Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Health, not weight

Hybrid View

Health, not weight

For those of you who are still afraid to ditch the scale, or who are measuring your success by the number on it, here's some more reasons to stop doing that.

Obesity police busted? Study says fat folks can be healthy - HealthPop - CBS News

It turns out that being fat, by itself, is NOT a health risk. When you control for diabetes, high blood pressure, and other problems, fat people live just as long as thin people, and in fact they live LONGER than thin people. It's about getting healthy, not getting skinny.

Which means the focus needs to be on disease prevention, not on weight control. And we know how to control the diseases of civilization - don't eat the things that cause them. Simple. Easy. Doable.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

What a bunch of bullshit to believe in.

There are countless reasons that being lean is far superior to obesity. Quality of life for one.

Live long. Drop dead.

There is a huge difference between talking about how to do something and getting it fucking done.

That's your choice. I choose not to stress myself out about being fat. I don't want to be a ripped meathead athlete who only thinks about his body fat percentage and how big his muscles are getting; I have more important things to do with my time.

And I'll live as long as you will. Dismiss the research if you want, but it doesn't make it any less valid just because you don't like its conclusions.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    I don't want to be a ripped meathead athlete who only thinks about his body fat percentage and how big his muscles are getting; I have more important things to do with my time.
    It seems to me that you assume that being "ripped" would require you to obsess about your body fat percentage and how big your muscles are. Also, you seem to imply that people with a lean body composition are somewhat less intelligent ("meathead" reference)? In sum, you seem somewhat narrow-minded when it comes to this particular topic.

What if you could be "ripped", keeping your current level of intelligence (assumed to be above "meathead" level) and not have to think or worry about your fat percentage or muscle size? Would you still prefer to be "fat"? Why do you assume that those who are lean are all obsessive (bordering to compulsive?) and only care about their looks?

For me, the main goal of shedding fat is not one of aesthetics, but rather of function. There are so many activities I would enjoy more with less fat on my body, so my target is to be able to do those activities without feeling that I am limited by my excess body fat.

Note: I do distinguish between being "ripped", as a bodybuilder, or "lean", as an athlete. The bodybuilder look I have no interest in, but the athletic body composition seems far superior to me when it comes to functionality, ability to move, etc.

Say, for example, that one enjoys to runing, trekking or rock climbing. Those things are simply easier, and thus more fun, to do when carrying less extra weight.

Can't we just agree that being fat/thin, healthy/unhealthy and heavy/light are completely different things, and they don't necessarily correlate with each other?
    Last edited by norak; 08-16-2011 at 06:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    That's your choice. I choose not to stress myself out about being fat. I don't want to be a ripped meathead athlete who only thinks about his body fat percentage and how big his muscles are getting; I have more important things to do with my time.

And I'll live as long as you will. Dismiss the research if you want, but it doesn't make it any less valid just because you don't like its conclusions.
    This is the type of thing fat people say to feel better about being fat.

Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    This is the type of thing fat people say to feel better about being fat.
    I cannot disagree with this. It's one thing to carry a few extra pounds or even 10 - 20 pounds, but to downplay being 100 pounds overweight doesn't make sense. However, Griff did have some good initial success. Somewhere along the line he stalled out.

Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    I cannot disagree with this. It's one thing to carry a few extra pounds or even 10 - 20 pounds, but to downplay being 100 pounds overweight doesn't make sense. However, Griff did have some good initial success. Somewhere along the line he stalled out.
    Yes, Griff certainly did stall out. I believe he got to around 300 pounds and just stopped losing weight, all while chastising people for occasionally eating small amounts of rice. He was a funny one.

I'm not going to stress about being fat because Im eating healthy and it's melting away. I will not be satisfied with being heavy, because it's bad for my joints and just makes life harder.

I don't walk(heavy people wear out their knees and such) but I am in a wheelchair - I have to do pressure relief lifts every 15 minutes. If I stay fat, I will just do that much more wear & tear damage to my shoulders.

The lighter the better( to a certian point )

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Marie View Post
    I'm not going to stress about being fat because Im eating healthy and it's melting away. I will not be satisfied with being heavy, because it's bad for my joints and just makes life harder.

I don't walk(heavy people wear out their knees and such) but I am in a wheelchair - I have to do pressure relief lifts every 15 minutes. If I stay fat, I will just do that much more wear & tear damage to my shoulders.

The lighter the better( to a certian point )
    I've been in a wheelchair for about a year and a half. Had problems with mending a broken thigh bone. The bone has healed but both my knees actually, according to the orthopedist, need to be replaced. In the meantime I've been trying to do all I can to get back on my feet. I was overweight so I tried Primal and lost 41 lbs. Pounds still coming off but I have quite a way to go. The only exercise I can do is in the pool. For about an hour I try to flex and move everything. What are pressure relief lifts? That might help too. Mostly my lower back is very weak from all the sitting. I am unable to stand up straight. Do you do any exercises to strengthen your back?

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    I've been in a wheelchair for about a year and a half. Had problems with mending a broken thigh bone. The bone has healed but both my knees actually, according to the orthopedist, need to be replaced. In the meantime I've been trying to do all I can to get back on my feet. I was overweight so I tried Primal and lost 41 lbs. Pounds still coming off but I have quite a way to go. The only exercise I can do is in the pool. For about an hour I try to flex and move everything. What are pressure relief lifts? That might help too. Mostly my lower back is very weak from all the sitting. I am unable to stand up straight. Do you do any exercises to strengthen your back?
    I'm not a big exerciser*oops*. I take it pretty easy.
    When my back is sore or feeling weak, it usually means that I need to stand up. I have a standing frame that I get into, but I don't think you can use that because of your knees.

Maybe try sitting up in bed with your legs out in front of you and lay forward. Then, try and sit up while flexing your core muscles. It will take a little while to be able to do, but it does exercise your stomach and lower back muscles.

I also do small dumbbell exercises for upper body strengthening. If you have some place where you can go for strolls, that's good for your arms. The only place I have to go is from the front porch to the back - so I have to do many laps, but it works.