Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need ideas to convince parents page

Shazkar is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

how do i convince my parents that eggs arent bad for me

not that it matters that much because im only home for a few weeks, but it will be an intolerable few weeks

i mean jeez, today i ate 3 eggs for breakfast w/broccoli and tomatoes. lunch was salad with tuna and avocado. had a single fried egg as a snack in later afternoon. that seems like a pretty healthy day dont you think?

my mom's all like, you're going to DIE because you eat so many eggs! blah blah blah

i mean really, my brother ate freaking processed frozen chicken and cheese taquitos for lunch and they don't say anything (well, other than, "its okay, he is younger"... he's almost 19 i'm 22, and i think in large part because he is thin as a rail and i have a bit of belly chub)

but honestly, i spend most of the year at school away from them and control my own diet, and next year i have a job lined up in another state, so it's not an issue most of the time, but it would be nice to have them at the very least be accepting of what i choose to put into MY body (supportive would be nice, but unlikely)

anyone have like a good sciency article... like from NEJM or something? (dad's a doctor, things like that are things he will trust)

or i dont know, other ideas?

further things:

my dad makes some indian style scrambled eggs and i'm like, what oil are you using? and it's canola, and i say you should use ghee (of which we keep lots around, being indian and all), it'll taste better. and then they do the whole !!! SATURATED FAT !!! thing. and i'm saying how canola oil is bad, use olive oil at least, and they tell me canola oil is the most healthy oil, it is unsaturated fat!

i really do not know what to do

or what to say that won't make me look like, as they say, i just read some random thing on the internet and believed it

this is just ridiculous

maba is offline Senior Member

Shazkar, you should give them a copy of Sally Fallon's "Nourishing Traditions" or Nina Planck's "Real Food". Both belong to the Weston A. Price school and promote traditional foods high in fats. I'm sure your parents would be more receptive to the fact that they promote traditional foods over modern, processed foods. Infact, NT even has some recipes from India. In RF, Nina Planck talks about how the government came up with a random RDA for cholesterol based on a political agenda and not on any sound scientific research. Even if your parents don't turn primal, hopefully these books will help them go back to their roots and eat nourishing foods and avoid modern frankenfoods. Good luck convincing them.

Mr.M is offline Senior Member

Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes, is pretty solid for reference too.

You could also get your cholesterol/blood/etc tested and show them the results.

erik.cisler is offline Junior Member

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/pmc/articles/PMC2265719/ - Eggs modulate the inflammatory response to low carb diets in overweight men

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/pmc/articles/PMC1386675/ - Plasma LDL and HDL are positively influence by egg consumption

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/pmc/articles/PMC2174488/ - Low carb diets high either red meat or seafood/poultry spur weight loss while leaving lipid numbers relatively unchanged

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/pmc/articles/PMC2585565/ - Moderate carbohydrate, moderate protein weight loss diet reduces cardiovascular disease risk compared to high carbohydrate, low protein diet in obese adults (just imagine if they had gone truly low carb)

The evidence is out there and in plain view. People simply choose to ignore it. I hope your parents do not.

paleo_piper is offline Junior Member

Ahhh parents. Mine are giving me the same spiel while I'm about the relations this week. I was cooking some lamb after a breakfast of eggs and onion and I got the "that's unhealthy" lecture. "Eat more like your brother!" What was he having?

Msg laden soup and rice with a potato on the side.

one_eye_mike Guest

Part of becoming an adult is making your own decisions and living with the consequences. Quit trying to convince them of any thing and quit engaging them in discussions about nutrition.

I'm 45 years-old and my Mother, on occasion, still tries to either pry or lecuture me about certain things. I either change the subject or ignore her. You have to set boundries.

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member

I think with Indians it is best to talk about traditions.

Ask them what traditionally vegetarian societies eat in India. Why?

The answer is our body needs Vitamin K2 and short chain fatty acids, like Butyrate. Tell them Brahmins and Vasyas wouldn't survive on a vegetarian diet without Ghee.

Ask them what do old strong people say why they are strong. They all say that they had eaten ghee when young. The answer is same. Our body needs vitamin K2 to build healthy bones.

Ask them what is our brain made up of. It has a lot of Cholesterol. If cholesterol goes down then brain death results. Show them google search on Lipitor and Dementia. They are quite well correlated.

Tell them you don't want to lose your brains by eating less cholesterol ;-).

Also tell them Saturated fat cannot be avoided, because Carbohydrates are converted into Saturated fat (Palmitic acid) in our body. Fibers are converted by bacteria to Butyrate another saturated fat.

Incidently Vitamin K2 also prevents Heart diseases by reducing Calcium from the arteries. Also Fish oil reduces the tendency of blood to clot, which prevents heart attacks.

Canola is being called heart healthy because a lot of money is involved. Same with Saffola. Maybe you can present them with Good Calories Bad Calories.

Kay
    Kay is offline Member

I'm with one-eye-pike here. Don't try to convince your parents because then you are playing the role of the child.

You're an adult. Tell her you respectfully heard her the first time, that you disagree and you don't want to hear one more word about it. I've had to make up a few disagreeable confrontations at home but showing that you're willing to stand your ground while still being respectful is the only way to go.

You can not convince anyone of anything if they don't want to be convinced in the first place. You have to make them curious.

Kay
    Kay is offline Member

Also, you can turn the table, let her convince you that eggs are bad and that you're not going to listen to doc's advice or a magazine article, you want scientific research like what you read already. And unless she comes with something good, you'll continue eating eggs.

Shazkar is offline Junior Member

Good points, all. Thanks for the links.

Was actually going to go buy a copy of GCBC today to read myself, but since I'll be vacationing with the family I can show them the book.

My parents aren't being antagonistic or restrictive or anything, my mom bought me a dozen eggs yesterday when I asked her, she just says she is worried about me. And I'd rather the people who've invested so much time and money in me not worry too much about me.

I am only with them for 3 weeks right now for break and I'm moving out this summer for a job elsewhere, so it isn't really that huge of a deal, but I appreciate all the advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast