Thread: here we go page

scottp0107 is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Hey all, just dropping by to introduce myself. I'm 25 years old, about 5'9" and about 235. I've been hovering between 220-235 for the most part of the past 6-7 years and have always been on the larger side. Recently I've been getting into living more healthily and have been working out with a trainer for the past month or so. I am seeing my body composition getting better with the workouts, but am not losing the weight I want to. I attribute this to losing some fat but gaining muscle, which is not bad by any means, but I do need to also drop quite a bit of weight. This has led me to start investigating more along the nutrition side and now here I am.

I was initially skeptical of the whole primal blueprint thing, as I assume most people are when they first hear about it after being bombarded with CW for all their lives. The more I read about it, however, the more convinced I became. I did pick up the book and have read through it as well as a lot of this website and forum. I have good calories/bad calories as well and it is next on my reading list.

I have slowly begun starting to incorporate more and more primal eating into my normal habits with the intent of going mostly primal after I get home from christmas with the family. What convinced me was a little experiment I ran this weekend. I ate 100% primal all weekend and didnt think too much about it, eating high fat foods that would normally make me not feel so great after eating them, with the major exception of no grain. I felt fine after eating. Then today at lunch I went out with some coworkers and had a burger and fries and the usual bloated feeling was right there. I cant believe it was that simple.

I think the biggest problem I am going to have with the whole primal thing is eating salads, I have never been a salad eater. It is the lettuce, its weird, but I can not stand it. I dont mind salads with other greens like spinach, so I think I am going to have to go that route for now and see how it goes.

Anyway, thats my story. I'll post some updates from time to time, hopefully it will go well.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Welcome, Scott! Glad to hear you decided to look into the nutrition side of the equation -- I think you'll find that, when it comes to fat loss, nutrition is far and away the most important side.

Does your personal trainer have you lifting heavy things and sprinting, as opposed to doing a lot of steady-state cardio?

Don't worry about the lettuce thing! Spinach has more nutritional bang for your buck anyway. I almost never buy lettuce, but I always have a huge bag of spinach on hand. Also, if you aren't crazy about salads, there are a million other ways to eat your veggies.

Looking forward to your updates.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

scottp0107 is offline Junior Member

yeah, the studio i'm training at is all about functional fitness. All of the trainers there are RKC of IKFF certified on kettlebells. They also do a lot of body weight stuff, sledgehammer training, and all sorts of other crazy things that keep it from becoming boring. I'm really enjoying it so far.