Thread: Motivation page

srch1 is offline Member

Motivation

I'm so out of shape it's hard for me to even begin exercising. The sad thing is that 20 years ago I was a total gym rat and one of those kids who could bench press the rest of their class. Now I get winded taking my kids out of their car seats. My mental image of myself as a strong guy covered in a little mid-life pudge is rapidly disappearing into a realization that I am seriously out of shape. Did PB Fitness routine one night (minus pull-ups, no bar and no good door frames for bars - all double doors) and 3 sets of 10 push ups nearly had me throwing up. Feels like I've drifted too far from fit to ever get there. Sapping my psyche to get started and stick with it. Just feel defeated before I begin....Is there a motivation pill I can swallow?

Pensfan is offline Junior Member
    I am right there with you man... I was a former athlete as well and in prime condition in my 20s... you know, 20 years ago. haha

I found the motivation to make changes through support from friends, family, and my faith. It also helped going to my doctor and hearing that I had high blood pressure, was severely obese (like I didn't know that) and that if I didn't make any changes soon that my weight would catch up to me and likely kill me.

If you want to chat, want an accountability partner, anything I can do to help out, just let me know brother!
    For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    ~ Romans 8:38-39

It's Time to Get Primal - Pensfan's Primal Journal

astronmr20 is offline Senior Member
    Consider this--

You DON'T need to do an hour of mad exercise every day to get fit on PB. You will GET THERE doing what you just did just a couple of times a week. WOW! Just be abslutely sure to WALK every day. 5 miles a week, absolute minimum.

What got me stoked is-- I used to run track, and later in life picked up P90x. I was always a gym rat.. but still couldn't control the pudge. Suddenly I spend only minutes a week going "all-out," and I'm seeing the results.

I can already do more pull-ups than I ever was able to on several rounds of P90x... sweating and yelling each evening. These days I walk out into the sunlight, climb on a few things, pound the ground whit a sledge-hammer, sprint, and do some push-ups.. and my chest is more chisled and my arms more defined than ever.

Just think of the poor sods slogging at the gym hours a week.. with the same body year after year. You've suddenly been given the knowledge of how to HACK into your genes, and you don't even need to spend 1/10th of the time you used to in the gym.

srch1 is offline Member
    My thanks to both of you! Like the idea of accountability support, Pensfans. I think that's why I posted this. Maybe with the MDA world watching it'll keep wind in the sails.
    Astronmr20, why is the "Walk" so important. I'm out the door in the AM when it's dark and back when it's dark. Would a slow pedal on a spinner bike do anything? Curious to no more about the details of your workout schedule if you'd care to share.

astronmr20 is offline Senior Member
    Srch1,

Walking is really the foundation of the Primal fitness lifestyle.

My schedule is pretty much exactly as described here:

Primal Blueprint Fitness | Mark's Daily Apple

Sprint 2 days a week, do a Workout of the Week (the WOW), which is basically what you describe in your post, and walk every day.. particularly the days I'm not sprinting or WOW'ing.

I highly recommend the book, too- it's really what motivated me to get going 100%. And +1 for an accountability buddy. I'd take up Pensfan on his offer...

How is your eating?

Agreed on the walking! We walk at least 1.5 miles per day (to our local school and back) and starting tomorrow with the kids going back to school it is going to be walking the kids to school (1.5miles) and picking them up afterwards (another 1.5 miles) every day.

Walk walk walk!

For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

srch1 is offline Member
    I guess theoretically I could walk either a little bit am or pm. I get up at 5 am so I'm a little leery of getting up in the 4s. I have read the book but it's been a while. Okay, you guys got me intrigued; I'll start walking!
    Pensfan, let's connect!

Excellent brother! Glad to hear it!

We can definitely connect anytime man. PM me and we can chat there, emails, PMs, even phone if/when you ever want. Any support and motivation is always great to have in my book.

Have a great day man! Looking forward to chatting with you more.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    walk walk walk . . . or bike bike bike or swim swim swim or walk bike swim. I.e., stay active.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Dave RN is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Watching people do crossfit routines on You Tube motivates me.