Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: better to eat grain-fed animal fat or no animal fat? page

tommyho1 is offline Member

better to eat grain-fed animal fat or no animal fat?

Shop Now
    I currently live in South Korea for the next year where it is impossible to get grass-fed products. I can buy lots of meat, but it is grain fed stuff. Obviously a big part of being primal is to get plenty of animal fat, but is it more damaging than it is worth if it comes from grain-fed sources.

so my simple question - should i eat grain fed fatty meats or stay clear altoghether and just eat lean chicken breasts all year?!

Joshy is offline Senior Member
    I'd just get regular cuts of meat. Maybe try for meat from animals that do better on grains or aren't normally fed as many, like poultry and lamb.

You could also try shifting your ratios around a bit. Personally I eat a ton of meat and a reasonable amount of fruits, vegetables, nuts, eggs, etc, but you might do better going with more eggs, healthy oils, fruits and vegetables.
    Webptrainer.com
    The Latest in Nutrition and Anatomy-Based Personal Training.

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    I've personally decided to eat fatty grainfed meats because they're cheaper and I need the calories from fat. The biggest "health concern" with regular meat (and eggs) is the inferior ratio of omega 3:6 fatty acids, but this is due to the produce containing less omega 3 rather than containing a whole lot more omega 6. So if you just supplement an appropriate amount of omega 3 from fish oil or regular consumption of fish then you should get a similar ratio and total polyunsatured intake.

Of the different produce beef has the lowest omega 6 intake, and a big marbled beef steak is probably going to contain less omega 6 than a skinless chicken breast.

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    I see no health risks in eating regular grain fed meats, other than omega 6:3 ratio (and total PUFA contention) (this is not a problem when it comes to beef, lamb, bison, and to some extent, Pork), animal and environment welfare. Grain fed Chicken and Poultry have too much PUFA and horrible ratio, so I would avoid them as much as possible. Stick to red meat, and supplement with fish oil or eat fatty fishes (salmon, sardines, mackerels...fresh or canned will do) regularly, and you should be fine.

Littlesigh is offline Senior Member
    Agree with Pandadude! I too cannot get grass fed anything here in Thule but I love meat! So I supplement and just move on with life....not sure there are studies indicating the years lost with primal eaters that eat grain fed vs grass fed. Not knocking grass fed, I would rather, but I face facts and move on.
    BTW...where in Korea? I lived in Seoul 78-79 82-85 and 87-90 things have really changed there...wish I could go back. I was last there for a visit in 2001 wow..what a change!
    Living the dream, inside a myth

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i pretty much only eat conventional, grain-fed meats. the omega ratio doesn't bother me because i supplement with fish and fish oil. i would recommend, however, trimming the fat wherever you can. a lot of the bad stuff the animals get from eating grain is going to be stored in the fat. that doesn't mean to avoid it or start eating only chicken breasts, it only means to cut off the extra stuff on the side of that steak before cooking it. if you want good fat, there are plenty of places to find it.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    IMO, the minor increases in omega 3 and CLA don't warrant a 200% increase in price. Grassfed meat is incredibly overrated IMO. Unless you have storage to buy your own cow - which is a fantastic idea IMO - I wouldn't buy it. Buying individual cuts of grassfed meat is a great way to go broke, and the online retailers are incredibly overpriced when you factor in shipping and packing costs. I'd rather have grain fed meat and eat a pound or two of salmon per week to balance it out. That way I get beef AND salmon for less money than just marginally better beef

If you can afford it, go for it. If you have storage space, go for it. IMO it's the least important Primal principle, and should be undertaken last. Remember, grain fed is a luxury item in many countries due to the improved texture.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

thanks very much everybody - it seems the main concern is the omega3:6 ratio, and i do supplement fish oil so it seems my concerns need not be happening. its good to know, as i love meat, regardless of where it comes from! happy eating!

Quote Originally Posted by Littlesigh View Post
    Agree with Pandadude! I too cannot get grass fed anything here in Thule but I love meat! So I supplement and just move on with life....not sure there are studies indicating the years lost with primal eaters that eat grain fed vs grass fed. Not knocking grass fed, I would rather, but I face facts and move on.
    BTW...where in Korea? I lived in Seoul 78-79 82-85 and 87-90 things have really changed there...wish I could go back. I was last there for a visit in 2001 wow..what a change!
    im in a small town about an hour from busan in the south. i love it here - nearly been here two years now but probably heading back to england in a few months - probably due to the changes that you mentioned in your post! its a great place but too many annoyances at the same time! a big annoyance is the quality of food produce as well. not a major concern, but a concern nonetheless

Nix
    Nix is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Hey I live in Ulsan. I eat the meat and supplement with fish oil. Your near Busan you have great fish markets and also Costco. *Jealous* You can find Australian grass fed beef in Busan, you just have to ask around. It is a bit more expensive. How long have you been in Korea?
    Height: 5'2"
    Starting weight: 180lbs
    Current weight 130lbs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast