Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you think the Primal Blueprint is for everyone? page 2

scotchncoffee is offline Senior Member
    It depends on whether we are talking about the strict, by-the-letter Primal Blueprint, or the philosophy of the concept. If it's the former, then no. If I read correctly, the philosophy behind the PB is to optimize nutrition and exercise to coincide with our gene expression. This will work for everyone since it allows for tailoring of the strict PB for individual genetics. I, for instance, handle dairy well and exercise often, so whole milk, some sweet potatoes, and the occasional white rice in sushi are all a go for me. Some people can handle nuts. Some people can handle coffee or tea. Some people respond best to ketosis, carb-refeeds, fasting, or any of the other diet modifications, and these are all philosophically primal because they are the best expression of that individual's genetics.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna Grace View Post
    As i said, i myself have problems with gluten, but although i follow a gluten-free diet, i feel that my body just 'works' better if i eat some rice or kumara (sweet potato) on a daily basis (usually with breakfast, sometimes but not always other meals). this may seem taboo to primal folk - but i feel as though it is better for me. So again - is there perhaps a chance that i am one of the people the PB just 'doesn't work' for? Or should it be, in your opinion, the optimum diet for absolutely everyone.
    Hey Anna, some find they do *much* better by adding in primal carbs/starches, and many include (white) rice in this. Check out this thread on starchy carb sources: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread19263.html Also the recs of the Perfect Health Diet The Diet | Perfect Health Diet may be very helpful for you/in line w/ your needs. I believe we each have unique needs, but eating in a primal manner (focusing on real foods, avoiding gluten and sugar etc) should be helpful for most people. I think folks may get into trouble w/ primal when they consume foods that they react to/are intolerant of (for ex. eating 8 eggs a day w/ an unrecognized egg intolerance, etc) or don't eat the right macronutrient ratios for their own bodies. Some need higher carb, some need lower carb, more fat, less fat, more protein, less protein--and its really quite individual, often based on activity levels, current weight (and the need to lose/gain weight etc), age, gender and more. It's really something you need to figure out for yourself with trial and error.

What you have described (adding the rice and sweet potato) sounds perfectly primal to me, personally. Some folks seem to do much better eating a bit of starch. Also, check Mark's posts on rice and tubers/potatoes for his take on these things.

HTH! I say keep using PB as much as it works for you. Tweak it to find your own *sweet spot*!
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

gojirama is offline Senior Member
    I'm a starchy carb more paleo than primal type. What I do works well for me because I was already at a healthy weight and metabolically healthy when I found PB. Everyone has to custom tailor it.
    (Also, you can wear normal shoes and shower and still be PB )
    I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
    Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
    "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".

SteakNchop is offline Senior Member
    Why do you need to eat by a book? Eat how you think you should eat.

Nion is offline Senior Member
    Oh dang, now i want some Kumara, you made me homesick lol
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

sroelofs is offline Senior Member
    It surprises me that when many people discuss the efficacy of PB they only talk diet. Remember PB is a full lifestyle, not a diet. So I would question that for those that PB didn't help, were they just following the diet aspect? Remember, the other components (sprints, heavy lifting etc) are also key components in readjusting your body back to it's more natural state.

So, to the OP, what does the rest of your lifestyle look like? Did you have any success incorporating the rest of the lifestyle?

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    If your body needs kumara to feel good, then go for it, I say! Everyone's different, you sound like you need more carbs to feel good. I get like that when I hit normal weight myself.

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member
    I feel there's enough wiggle-room within PB to adjust according to your own needs. Remember - there is also the 80/20 rule, should you need more of an adjustment. But do give it a fair shot before giving up.

tim_1522 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sroelofs View Post
    It surprises me that when many people discuss the efficacy of PB they only talk diet. Remember PB is a full lifestyle, not a diet. So I would question that for those that PB didn't help, were they just following the diet aspect? Remember, the other components (sprints, heavy lifting etc) are also key components in readjusting your body back to it's more natural state.

So, to the OP, what does the rest of your lifestyle look like? Did you have any success incorporating the rest of the lifestyle?
    I agree with this 100%

What you eat, yes! But...

-Being physically active in a way that allow optimal gene expression.
    -Get enough sleep
    -PLAY, damnit!
    -Minimize and manage stress

are ALL just as important!

But, one comment on the "Diet" aspect. When you cut the carbs, did you ramp up a corresponding (from a caloric standpoint) amount of healthy fat? Cutting carbs, but leaving fat consumption where it was at before was a first class BITCH for me. I felt just the way you described...like I was missing something and I wasn't seeing much progress at the scale. Turns out that I was pretty much starving myself. I just read the chapter on "Hunger" in GCBC by Taubes and the experience I was going through (including the lack of weight loss) makes total sense now.

Luckily, I sorta figured this out and upped my fat consumption -- coconut milk was my friend -- and it made all the difference in the world. I now walk by plates of carb crap (like pretzels, bagels, pastries, etc.) at work without even feeling a tinge.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The wife is Swedish and can easily digest milk. Makes me mad, but it's true. So she doesn't have to avoid it, especially since converting to raw milk. Me? I just ate the meat trimmings from a 5 lb. pile of fat cuts I'm rendering. Best pile of fatty meat in my life? Yes. Am I satisfied? Very much so. I probably won't need dinner, maybe just a plate of veggies for the nutrition of it. PB DOES fit my nutritional needs, so I am a huge fan. I just bought some sweet potatoes and fried one up yesterday. I found little satisfaction in the starchy item. I genuinely have come to know fats as my main energy provider. I don't want to lean down too much, so I'm eating the potatoes to stay a little soft. But I know if I didn't try to maintain my weight here at around 170 pounds I'd look ridiculously lean. This down from a grain-fed and puffy 215 pounds. I'm better off this way, easily.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast