Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adrenal Stress/fatigue and recovering to get body back in line? page

todd03blown is offline Junior Member

Adrenal Stress/fatigue and recovering to get body back in line?

Shop Now
    Folks - I have been reading this site for a good bit of time and trying to educate myself etc which includes buying the book. I have read about 1/3 of it over the last few days.

About 3 weeks ago I took an adrenal salivary test and the results come back showing I am in stage 3 adrenal fatigue. I have low test levels, high estrogen levels and my melatonin levels are very very low (of course this means my sleep patters are horrible so I am taking melatonin nightly). I finally got an appointment with Dr. Scott Isaacs here in the Atlanta area on August 30 but that is still 2 weeks away so I am growing impatient of course since I had these results of the adrenal test. What prompted me to get this test was the fact I have been stuck around 240lbs for the last 30-45 days all while working out 3-5 days a week plus playing tennis a couple days a week. I was eating between 1800-2300 calories a day mostly primal (90-100%) of the time. I started out at 270lbs and lost the first 30 lbs over 3-3.5 months all while adding some muscle.

Right now as I said I am 240lbs @ 6' with 25-26% bodyfat at 41 yrs of age (I carry a decent amount of lean body mass which is close to 180lbs). The end goal is to be 8-9% BF and maintain that going forward as I was in my teens, 20's and early 30's.

The purpose of this post is to get feed back preferrably from men (women can certainly reply as well ) on how they have dealt with adrenal fatigue and having hormonal issues and what all did you do to get things back inline, how long did it take for you to start losing fat/restored energy, etc again and what was the end result? Do you feel back to being 100% with good energy levels, no mood swings, memory loss gone, etc etc.

Sorry for the long post but really curious on this since I just found out about my hormone issues. Glad that we have atleast found some issues that are going on so that is a start.

Thanks for any feedback that folks are willing to share.

Hopefully a few folks can provide some feedback; thanks!

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    Hi I saw this yesterday and don`t know if I am qualified to answer, I was never officially diagnosed, but I am sure I was in adrenal fatigue. I was crazy burnt out and had thyroid issues. Going primal was very important to help me, but also reducing my stress was huge, and that included stressful exercise. If I were you, I would give up anything that is at all taxing, exercise wise, I think it is likely making things worse. Walking, but not much more than that is what I think would be appropriate.

I made sure I destressed my life - I made some changes in jobs and things that were keeping me too busy, and I also worked on reframing my perspective on things.

I scheduled enough time for good quality sleep - 9-10 hours a day to begin with, 8-9 hours a day now.

I didn't stress about getting primal exactly right, but I listed to my body about what to eat. Fairly low carb is definitely a good place for me to stay. I made sure I had good supplements. I supplement with 4k vitamin d3 a day, and found that made a great deal of difference. I also tracked my nutrients on nutritiondata and made sure that anything that I didn't tend to eat enough of I would supplement on. I found the supplements list a the Perfect Health Diet site pretty useful.

I started feeling better within a few days, but it has been a slow and gradual improvement, for the most part, with a few tweaks and steps backward along the way. I have learned better how to listen to my body, which is something I didn't do well and it was a lot of what got me into burnout in the first place.

In March when I started this I considered myself a basically ill person with a few healthyish days thrown in there. Now I consider myself a basically healthy person with a few health issues I am still working on. It is a huge difference. Keep at it, I believe this way of life (all 10 laws, not just the eating plan) is very useful for those with adrenal fatigue.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Primal is the right choice for diet, but if you have confirmed adrenal issues, you may be waiting for years to get back on track unless you see a good hormone doc too.

I had adrenal fatigue, hypothyroid, and insulin resistance at the same time. I was well over 300#. it took about a year to get everything in line with he help of a good doc. I lost 120#. I still do I injectable test and take natural T3 thyroid, plus lots of supplements.

Thanks folks. I am very anxious to see my endocrinologist at the end of this month so I can get more tests run and start on my road to recovery.

Donnn is offline Senior Member
    He's probably going to put you on dhea in the morning, and melatonin at night (if hes an integrative medicine guy). I assume you're already taking Mg and Omega 3, and know your vit D level.
    Last edited by Donnn; 08-18-2011 at 11:32 AM.

My DHEA levels were 7.69ng/ml which I was told is in the normal/good range? Not sure if that is accurate or not. I am taking 3mg of meltonin nightly now to help me sleep. I am not taking any Mg at this time. I take (9) 1000mg fish oil pills daily which have 180mg EPA and 120mg DHA per pill. I have no idea what my vitamin D level is. Is that found out via a blood test?

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by todd03blown View Post
    My DHEA levels were 7.69ng/ml which I was told is in the normal/good range? Not sure if that is accurate or not. I am taking 3mg of meltonin nightly now to help me sleep. I am not taking any Mg at this time. I take (9) 1000mg fish oil pills daily which have 180mg EPA and 120mg DHA per pill. I have no idea what my vitamin D level is. Is that found out via a blood test?
    Yes. Vit D numbers come from a blood test.

My thyroid/hormone doc put me on DHEA and Vit D right away, plus some other stuff. See "my diet and plan" in my blog. I think your situation is pretty close to mine. Good call on the melatonin, I'm doing 6/12mg, depending on the brand. My doc never put me on Mg, but I just started it myself about a week ago. Cant tell much yet.

kbn1 is offline Senior Member
    I started out my weight loss at about 370. I was able to get down to about 310 and stalled out. My chiropractor did some tests and turned out that my adrenals were shot and I had a fungal infection in my thyroid. She put me on a supplement blend called Adreset from Metagenics for my adrenals, Candibactin BR for the fungus, 10k of vitamin D (to start with), fish oil, and IC3 to balance testosterone and estrogen. She also told me to ditch grains. It is at that point that I found MDA and the PB. I am now at 270 and have put on a considerable amount of muscle. I am still on a small dose of the Adreset and vitamin D and continue to take fish oil. I sleep much better, the weight continues to come off, and most importantly for me, I know longer feel like a crazy person.

Thanks DFH and kbn1, good information!

kbn1 - how soon could you tell a difference after being put on those items listed above? Within a month I assume?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast