Thread: Daily Amount of Omega 6 page

digitalsignals is offline Junior Member

Daily Amount of Omega 6

Shop Now
    Hi Everyone,

I have been focused on achieving a 1:1 ratio for omega 3: omega 6 but I recently read that it is wise to try to limit both. I haven't been able to find any quantitate daily recommendation for omega 6. Has anyone read anything about this? Sorry if this has been covered but I couldn't find it on the blog or in the forums.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I think Kurt Harris has the best advice on this. He recommends no more than 4% of total calories to be from PUFA (all sources combined, n6+n3 and all others). On a 2000 calorie diet, this would be 80 calories; approximately 9 grams of fat. So if you're aiming for 1:1, you want 4.5 grams as MAXIMUM from omega 6. This means no poultry and no nuts in effect, unless they are in very small amounts. Of course I couldn't tell you in good conscience not to ever eat chicken skin again. Just make sure to up your omega-3 intake slightly and have some lower PUFA days afterward to compensate.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by befitby40 View Post
    wouldn't limiting omega 3 & 6 be CW low-fat dieting? aka Not primal
    No. You should be getting the vast majority of your fat intake from monounsaturated and saturated soruces, not polyunsaturated.

digitalsignals is offline Junior Member
    Thanks so much. That is exactly what I was looking for!

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    As yodiewan said - about 4% would be good. I can usually get there, but it requires no chicken (except maybe breast meat - which is close to vegetarian in my book) and very little pork. When I do go over, it's from cashews or almonds. I just supp with fish oil to help balance it out.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.