Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Semi Primal? page

JohnR is offline Junior Member

Semi Primal?

So my wife, who also works for uncle sam is just starting a new program can not afford to change over to a full on PB lifestyle. To much stress to little sleep, until it is over around Christmas. Is there a benefit to eating Primal on the weekends when she can come home if she is going back to SAD during the week?

JohnR

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    As we often say here, play the cards you are dealt. Every little bit helps. But primal need not be expensive. If you tell us more, we can offer suggestions.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

The issue is time mostly and availability. She goes with rice and chicken for most dinners, but had a great deal of light-headed bouts when starting PB and having almost no carbs. I figured the stress plus the new lifestyle/eating habits was not a good combo for her.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    The issue is time mostly and availability. She goes with rice and chicken for most dinners, but had a great deal of light-headed bouts when starting PB and having almost no carbs. I figured the stress plus the new lifestyle/eating habits was not a good combo for her.
    She could try easing into it. Maybe shoot for 2 nights per week where she eats a primal dinner instead of chicken and rice. Then the next week 3 nights, etc. She could also sub in sweet or white potato in place of the rice to help get away from the grains yet continue with the carbs.
    Primal isn't necessarily low-carb, though if you have a lot of fat to lose it works best to keep carbs relatively low. 100g of carbs is actually quite a bit of vegetables. The occasional piece of fruit could be half of that though, so watch for that.
    The stress will cause problems on it's own and if she can get the way of eating started sooner all the better.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

tarek is offline Senior Member
    If your wife is open to doing a higher-carb "paleo," I'd recommend that to her. Potatoes, sweet potatoes, yams, white rice or sprouted brown rice, fruits, etc. are all whole foods and are far better than other high-carb junk foods. This may or may not help her lose weight (if that's even her goal), but then again, neither will the SAD.

She could give this a try, and if it's still too much of a hassle, she can drop it until she finishes this program. Lifestyle stress is already enough; no need to further complicate it with diet stress.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    better than only eating primal on the weekends is cooking primal on the weekends. i do this. i have one or two days a week where i go nuts and just cook up a ton of primal foods so i won't have to spend time cooking during the week. i go as far as cutting up veggies for my salad, grilling all the meat i might want, making large batches of chili or stew. prepping a meal takes me about five minutes most days...ten if i feel like cooking up an omelet.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tarek View Post
    If your wife is open to doing a higher-carb "paleo," I'd recommend that to her. Potatoes, sweet potatoes, yams, white rice or sprouted brown rice, fruits, etc. are all whole foods and are far better than other high-carb junk foods. This may or may not help her lose weight (if that's even her goal), but then again, neither will the SAD.

She could give this a try, and if it's still too much of a hassle, she can drop it until she finishes this program. Lifestyle stress is already enough; no need to further complicate it with diet stress.
    +1
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Thanks for the tips guys. About a month from now we will live in the same state again and I plan to try pre cooking and cutting as primal for her as I can, but including things like more fruit and some sweet/white potato to help with the light headedness. Hopefully that will also decrease the lifestyle stress if I can take care of some things (like food prep) for her.

davem is offline Senior Member
    Just throwing this out there, but greens are cheaper than chips. Squash is cheaper than buns. Broccoli is cheaper than cookies.

Primal is accessible for just about ever budget. If you're on food stamps, I have no clue if it is feasible. However, barring that - if it's too expensive, you're doing it wrong.

I cut out about $30 a week on groceries by switching.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Lawbat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm all over the map about primal vs paleo vs slow carb, but there's more similarity then difference, I suppose.
    With that caveat, I've also got a gig where I mostly work as I eat and don't have a lot of prep time and have completely changed my body composition over the last few months.

If getting lunch out, there's salad and chicken pretty much everywhere. If bringing lunch, takes 10 minutes or less to cook a package of chicken/fish and throw it over some greens. Really doesn't take more time then making a sandwich, and not really harder to pack or eat.

Probably does take more time then grabbing a slice of pizza, but it's not too tough to extract those 4 minutes from somewhere else.

Dinner's not necessarily harder either. I'm a TERRIBLE cook, but think of it this way. Take whatever you'd normally eat, and instead of the grain thing, have a veggie thing. Pretty easy. Instead of heating up pasta or rice to go with whatever else I'd normally eat, nuke some frozen veggies.

Slice and wok zuccini? Faster then pasta. Cheaper then good pasta. Way healthier. Holds sauce.
    Nuke and chop cauliflower and wok? Works like rice. Probably faster then any of those 10 minute rices (always really takes 20 minutes, doesn't it?)

Restaurant? Tim Ferris has a magic line, that is absolutely magic, and responsible for a significant percentage of my weight loss in recent months
    "Instead of the potatoes/rice/fries/pasta, can I just get more of the veggies?"

I've been freaking out about macro-nutrient ratios and things like that. But the big steps have been pretty cheap and easy.

Bet a little bit of fruit, and a little bit of nuts, will go a long way to feeling ok physically about letting go the starchy part of the meal.
    The slow carb diet also ads a lot of beans. That was probably the crutch I used for a while to get me down to more paleo/primal.

Beans are cheap, filling, and at least better carbs then bread/rice. After a while, they were really easy for me to give up, too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast