Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: increasing flexibility page

milkycereal is offline Senior Member

increasing flexibility

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I take bjj and realized i need to increase my flexibitly to make up for my shortness. should I just stretch in various ways non-stop throughout the day, or 3 times a day? or once a day? is there a right and wrong way to increase flexibitly?

Also does anyone have any basic full body stretch routines. I know a few stretches but idk if im covering everything properly...

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Sorry for the somewhat standard response, but looking into yoga would probably be a good bet to get good stretches and gain flexibility. As for how much/how often, primal is all about what feels right, isn't it?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    basically, you can look up any number of stretching routines, but i can also say that the yoga sun salutation is meant to basically stretch the whole body -- in the front and back -- and is really only lacking the inner thigh/groin area to be honest. so, sun salutations are pretty basic (you can find descriptions online) -- and then you might add a wide leg forward bend (seated or standing).

robwa1984 is offline Member
    I find the classes like yoga pull your ligaments and tendons and weaken them. As a result it enables joints to be put in weird position.Its not what id class as healthy flexibility .To get the results from these classes you have to over train. This can increase the chance of injury. I just lift weights carefully and through a full range of motion and im as flexible as ive ever been.. Since i stopped stretching i don't get niggles within the joints and generally feel a lot stronger.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    actually, yoga classes do not "like" to do that, though there is a style (yin yoga) that does, most other styles avoid pulling on ligaments and tendons, and instead, focus on muscle strength and stretching.

this is, of course, assuming that 1. the teacher is teaching properly and 2. the student is practicing properly based on instruction.

i agree with you that pulling on ligaments and tendons does not make for stable joints (or for good stretching), though sometimes -- with specific and careful application -- it can be appropriate. but that's rare, and like i said, specific.

tommyho1 is offline Member
    MobilityWOD

i have really bad flexibility and its only something i have been working on for a few weeks but this guy has really helped A LOT. highly recommended.

Monty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyho1 View Post
    +1
    My weak attempt at a journal:http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35809.html

M/30y/190#

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Yin Yoga versus Hatha Yoga
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    Mobility WOD -- I need it badly. I've bookmarked the site and I'll give it a try.

robwa1984 is offline Member
    Obviously the yoga you've experienced is a lot different to mine.But i do live in the uk. I know Doug mcguff wrote an article on stretching vs non stretching.He did an experiment of two groups of people of random people of all ages. Performing the exact same training protocol. One group performed stretches and the other group did not. Over a period of six weeks the group who stretched reported more injury's. and the group without stretching had made more progress when tested at the 6 weeks.. The amount of truth in this im not sure. But since i read this ive stopped stretching altogether and have had absolutely no niggles at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast