Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Organic Valley is not a very Primal brand. page

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

So naturally whenever I reach out for dairy at the grocery store, I try to go for Organic. The other day I found some coupons for Organic Valley stuff that were about to expire next week so I decided to stock up. Hereís what I bought:

Organic Valley Heavy Whipping Cream

Organic Valley Mozzarella cheese

Organic Valley Cream Cheese

Organic Valley Sour Cream

Since I was kind of in a hurry, I just dumped everything into my cart. When I got home and started reading the back ingredient label, Iíve gotten very depressed. Heavy Whipping cream is ultra-pasteurized and has some soy lectins added to it. Mozarella cheese is made from skim milk and some soy proteins (even though it says full-fat). Cream cheese had some wheat, soy, skim milk, etc. Sour Cream had a load of bad stuff in it, even though it said full-fat on the package.

Now, I had some leftover regular cream cheese, regular sour cream, and regular whipped cream in the fridge (just some off-brands), and none of them had skim milk or soy lectins or wheat crap in it. Whatís going on? Why is the brand markets itself as health-forward but completely screws up their products by making it from organic by-products.

paleo_piper is offline Junior Member

That's weird. I have some organic valley sour cream, full-fat in my fridge right now. The only thing questionable is skim milk. What's really weird is why most dairy is skim milk with cream added to make it "full-fat". I too, am wondering why this is. Organic valley is the only "full-fat" (guess I better that in quotes now too) product I can find in the store. All the others are low-fat.

maba is offline Senior Member

And I bet the cream had carrageenan too. I've given up trying to find cream w/o caraggeenan. Hopefully, you haven't started using them. Can you go return them CC?

Well, I'm going to be cooking Christmas dinner this Saturday for some people, so I'll just use it in cooking I'm sure they don't care.

chima_p is offline Senior Member

It actually lists trans-fats on the label?

So then why in the world would I want to overpay for that stuff if I can get an off-brand for twice as cheap and have twice as few ingredients that are safer for me than "organic"?

hannahc is offline Senior Member

You know, I find that store brand organics quite often have simpler ingredients lists than "name brand" ones! At Kroger (Fry's, City Market, Smith's elsewhere) the "Private Selection Organics" brand is actually well priced and I'm usually happy with the ingredients lists. I've gotten Organic Valley stuff in a pinch to CC, and I'm not impressed with it for how much more expensive it is than the store brand.

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

DebFM is offline Senior Member

I often buy the off-brands, too. Friendship cottage cheese is the best in our area - no gross stuff in it. I can also get a local heavy cream - it's not organic but the only ingredient is cream. A lot of those organic products are shipped a long way and so have stabilizers, etc., in them. Yuck. They can be a real disappointment.

paleo_piper is offline Junior Member

The stabilisers are the biggest disappointment. I just came from the store where I wanted to get some ricotta, cream and local eggs. They were completely sold out of all of them. Checking the ingredient labels of non-local but organics I found loads of stabilisers and preservatives including one of the worst of all: corn starch. They were all ultra-pasteurised too. Isn't there a better way to do this?

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I'm a little pissed about this. I spent a butt load of money at whole foods the other day trying to do organic dairy and my grass fed meat. I just looked at my organic valley sour cream and it has corn starch in it. I can get a way cheaper brand without that crap. But then it's not organic. So which way to go? Defo not gonna buy organic valley again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast