Thread: Anything good as a bolus of glucose et al to raise insulin? page

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member

Anything good as a bolus of glucose et al to raise insulin?

Primal Fuel
    This is related to single amino acid intake as part of mood cures such as tryptophan, tyrosine, etc...

I have heard it recommended to eat something sugary with amino acids to raise insulin enough to better drive amino acids into the brain. This is supposed to be particularly effective with l-tryptophan because carbs also help increase serotonin levels. I read it in mood cure or the other book on aminos etc etc except I am not going to do fruit juices to accomplish this.

I have considered a bolus of honey or blackstrap molasses but I would prefer something with less fructose, but also equally conveniently handy (don't want to prepare rice or some other starch every time I take an amino).

What would work? I just now thought of Xylitol which is an artificial sweetener apparently with an insulingenic effect. But anyone have other ideas? Is there any source of glucose that is comparably convenient to something like honey, which alas, contains fructose?

(although I may stick with honey because it doesn't appear to be THAT bad...)

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wildwabbit View Post
    I have heard it recommended to eat something sugary with amino acids to raise insulin enough to better drive amino acids into the brain. This is supposed to be particularly effective with l-tryptophan because carbs also help increase serotonin levels. I read it in mood cure or the other book on aminos etc etc except I am not going to do fruit juices to accomplish this.
    Why are you trying to outsmart nature?

Orchid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by js290 View Post
    Why are you trying to outsmart nature?
    Because he wants to.

It now occurs to me why my bottle of l-tyrosine says to take it with juice. (I never have, just water.) Brown rice syrup is pure glucose.

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Orchid View Post
    Because he wants to. It now occurs to me why my bottle of l-tyrosine says to take it with juice. (I never have, just water.) Brown rice syrup is pure glucose.
    You scored a 3-in-1!!!! (Thanks for the brown rice syrup suggestion, sounds perfect!)