Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Hi from a newbie. page

  1. #1
    blueballoon's Avatar
    blueballoon is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    DC metro
    Posts
    31

    Hi from a newbie.

    Primal Fuel
    I'm just poking my head in to say hello. I've been lurking for a couple of weeks, but am trying to get my head in the game a little more now. I went primal with my family last week. We've been gluten-free for a while, and have been trying to cut sugar as well. I finally picked up a copy of PB and read it in one night; everything just completely made sense.

    I'm trying to prevent the breast cancer genes from sneaking up on me, deal with fibromyalgia, and generally just get healthier. I am a former athlete (distance swimming/running), and have been back doing powerlifting for about 6 weeks now after a long hiatus from regular exercise other than chasing my kids around.

    Anyway, happy to be here! I'm so excited to feel better, especially once these cravings subside. Cheers.

  2. #2
    Grokarella's Avatar
    Grokarella is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    88
    Welcome, blueballoon! My cravings were pretty much gone within a week or so. Occasionally, I will see a food and really want it (my husband's toast, for example!), but most of the time it is pretty easy to resist.
    Jennifer, 28 years old
    Vegetarian for 13 years, primal since July 2011
    Weight lost on primal: 34.2 lbs

  3. #3
    belinda's Avatar
    belinda is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,507
    Hehe... the first week I was primal, DH made toast. OMG! It smelled so good I almost toast-jacked him. Now I don't even notice when he makes it.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

    F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

  4. #4
    Grokarella's Avatar
    Grokarella is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by belinda View Post
    Hehe... the first week I was primal, DH made toast. OMG! It smelled so good I almost toast-jacked him. Now I don't even notice when he makes it.
    It was so strange! I hadn't been craving anything (no crusty French bread, no baked goods at work, etc.). But, for some reason, that toast with butter and jam looked amazing! It doesn't bother me as much now, but I was amused that I was craving toast
    Jennifer, 28 years old
    Vegetarian for 13 years, primal since July 2011
    Weight lost on primal: 34.2 lbs

  5. #5
    blueballoon's Avatar
    blueballoon is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    DC metro
    Posts
    31
    Thanks for the welcome! I admit, it's a lot easier not having any cravings for toast. I've seen anything gluten-y as poison for months now, as I'm laid out for a week with the slightest consumption. My main problems is that I'm a baker at heart, and not having grains and moderate amounts of sugar--even the 'unrefined' stuff--around for making gluten-free bread is killing me. I do love coconut and almond flours, though, so at least I can do some baking!

  6. #6
    Grokarella's Avatar
    Grokarella is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by blueballoon View Post
    Thanks for the welcome! I admit, it's a lot easier not having any cravings for toast. I've seen anything gluten-y as poison for months now, as I'm laid out for a week with the slightest consumption. My main problems is that I'm a baker at heart, and not having grains and moderate amounts of sugar--even the 'unrefined' stuff--around for making gluten-free bread is killing me. I do love coconut and almond flours, though, so at least I can do some baking!
    I LOVE baking! I'm making a cake and cupcakes in a couple weeks for a baby shower at work. I'm not comfortable with gluten-free baking yet, so I'll be making the real deal. I don't know of any good fondant substitutes, either. Oh well - that's what willpower is for!
    Jennifer, 28 years old
    Vegetarian for 13 years, primal since July 2011
    Weight lost on primal: 34.2 lbs

  7. #7
    blueballoon's Avatar
    blueballoon is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    DC metro
    Posts
    31
    Gluten-free has become second nature to me, but grain-free baking is a little more work. Completely different techniques. I assume you've seen Elana's Pantry? Some good--GREAT--baking over there, and all with almond flour.

  8. #8
    Hedonist's Avatar
    Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sacramento, California
    Posts
    2,927
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by blueballoon View Post
    Gluten-free has become second nature to me, but grain-free baking is a little more work. Completely different techniques. I assume you've seen Elana's Pantry? Some good--GREAT--baking over there, and all with almond flour.
    A creative challenge! Yay!

    Welcome. Hope primal goes very well for you. I came to it after being mostly gluten-free for years, with some cheats, hehe, which I no longer do.
    Ancestral Health Info

    I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

    Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •