Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The "cambered hand" push-up page

iniQuity is offline Senior Member

The "cambered hand" push-up

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Tim Bathurst of Beast Skills linked to this: The Cambered Hand Push Up on his facebook page. I read about that hand position from Tim first when he recounted his trip to a Circus school where an older hand balancer told him to try his handstands that way. I played around with it and it does feel more stable for a handstand (though I don't have one yet) but never though of doing push-ups the same way. I'll try it when I get home tonight, figured I'd share.

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    I've used this technique in handstands a few times (I also saw it on beastskills!) but didn't feel any significant difference. I really haven't played around with it enough to say for sure though.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I felt that you can use your fingers more to counter-balance but I don't really have a proper handstand yet so I can't say if one position is better than the other. I think in his beastskills post he said the older hand balancer guy said it was a stronger position for the one-arm handstand and that most Chinese gymnasts practice that way.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i just banged out a quick set of push ups using the cambered hand to try it out. i can definitely see how it would reduce tricep fatigue like he mentioned in the article. i definitely felt it more in my hands and forearms than i usually do. i'll give it more of a try later when i'm not in the middle of an office, but i like what i read. i'm hoping it can help with my handstand because that is piss poor right now.

ciep is offline Senior Member
    I naturally do the cambered hand when practicing planches because I feel like it gives me the best stability. I just tried a handstand with it though and actually felt less in control. Not sure why the difference...

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    so i tried these with my workout today...much less fatigue in my in my arms until i started reaching the end of my second round (ladders up to 10 and down for 100 each round). i could feel a difference in my shoulders and and chest, and did feel like i could focus more on keeping my torso as rigid as possible...so just about everything in the article worked the way it should for me, even if they were minor differences. one major change was in my hands and forearms; they were on fire.
    i tried the cambered hand doing hspu's, but didn't really like it. i'm still up against a wall for those, but usually i only need it as a guide or to keep me from falling. today, i felt like i was leaning against it more. i'm not sure, but i think it might have something to do with my fingers being closer together, and thus covering less ground area. usually i spread my fingers wide and get a solid push off my fingertips and palms...not to much today.

i think i'll keep playing around with this. thanks for posting it, iniquity.

jhc
    jhc is offline Senior Member
    n/m.
    Last edited by jhc; 08-17-2011 at 09:49 PM.

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Interesting. I have always naturally gravitated towards this position, possible due to a previous wrist injury, so that would make sense.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

scotchncoffee is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm. This is the hand position I fall back into when doing fingertip pushups after I max out and want to finish the set. It didn't feel any better than a standard pushup, but my joints are conditioned from martial arts.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    When I was in AIT (Army school after basic traning) one of my drill sergeants taught us this. He was a body builder and took a small set of us (I think 10 out of the whole company) and had us do different PT than the rest of the company. We all maxed out our PT tests after 3 weeks. The easiest one was the pushup due to this hand position, IMO. It does help a lot.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast