Thread: Coconut milk with PWO weight gainer shake page

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Coconut milk with PWO weight gainer shake

I have a weight gainer shake that I drink post workout

roughly 45 grams of protein and about 60 of carbs

would I get fat if I add some coconut milk to it? say some 35 grams fat.

770 calories in total.

keep in mind that i am currently experimenting with a high-carb low-fat diet diet, that's why I'm concerned about combining fat+carbs. but I need to add some saturated fats somewhere.

also, I read that the fat in coconut cannot be stored as bodyfat. what sorcery is this?
    ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>
    ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    Why add all that fat to a post-workout shake? It's going to drastically slow down digestion, not allowing you to get the benefit of a surge of carbs & protein in the post-workout window.

And yeah, it's true that coconut is predominantly MCFA, which tends to just get burned up as energy. But it does still have a fair amount of LCFA's, so it's no magic bullet in that regard.

I also recall an argument that consuming a lot of MCFA could actually be detrimental to an extent, as your body is going to preferentially use that as energy, and may not end up tapping into your stored energy. I'll have to do some digging to elaborate on this one.
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaohinon View Post
    Why add all that fat to a post-workout shake? It's going to drastically slow down digestion, not allowing you to get the benefit of a surge of carbs & protein in the post-workout window.
    Well it will serve as a meal replacement since I'll be in school without food for a long time. I could have the coconut milk another time but I thought it would be very tasty with the shake...

Quote Originally Posted by Chaohinon View Post
    And yeah, it's true that coconut is predominantly MCFA, which tends to just get burned up as energy. But it does still have a fair amount of LCFA's, so it's no magic bullet in that regard.

I also recall an argument that consuming a lot of MCFA could actually be detrimental to an extent, as your body is going to preferentially use that as energy, and may not end up tapping into your stored energy. I'll have to do some digging to elaborate on this one.
    I'm already eating very low-fat so that shouldn't be a concern.
    ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>
    ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>