Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with dinner plans for vegetarians page

Andtckrtoo is offline Senior Member

Need help with dinner plans for vegetarians

My husband's sister and brother-in-law are visiting from India and are strict vegetarians - have been all of their lives. It's a religious thing, so I'm not going to convert them and I won't try.

But I need good, primal vegetarian dishes - preferably from different nationalities but somewhat spicy. I have an eggplant parmesan recipe that is primal and I can add pasta for them. I'm also thinking that a stir-fry would be good. Any other ideas? I plan on eating my meat away from them so I don't offend them, especially any beef.

My sister-in-law will also be cooking, and I'm going to do what I can to stay primal, but I'm sure I'll have rice and potatoes. Oh, and she's making poori's which are pretty much to die for - so I'll break and have one (two?) of those. I would just like to share some other cuisines as they cannot get them in rural India.
    Christine
    Wag more, bark less

Athanasey is offline Senior Member
    Do they eat eggs? If they do a crustless quiche is always nice and you can add whatever you like to it to make it spicy. Also Moussaka with a vegetarian sauce instead of meat. Stuffed capsicums. That's about all I can think of off the top of my head.

I'm not sure about eggs. I don't think so, so I'm going to err on the side of caution that way. Oooh, Moussaka - that sounds really good. And it's something I can make ahead of time. Thank you!
    Christine
    Wag more, bark less

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Be aware that in India, eggs are generally considered meat. They will likely not eat them. Dairy products are all good, though, unless they are Jains. Also, you may want to make sure they eat certain foods such as onions, garlic, mushrooms, and some other foods that some Hindu groups restrict. Additionally, they may avoid alcohol.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

finngirl71 is offline Member
    Hi Christine, I always have good luck with foodgawker.com for finding new ideas. You can type vegetarian (or vegan) into the search and you will get hundreds of beautiful pictures, 99% of them have recipes attached. I just looked and there are a few just in the first couple of pages that could be made as a Primal side and a vegetarian entree.

Artemis-MA is offline Member
    From Hindu Indians I've talked with, they prefer to not eat eggs (but most will do dairy -- after all, ghee???)

Dishes with tomatoes, eggplant, mushrooms, and (okay, duck here) rice will do well. The moussaka selection above will be well-received, I suspect. One point in your favor is they will be happy with Real Food, instead of over-processed supermarket creations. Give me a day and I'll try to come up with, say, a Thai idea for you to serve them.

Whatever, don't just steam veggies and serve; that's American idea of health food -- they'll want flavors and seasonings. (Actually, so would I.)

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis-MA View Post
    From Hindu Indians I've talked with, they prefer to not eat eggs (but most will do dairy -- after all, ghee???)

Dishes with tomatoes, eggplant, mushrooms, and (okay, duck here) rice will do well. The moussaka selection above will be well-received, I suspect. One point in your favor is they will be happy with Real Food, instead of over-processed supermarket creations. Give me a day and I'll try to come up with, say, a Thai idea for you to serve them.

Whatever, don't just steam veggies and serve; that's American idea of health food -- they'll want flavors and seasonings. (Actually, so would I.)
    Thanks for the pointers, and Thai sounds heavenly! I am anxiously awaiting your recipe. I have until Saturday to come up with ideas. I don't mind rice. I'm pretty athletic and do more than standard primal exercise, so some carbs are not going to hurt me. I just would like to avoid wheat. I so which I could find a primal sub for phyllo... But wheat does send me into the downward spiral. Wheat and sugar seem to be my Waterloos.

I absolutely agree with you on flavors and seasonings. I'm really trying to come up with excellent recipes that suit everyone. I always cook with spice and flavor. I have a killer Greek Salad to go with the Moussaka.
    Last edited by Andtckrtoo; 08-15-2011 at 05:23 PM.
    Christine
    Wag more, bark less

Zophie is offline Senior Member
    Here are a few that I loved when I was vegan...

Ancient Embrace: Quinoa Tabbouleh

Ancient Embrace: Roasted roots

Ancient Embrace: Easy Asparagus

Ancient Embrace: Spicy Jicama Salad

You can't go wrong with a big green salad and fruit platter. Have fun with your guests!

rayout is offline Senior Member
    DIY Recipe: Homemade Paneer Cheese | Apartment Therapy The Kitchn
    Basic Indian Curry with Paneer Recipe - Allrecipes.com

DIY cheese and a curry to go with it

Use potatoes instead if you don't feel like making paneer.
    Last edited by rayout; 08-15-2011 at 09:19 PM.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I have a friend who makes this all the time and loves it. I think you could substitute the pork with sliced portobello mushrooms and it would still be good.

Paleo Butternut Squash Lasagna - Health-Bent | Health-Bent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast