Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast

Thread: Health, not weight page 29

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Oh man, Griff, what about
    Look Good Naked?

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    I don't get what there is to discuss here. If health is your goal, a healthy weight is a natural consequence of aiming for health. A symptom of health is a healthy weight, being overweight is a symptom of poor health.

To me the choice is- health (and healthy weight as a part of that), or focus on appearance/ getting very lean. As long as those who make appearance/ leanness a high priority aren't choosing to overdo that at the expense of their health, I have no issue with it, although personally I prefer not to focus on appearance for philosophical reasons lol. Prioritising weightloss over long term health is not a great choice, but I haven't seen many people here doing that, except those with body image/ eating disorder issues.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

MaLink is offline Member
    For me, my health is a mystery. As in I haven't had any ailments or problems that I needed to see a doctor about in years, so I have no idea if anything is wrong for me. I can't afford to see a doctor now either so my goals for Primal are about weight loss because I don't think I have any health issues that need fixing.
    Doing the Primal 30 Day Challenge since August 8th, 2011!

JenCat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
    In regards to the original posting of this tread... regardless what all the 'research' says, I have never ever seen a fat centurion. When ever they report on the news that someone has reached 100... they are NEVER fat. Most restrict calories or only eat twice a day. Perhaps it depends on your version of 'long lived'.. but being fat does NOT help you live longer.
    I had two great aunts who lived to over 100. One lived to 103, the other to 104. They were not skinny. They were certainly not obese, but definitely a bit hefty. As they aged, they sort of shrank. They got noticeably shorter and smaller. I think that having a little extra weight protected them, I think. This may only be the case after one reaches a certain age, though. In case of injury or illness, there is a little fat to survive on.

Tre
    Tre is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    It is entirely possible for a man to be under 6'5" and weigh around 250 while still being lean. My partner is 6'3" and 245 pounds with 8-9% body fat. He has a furniture delivery business and thus lifts heavy things on a daily basis, so over the years he's build up a lot of very solid muscle. He shocks people when he tells them how much he weighs--according to BMI, he's obese, but he has a 32" waist.
    Yeah, maybe I shouldn't have said "no way;" strictly speaking, it is possible. I'm just not convinced that anyone who's 6'3 245 lbs hasn't done a prohormone cycle at the very least -- if he hasn't, then he sure as heck needs to get into competing.

I know this thread is long over, but I just thought I'd post my thoughts...not that there's any need to start arguing about semantics or whatnot...I'm out.

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tre View Post
    Yeah, maybe I shouldn't have said "no way;" strictly speaking, it is possible. I'm just not convinced that anyone who's 6'3 245 lbs hasn't done a prohormone cycle at the very least -- if he hasn't, then he sure as heck needs to get into competing.

I know this thread is long over, but I just thought I'd post my thoughts...not that there's any need to start arguing about semantics or whatnot...I'm out.
    I'm 5'-8" and very recently I was as much as 230 and I always got comments like "oh no way do you weigh that much". The funny thing is I weighed around 230 back in 1988 when I started training. I was fat and looked it!! I always caught flack about my beer gut etc. I was 23 and in the worst shape of my life. Fast forward to now with 24 years of weight training behind me and my body composition is completely different. About 5 years ago I reached 255 and while I knew I was out of balance and needed to get in the groove, it was shocking to see just how much I weighed.

For the record, I've never taken any kind of steroid drugs. Its all about fitness for me and more so now than ever.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by markmacwan View Post
    Losing weight does not necessarily beggarly that one should abjure in adjustment to accomplish the objective, a being can eat but he/she should ascendancy what they are eating. Moreover, boundless bistro would be adverse abnormally to anyone who is searching advanced to accident weight.
    Do you have any studies to support this?

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    Do you have any studies to support this?
    ^^ this LOL
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    When I picture "Groks" I see some skinny, some medium, and some a little chubby.

Griff, I'm with you on this one. But I'd like to specify, that it's only "healthy" if you're still getting exercise. If you're eating right, exercising, I see no problem with it. Grok on.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I didn't weigh myself for years, went with how my clothes fit instead.

Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast