Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (PlastiqueFruit) page

Primal Journal (PlastiqueFruit)

Primal Fuel
    I'm officially ending day 2 of my primal journey and decided to start a journal. If i tell you all what i eat, maybe i can stop myself from slip sliding back into my grain eating ways.

My name is Richard, I live in Oak Park, IL, though I'm originally from a cornfield in the middle of nowhere, Illinois. I'm a web designer/photographer/whatever else my company needs. I read like books are water and I've been in the desert for 40 years. Mostly sci-fi and fantasy(I'm pretty much a nerd, And Proud of it!).I grew up on grains, being half hispanic and half farmer. And up until saturday, I loved to bake. Pies, cakes, brownies, cookies. All those grain heavy, sugar full deliciously flaky crumbly sweet things. And I was good at it.

You can see how this is gonna be difficult for me.

I actually found Marks Daily apple through a kitchen site, while looking for more pastries to bake. I read one article then another and so on. I bought the book on my kindle and I read it over the weekend. I made my decision Sunday night, and have been living primal for two days.

I'm 24, 6'2 238lbs, and have never ever been in shape. Time for that to change.
    "Fat gives things flavor." -Julia Child
    "It's perfect! Even if it's not, who cares. No excuses." -Julia Child

A cast iron skillet is a lifestyle, not a tool.

My sunshine and bacon filled journal

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Richard from a fellow nerdy webmaster. Think of the creative challenge of baking with alternative flours! Almond, coconut, etc.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

What I ate today:

Breakfast: 2 eggs fried in butter, half a cucumber, a peach, possibly some cherry tomatos.

Lunch: chicken thighs baked in a bag with 3 sliced garlic gloves, salt, pepper, rosemary, marjoram, thyme. okra and carrot slices pan fired with a bit of butter and then drizzled with the juices form the chicken bag. (The garlic get super soft and delicious.) Then an apple and the smallest most adorable pear I have ever seen.

Dinner: diced pepper sliced cucumber cherry tomato salad with balsamic vinegar and a tin of sardines with the oil. And a peach.

no ill effects yet. Walked to the gym then did some easy run walk cycles. used the assisted pull up machine. I have almost no upper body strength. This was the first year I could do a push up and that took forever for me to accomplish. Chin up is next! Until tomorrow, have a good night.

Oh Hedonist, I don't know. I've had gluten free baked goods, and it just never feels right. I don't know if I can do that. Maybe after a while. I need to put some distance between myself and the memories

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PlastiqueFruit View Post
    Oh Hedonist, I don't know. I've had gluten free baked goods, and it just never feels right. I don't know if I can do that. Maybe after a while. I need to put some distance between myself and the memories
    Sure. I understand.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

yesterday's meals!

Breakfast: 2 Poached eggs. At least I attempted to poach eggs. Not so successful. started out with three. I think I'm NOT gonna do that again. a peach, couple of cherry tomatoes

lunch: chicken in a bag same as the day before. I cook two meals at a time.

dinner: tin of sardines. apple. Had to run from home to my FMA class.

went to Filipino martial arts. I've been doing it for about a month and a bit. I'm not near any one else in the class, who have all had extensive training in other disciplines. This is my first one, but I really love it. Still feel like the fat, slow kid in class though. Oh well. Practice practice practice. Going to a chevelle concert at the congress theatre tonight! I"m so excited.

Have a lovely day everyone.

today! thursday august 18, 2011

With minutes left in the day. I'll start this post, but probably finish it after the clock strikes 12. Hopefully I won't turn into a pumpkin.

breakfast: 3 egg omlet with scallions and 3 delicious slices of bacon. Gotta keep my Cast iron seasoned well.

Lunch: pan cooked chuck roast.( i cooked it in the leftover bacon grease, is that so wrong?) grilled green onions and Brussel sprouts. (I think next time i buy the cheapest cut of meat I'm gonna slow cook it though. it was crazy tough in some pieces.)

Dinner: A peach, some cherry tomatoes then later on a carnitas salad from chipotle.

No workout today, but I did attend a concert at The congress theater here in Chicago. Chevelle and Bush, So awesome, even more awesome since it was free! i got a lot of push and pull after the crowd started moshing. I don't know if it counts as a workout, but it sure works up a sweat.

You know it's only day four, but I'm starting to miss corn, but only nostalgically. I don't crave it, but I just miss it. Weird huh? Then again I'm also the guy who gave a eulogy to an old book light that had finally broken into an unfix-able, unusable state. My partner gives me weird looks when i do things like that.

So I love tomatoes and the other edible members of the nightshade family, but should I avoid them? I don't seem to have a reaction to them. I'm half Guatemalan so new world foods don't have a great effect on me.

I just read that okra is part of the mallow family. The same family as the cacao! I find that awesome as I happen to adore okra. And chocolate.

Ok, still not a pumpkin. good.

Have a good night!

Good evening And welcome to day five.

Breakfast: three slices of bacon, three eggs fried in bacon fat. So god damn delicious. frozen cherries, originally pitted and frozen for use in a pie, but that's not gonna happen anymore. And seriously, frozen tart cherries are the most incredible thing.

Lunch: chuck roast. brussel sprouts. cebollitas. An apple and a tiny pear.

Dinner: Salad with kale, spinach, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, a few pumpkin and sunflower seeds. topped off with balsamic vinegar and a tin of sardines(oil included). seriously delicious. Finished off the bag of frozen cherries.

I may be eating too much fruit. I ate about five cups of frozen cherries today. My sweet tooth is searching for any port in this storm.

If i can offer any advice at this point, it's this: SLOW COOK INEXPENSIVE CUTS. Just leave in over night with enough liquid to cover on low. Liquid can be water or water with some sort odf stock or wine or sauce. throw some onions or herbs in there if you want or just season afterwards with salt and pepper/other spice. I like fat as much as the next person, but having to chew it for five minutes kind of kills the joy.

I'm kind of coming into this lifestyle after recently overcoming my fear of cooking meat. Growing up it was a lot of salmonella this, E. Coli that. One of the reasons I baked. Seemed safer. So if my experiences seem amateur, that's cause they are. but still delicious. so delicious.

Just informed my boyfriend of my dietary changes. I don't think he really gets what I"m trying to do, but he's a kind soul who puts up with a lot of my crazy.

Do a lot of the problems we have center on the cool factor? Why did it stop being cool to play around and act silly and insane and just happy? When did I start feeling shame for enjoying grass between my toes and the dirt on my feet? At some point.

Walked to the gym, I'm currently on week 3 day 2 of the couch to 5 k program. I'm doing an easy pace, 4mph walk, 6mph run. I was going faster than that earlier in the year, but i got crazy sick and was out for lie a month and had respiratory issues for another one after. So I started again and I'm taking it slower, which is just as hard I'm finding. Running on a treadmill in vibrams is weird. Cause the thing vibrates. You can't feel it in gym shoes, but vibrams vibrate.

The pull up remains elusive. I've been using the assisted pullup machine and I'm progressing, but not enough to even do the flexed arm hang on a regular bar. It's a bit depressing. Not unexpected mind you, but unsettling just the same.

that's all for tonight! Have a good one!

cavemeri is offline Junior Member
    As I read your blog, I noticed you were eating lots of fruits. I think you'll feel better if you cut them back. I have days where I only eat meats.

Breakfast
    Steak, homemade pork sausage, or hamburger patty
    veggie omelet or Protein Pancake (eggs, coconut milk, vanilla, cinnamon) with coconut nectar.

Lunch
    Coconut fried shrimp

Dinner
    Meat and veggies.

I found a great vegetable slaw at my Kroger. I cook that with tuna, lemon juice and coconut milk.

Lemme know if you need any other ideas. I found a great recipe for coconut flour tortillas...going to try them as a sandwich wrap tomorrow maybe...

BTW, I'm from central Illinois. Peoria.
    Lost a bunch the old fashioned way.
    Lost 30 the HCG way.
    Trying to get "there" the Paleo way....

Yeah I think you're right cavemeri. I just wish fruit wasn't so delicious. I've never cooked with coconut flour, or coconut milk, but hey I'm up for the challenge. You mind sharing the recipe for the tortillas?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast