How hard is that?

And Daemonized, that fits it perfectly. Yack

New Renaissance is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    though, i think fermented meats are preserved by bacteria, and this article is saying that they would use a byproduct of the fermentation process. sort of the same thing but not really. i imagine the flavor would be altered considerably.
    It would definitely add a nice vomitty flavor to the sausage.