Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Health, not weight page 3

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Bulging muscles are ugly, not attractive.
    I agree to a point. Although, I am one of those "athletes" that you are talking about (not the unhealthy kind either). At least I *think* I look like an athlete and I compete in athletics. I could be delusional however.

I think part of this boils down to where you are coming from too. Those that are (or have been) obese and have health problems want to "lose weight" to be healthy. Those that already deem themselves "healthy" (or at least not fat I guess) do this to remain a non-fat person and, as in my case, challenge themselves to see what they are capable of doing with what they have.

I agree wholeheartedly that the scale is nothing but a mind-fuck and should go the way of the Dodo. And being "thin" is no guarantee of health as is commonly believed.

Griff, you have done an amazing job and you have lost at least 100lbs. You had to know that you had to lose weight to get rid of your health problems. 400lbs of mostly fat or mostly muscle, doesn't matter, will certainly take a toll on a person's well-being.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I sort of understand what you are saying Griff, but isn't the reality that obesity frequently leads to diabetes, hypertension, and other serious health conditions? So losing weight just decreases the odds of developing an issue.

Don't get me wrong - the blinders that many MD's put on the second they see an overweight patient are shameful. And the amount of anti-obesity fervor that is flying around the US (and this forum) needs to be stopped. But I do think it is important to remain objective and understand the true causes and effects of obesity.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    but isn't the reality that obesity frequently leads to diabetes, hypertension, and other serious health conditions? So losing weight just decreases the odds of developing an issue.
    I used to believe that. I know a LOT of people that are "thin" that have hypertension and are on meds for it and I also know several people in the same "thin" category that have type 2 diabetes. One of 'em even has type 1 because they, essentially, killed their pituitary gland with all the crap they ate, even though their BMI was normal. So it's not obesity that leads to it, it's just being alive.
    It's either the fuel that we use that causes this or it's all a crap shoot.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Actually, the weight loss has always been a side effect of getting healthy. Right now, my body seems to be happy at 290. OK, I'm fine with that. If I lose more weight, fine. If I don't, fine.
    I have to say that I believe this to be true for you and also for other people.

It is entirely possible for 290 lbs to be healthy -- if the body type is the body type for it. There are, truly, some body types that just hold more fat. I think that it's to help support the overall function of the body -- because these body types are also large and dense boned and also have a LOT of muscle (and rapid muscle response to weight training).

I have a loose theory or idea or construct that this excess weight is actually helpful to this body type to carry the extra fat, and these are the *toughest* bodies on earth. They can withstand all kinds of insanity -- extreme conditions in weather, famine, feast, having to move mammoth's off of infants, stupidity of others.

anyway, the way i see it, griff is doing great, and has the right idea and attitude about it. it's about being healthy, not looking a specific way.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Griff, You may need to restrict calories to lose the rest of your weight NOT just low carb. Every time you give someone advice you tell them that low carbing is the only thing you need to be interested in.
    A bigger body may still be healthy but slimmer is just easier to live in.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    but, maybe it isn't.

healthy bodies are easier to live in, regardless of size.

threelions is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    I don't see any point in climbing trees. I have other things to do with my time, like studying and working. Those take precedence.

Frankly, I dislike the emphasis on "be an athlete" rather than "be healthy." Plenty of athletes are unhealthy, but because they can climb trees, we assume that they're stellar examples of health. Bulging muscles are ugly, not attractive.
    Seems you have issues if you need to describe anyone as ugly.

Sue
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    but, maybe it isn't.

healthy bodies are easier to live in, regardless of size.
    Not so. Its uncomfortable having a big belly, bending down to put your shoes and socks on, playing with the kids etc.

Sue
    Griff, those huge bulging muscles do nothing for me. I think they make the person just look fat in a pair of jeans or top. Can't wear slim-fit jeans.
    Some muscle tone and definition is definitely attractive in my opinion.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by threelions View Post
    Seems you have issues if you need to describe anyone as ugly.
    Just a thought...Maybe it would be best if super junior members refrain from judging other members who have been major contributors to the success of this site. Your first post...Really? We may not always agree with everything Griff or others say here, but knee jerk reactions don't help. Griff stated an opinion. You turned it into a personal attack.

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast