Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deadlift question page

amazonmagic is offline Senior Member

Deadlift question

So on July 28 2011 I started a 5x5 power lifting routine.

Starting numbers
    Squat: 50lbs
    Overhead Press: 50lbs
    Dead Lifts: 95lbs
    Bench Press 95lbs

I do this twice a week Monday and Friday, if I am not too sore I try and squeeze in a few accesory exercises on Wednesday, but only if I'm not too sore.

August 15, 2011 numbers

Squat: 75lbs
    Bench Press: 110lbs
    Overhead Press: 60lbs
    Dead Lift: 95 llbs.

Here is the question, all my numbers have improved except for my dead lift. It is still a challenge. I assumed in the first week my numbers went up as my body became used to the form of the lift. I learned in my second week I was doing the Dead Lift wrong and adjusted accordingly, is it normal for you dead lift numbers to stand still while the others go up? I am going to continure lifting till I feel comfortable adding weight, but wondered if that was normal for newbies, haven't picked up weights in a long time, but am loving this stuff.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    generally the deadlift is the last or second to last of those lifts to stall. overhead press is where most people find slower progress.

there could be a few reasons why your deadlift isn't getting better, from your back strength, your form, your grip, etc. it might be helpful to get an experienced lifter to watch you while you deadlift, or try to get a video of yourself and post it here or a lifting site for some critique.

are you following a specific program? your numbers seem a little skewed...can you really bench press more than you can squat? that seems backwards.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Your deadlift is way too low (proportionally) compared to your other lifts and it should probably have improved the fastest rather than the slowest. Maybe take another look at your technique and see if you can get some coaching. Is it that you feel like you couldn't lift anymore?

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    Girl, how the hell are you benching 110 lbs?!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Generally, women breathe through the DL, and stall on the upper body lifts. So you are lucky! I have been lifting for a year, and I can't get OHP move past 65 lbs.

A few tips on the DL:

Do you lift with your legs (i.e from near squatting) or trying to pull stiff-legged?
    Do you chalk your hands (a HUGE improvement)?
    Do you use alternative grip?
    Did you try alternating the grip width?
    Did you try to 'jump' to the next plate (plate is wider, path is shortened, so it actually feels lighter on 35 lbs than on 25 lbs)?
    Where does the lift fail? You can't move it?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

CE402 is online now Senior Member
    1- you have to REALLY drive with your legs on the deadlift. It is the only lift that makes gets me dizzy and sweaty after 5 reps.

2- try supinating your strong hand. A mixed grip (one overhand, the other underhand) is stronger, and your back won't lift what your hands can't grip.

3- REST! Deadlifting 5x5 three times a week is way too much. Rippatoe's SS program calls for 5x3 on everything except deads, which is just one work set of five reps, and as you progress it's dialed back to every other workout, then further back to alternate weeks, switching with the power clean. The reason is, it is very taxing to every muscle in your body, and tough to recover from.

Get plenty of rest between exercises, too. 2-3 minutes before starting your workset, minimum. Also, when are you working out? I got stuck around 275, I was working out fasted in the morning. I started eating a banana pre workout with my BCAA's and found the extra energy I needed. You deplete glycogen quickly when lifting heavy, if you're deadlifting at the end of your workout, you may just be running out of gas.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Yakes, I didn't notice that 5x5 on the DL! That's the most likely reason! I bet the volume is what's killing it off! It should be 1x5!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

CE402 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    generally the deadlift is the last or second to last of those lifts to stall. overhead press is where most people find slower progress.

there could be a few reasons why your deadlift isn't getting better, from your back strength, your form, your grip, etc. it might be helpful to get an experienced lifter to watch you while you deadlift, or try to get a video of yourself and post it here or a lifting site for some critique.

are you following a specific program? your numbers seem a little skewed...can you really bench press more than you can squat? that seems backwards.
    It looks like she's doing an LP program, she's added 25# to the squat and 15 to the bench. Just starting out it looks like she started higher on the bench than the squat. My guess is she's going to stall on the bench long before the squat, and in a month the squat will have passed the bench. Especially if she's addeding 15#/wk to the squat...

amazonmagic is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Generally, women breathe through the DL, and stall on the upper body lifts. So you are lucky! I have been lifting for a year, and I can't get OHP move past 65 lbs.

A few tips on the DL:

Do you lift with your legs (i.e from near squatting) or trying to pull stiff-legged?
    Do you chalk your hands (a HUGE improvement)?
    Do you use alternative grip?
    Did you try alternating the grip width?
    Did you try to 'jump' to the next plate (plate is wider, path is shortened, so it actually feels lighter on 35 lbs than on 25 lbs)?
    Where does the lift fail? You can't move it?
    I lift with my legs
    Yep use chalk
    Use supinating grip
    And the lift fails just when the bar reaches my knee, my legs feel very weak

Quote Originally Posted by unchatenfrance View Post
    Girl, how the hell are you benching 110 lbs?!
    I was a shipfitter for six years before I took an office job a year ago, I swung 20lb sledge hammers for a living to bend metal to my will, my upper body strength as always been like a man, I am actually sad that my BP is so low right now

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    Your deadlift is way too low (proportionally) compared to your other lifts and it should probably have improved the fastest rather than the slowest. Maybe take another look at your technique and see if you can get some coaching. Is it that you feel like you couldn't lift anymore?
    No not really I do 5 sets of 5 reps, some I pop up no problem, others I am fighting to get it past my knees
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post

I wish I could do the video thing, no cameras at my gym, and yes I am i do those lifts Monday and Friday, accessories if I can on Wed for 8 weeks. And yes the Bench is my easiest lift, my squat is suffering due to an ACL tear 2 years ago, legs are weak, getting better.

Thanks for the advice guys, I contaced a coach, but he mainly works with men, and requests that I track my progress for eight weeks before coming to see him (he works 2 hours away, nearest coach to me)

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I did a deadlift tutorial on my blog a while back that you might find helpful (click the link!).
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast