Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast

Thread: Health, not weight page 28

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    It is entirely possible for a man to be under 6'5" and weigh around 250 while still being lean. My partner is 6'3" and 245 pounds with 8-9% body fat. He has a furniture delivery business and thus lifts heavy things on a daily basis, so over the years he's build up a lot of very solid muscle. He shocks people when he tells them how much he weighs--according to BMI, he's obese, but he has a 32" waist.
    Its definitely possible but not in Griff's case he is not a lot of muscle.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    Its definitely possible but not in Griff's case he is not a lot of muscle.
    Perhaps, but the poster I was responding to claimed it was impossible for any man under 6'5" to weigh 250 and be lean, which is false.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

davem is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Perhaps, but the poster I was responding to claimed it was impossible for any man under 6'5" to weigh 250 and be lean, which is false.
    What page would that be on? I'd like to read that.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Quote Originally Posted by davem View Post
    What page would that be on? I'd like to read that.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post543837
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

me thinks Tre never got in a fist fight with a samoan.

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    hee hee everytime i see that word "Samoan" i think simultaneously of Hunter S Thompson's att'y and Girl Scout Cookies.

btw, owly, wouldn't you say that your post only shows that it's RARE that such a big guy would be "lean", else why would there be such constant surprise at the low BF status of your SO?

Quote Originally Posted by Catherine View Post
    hee hee everytime i see that word "Samoan" i think simultaneously of Hunter S Thompson's att'y and Girl Scout Cookies.

btw, owly, wouldn't you say that your post only shows that it's RARE that such a big guy would be "lean", else why would there be such constant surprise at the low BF status of your SO?
    I think it actually shows how poorly people judge the body weight of muscular individuals. I recently had somebody guess my weight at 40 pounds less than I am, which was way off, but 20 pounds under is not uncommon. I'm just over the line into overweight but recently fit back into an adorable Betsy Johnson dress I haven't been able to wear for a while--it's a size 6, which is only a plus size in "The Devil Wears Prada". Many athletic people in my circle of acquaintance are overweight or obese in BMI terms, but you'd never think that by looking at them.

Owly's Journal

primalfamily is offline Member
    well, I was at 5'7" and 260 and obese. now at 47, I am 190lb and 13% BF and people are surprised at high heavy I am. they guess 170 or so. for many years, I never had big medical issue at 240, but as I got older/stressed, it finally got me and my weight climbed and my health started to get worse. finding primal nutrition and working out got me down in 6 month. I do feel great now. never want to go back to where i was.

you can have decent health at relatively high weight when you are young, but it will catch up with you. much better to get down to more reasonable BF % .

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DFH View Post
    Yep.

It cracks me up when I see so many guys posting shirtless pics to show off, as if their muscle shapes make them smart or worth believing. Just about every single bodybuilding site has them. "Look at me, believe me." No thanks. I would much rather believe someone that learned about how to overcome a problem and has some real experience than someone that never had to go through it and they think their fitness makes them smart.

A lot of the showoffs are doing supplements they can't admit, and some of them would be just as fit eating pizza to be honest.
    I'm not one of the shirtless posters like, say, Mark Sisson, and I even tend to think that the general ideal of the forum is on the skinny and weak side.

But to say that if anyone is lean, it must be because they are roiding is insane. Do you even know what you are talking about? There are tell-tale signs of steroid use that jump out to anyone who knows what they are looking for in a picture-disproportionate growth in muscle groups with higher concentrations of testosterone receptors, etc. I've yet to see anyone on here that has any of those signs. Plus, the idea that steroids mean you can eat whatever you want is absolutely false. Most people who use steroids for aesthetic purposes essentially have ortherexia- they eat only a few approved foods and weigh them. That's precisely because you can't just eat whatever you want and look like a bodybuilder(as lame as I think that look is). Steroids primarily allow you to recover faster and add more muscle mass. Some of the cutting steroids, like winstrol, are better suited for leaning out, but they are hardly a free pass to eat whatever you want-quite the opposite, it's pointless to take them without a corresponding diet. Unlimited-class powerlifters probably have more steroids in their systems than anyone, yet are sitting at 30+% bodyfat, because they eat what they want.

Do you mean genetics? Because there are genetics that allow people to look "great" with a crappy diet. But you can't blame people for their genes, which wouldn't allow you to insinuate that they are "cheating" in order to feel better about yourself, which is really the point of that comment, isn't it?

PrimalCon New York
    you just don't get it, flat earther.

Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast