Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody receive non-primal gifts? page

lars1000 is offline Member

Shop Now

A co-worker just gave me a large bag of chocolate caramels that I'll need to to re-gift. I'm not very vocal about being primal to my work friends but they have noticed my different food choices when we go out to eat.

Question is, do I give this away knowing that it's no good for anyone to eat?

maba is offline Senior Member

Same here, our insurance agent sent us a big basket of corporate gift - cinnamon mints or some such candy made of sugar syrup, some trail mix-like thingy that looks plasticky and has 40+ ingredients, more than half of which I can't pronounce and a pack of mixed nuts and dried fruit, whose ingredients list hydrogenated oil, HFCS and food coloring among others. We are not going to eat it for sure and I have garnered the reputation for eating healthy at work and it would be at odds if I were to bring it in, not that I want to. Seriously, why would anyone want to give such gifts, total waste of money. And we end up feeling guilty throwing it away or re-gifting it.

One of the forum members suggested putting non-primal foods in a paper bag and leaving it outside your home with a note saying whoever wants can take it. I still don't know what to do with ours

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

If you're homeless and/or starving, those snacks of yours would be a big step up from nothing. Maybe they can trade some of the sweets for something they need more?

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

Your local food banks will accept things like this.

jpickett1968 Guest

I love the idea of giving non-primal to the homeless. What many don't realize is that children can be homeless too. Calories or not, that would make the day of any child without a home - and would bring a smile to their parents.

jc2bg Guest

Food-gifts is a psychological toughie for me. Yesterday, a friend brought me not 1 but 2 of her homemade fruitcakes. She makes these every year, and I've always praised them, but just in the past 2 months I've started PB. She doesn't know I'm off sugar and grains, I wouldn't hurt her feelings for the world, and it's not easy to re-gift homemade food items anyway.

Fortunately, these fruitcakes are not that big (about a pound each) and keep for months without spoiling. If I don't find a family member who loves fruitcake, I may be stuck. (I wouldn't give them away if they were not going to be fully appreciated.) I may have to bite the bullet next year and tell my friend that it's no dice. We don't exchange gifts, however: she has simply always shared her batch of fruitcakes [that she bakes for family] with me.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

Regift it to your letter carrier! My hubby (a letter carrier) is coming home every night with tote-bags full of stuff, and I have the feeling that much of it is probably a regifting! Then I regift some of it to our letter carrier, the UPS delivery man, etc.

We've got lots of stuff that I'm definitely keeping. Nut and fruit baskets, dark chocolate bars from Trader Joe's, etc.

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member

We usually give the food stuffs we don't eat to our church and they use them for their homeless out-reach. Someone gave me a bunch of banana bread that I'll probably give to them.

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

Bring it to your office and let everyone have a crack at it.

By the way, I think it sounds so ridiculously uppity to say Should I throw them away or re-gift knowing they're bad for you". Come on! Don't be such a snub. I'm sorry, but a lot of people put time and heart in making those home-made gifts. If you don't want it, there are more than plenty of people out there who would appreciate the fact that it's home made.

I'm sorry, but this is just rude Certainly don't throw that stuff away.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

I bring it to work and put it in the break room. They are demolished in minutes.

I did eat some peanut butter cookies with the hershey's kiss center and some "oreo balls" last night... so good

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast