Thread: Rewards- yay or nay? page

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member

Rewards- yay or nay?

Primal Fuel
    You know how when people diet they reward themselves for every 10 pound loss by buying something for themselves, like a piece of clothing they've been eyeing or a massage? I kind of wanted to do something like that to create even more incentive for doing well in pb, such as maintaining carbs below 50 for 2 weeks straight, or losing a pants size, or something. Do you guys think this is a good idea, and what metrics do you think are the most effective?

Grokarella is offline Member
    I think it depends on the person. Some people enjoy charting their progress in some way (by their weight, measurements, etc.), while others would be discouraged by what consider to be "slow" progress. Honestly, do what's right for you! I weigh myself once a week and have considered rewards at certain milestones (I'm not sold on the idea for myself yet).
    Jennifer, 28 years old
    Vegetarian for 13 years, primal since July 2011
    Weight lost on primal: 34.2 lbs

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    It depends on how badly you need the incentive. What happens when you reach your ideal weight/physique/health and there is nowhere to go but to maintain? Then what? Gimme something cuz I didn't get fat/unhealthy/bloaty for awhile. I think the results are enough incentive for most of us.
    Also, be careful of the "I have lost 10 lbs, so I can eat that ice cream I want" thing. Or anything similar. At least make the reward non-food related if you are going to do it.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    I think once you get going, for a lot of people, the reward is simply the results. Like losing a pants size, voila! The old pants fit better now. Or just knowing that you are on your way to health and your goals

I'm not doing any rewards because my goal is health, happiness, and strength. Those are things are their own rewards.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member
    i reward myself with things i can already have .. case in point, a half square of Godiva 85% cocao LOL ...

but seriously, ive lost 22 lbs or so in 3 weeks, im thinking of rewarding myself with a new pair of jeans siimply because these ones are far too big!!!

tsd
    tsd is offline Member
    Rewarding yourself can certainly be ok, though I've found to be careful if you "reward" yourself by indulging in old food favorites - I'll let myself have a slice of pizza, burger and fries, or some ice cream and its like my body rejects it. Sure it tastes good going down but it never sits well in my stomach and in the end I just feel like crap.

Now my rewards are either a few squares of dark chocolate, an extra glass of wine, or a really expensive steak. So much better in my mind (and my stomach).
    Last edited by tsd; 08-17-2011 at 10:22 AM.

Grokarella is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IcarianVX View Post
    Also, be careful of the "I have lost 10 lbs, so I can eat that ice cream I want" thing. Or anything similar. At least make the reward non-food related if you are going to do it.
    I agree. Food rewards are not a good idea!
    Jennifer, 28 years old
    Vegetarian for 13 years, primal since July 2011
    Weight lost on primal: 34.2 lbs

apelletr is offline Junior Member
    I've been contemplating splurging on a massage or facial, but honestly this is so much easier to stick to than anything else I've tried that I haven't bothered! For me, those things or new clothes probably make the best rewards, especially if the new clothes are SMALLER!

apelletr is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    22lbs in three weeks! wow, good for you. I'm about three weeks in and about 10 pounds down, and I thought that was exciting!