Thread: Here Goes Everything- Audramar's Primal Journal page

Audramar is offline Junior Member

Here Goes Everything- Audramar's Primal Journal

Shop Now
    Now that I've started this journal, I feel all shy and exposed . I've been reading MDA for awhile and finally decided to go wholeheartedly into the lifestyle.

About me, where to begin....I posted a bit in the Meet and Greet awhile back, but now I have a chance to truly bore people with the wonderfulness that is me and my life.

I've been fat for most of my life, except for the first three years and for a few months after my first semester of college I've always been at least 20 pounds overweight and at most 190 pounds over. I've been a vegetarian twice, "done" low-carb twice and everything else more times to count. For years my weight was just vanity. I was the fat child of thin parents and in the '70s and '80s pretty much no one was overweight. So my self-esteem took a lot of hits. It wasn't until recently that my weight became an obvious health risk. More on that in a bit.

I'm the married mom of 3 children a 21 year old son that is following my footsteps. He played football in high school, but gave up on sports to concentrate on his education and has gained quite a bit of weight. I have a five year old son and a 4 year old daughter and so far they are both within the normal weight range, but I know they're no where near as healthy as they should be. My DH has gotten thicker since we've been together and right now he's heavier than he'd like to be. All in all, he and my oldest think this is just one of my things. I am determined to show them otherwise.

I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes with my 5 year old and then developed high blood pressure which necessitated an emergency c-section. I was placed on insulin with my daughter and was on blood pressure meds and bed rest to keep things in check. You'd think that would be enough to cause a radical shift in my path, but no. I lost 80 pounds after my daughter was born pretty effortlessly...I couldn't tell you what I did besides breastfeed. But, because I didn't really change anything it all came back plus a bit.

Fast forward to last September, I was diagnosed as a full fledged type two diabetic and by December I had trace amounts of protein in my urine. Needless to say I freaked out. However, instead of trying a reasonable approach to my health I opted for weight loss surgery. I won't say I completely regret my surgery, but I do wish I'd gotten on the primal bandwagon and stayed there before going under the knife.

On February 28th I had a procedure called the gastric sleeve that removed a good portion of my stomach. I weighed 295 going into the hospital and as of this morning I weighed 239. I'm no longer on diabetes meds and my kidneys are holding stable. I move more now and actually enjoy it, I really do feel better.

So, long story short (I know, too late!) I needed to find something that will get and keep me healthy and prevent the weight regain that so many weight loss surgery people succumb to. I've replaced my obsession with surgery and weight loss with learning about nutrition and health and this site, along with so many others in the same vein just make sense.

Hopefully my husband and oldest will follow me, the little ones have less of a choice . I'll post my measurements later along with what I've eaten today. If you made it all the way thru this post, my hat's off to you!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome. Don't worry about writing too much. We are interested and the more you tell us, the more ideas we can share with you.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Here's how my first day shaped up foodwise:

Breakfast
    1 extra large egg over easy
    1 sausage patty
    4 oz avocado

Lunch
    Shrimp w/ Thai red curry sauce over stir fried broccoli slaw
    1.5 ounces of mixed veg (asparagus, mushrooms and onions)

Snacks
    5 olives
    1 snack sized cheese
    an eighth cup dry roasted macadamia nuts

Dinner
    1 grilled chicken drumstick
    .5 cup roasted broccoli

A grand total of 956 cal
    27 g carb
    73 g fat
    50 g protein

For movement:
    half an hour on the elliptical (not my torture device of choice, I prefer walking but I was working out with a friend
    some light weight work, planks, sit-ups, squats...just a few of each 'cause I'm weak as a kitten.

I think the biggest problem I'm going to have is eating enough to get my nutrients in with my decreased stomach capacity. I think I'm going to have to add protein shakes. I also definitely need to get some other supplements, I've got some salmon oil from costco that I'll take this evening and some calcium w/ D3 so far.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! I am also a married Mom of three. I know what you mean about other people in the family thinking this is "just one of your things". By the time I was introduced to Primal, even I didn't trust myself to lose and keep off the weight. My husband is shocked at how long I have been faithful to Primal and my amazing results.

It looks as if you did well with the food. Try to supplement Magnesium Chelate in addition to D and Omega 3. There is a powdered Mag product called Natural Calm which may be easier for you to take than a pill.
    If you experience extreme tiredness. Drink a cup of full salt bouillon - your electrolytes may be unbalanced due to fluid loss.
    I'm not sure what your limitations are due to the surgery. Some of this advice may not work for you. Good Luck!

PS Don't worry about perfection, if you read my journal you will see that I have done well even though I am not always perfectly Primal.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

belinda is offline Senior Member
    You're off to a good start! Welcome
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Geez, these last few days flew by! Thank you for the encouraging words and the magnesium suggestions. I could really get into something called Natural Calm . Foodwise I've been doing ok, I found out (I should say, re-found out) that I cannot, absolutely cannot do white rice....it turns me into a carb fiending freak. Lesson relearned, for the last time.

Yesterday was a glorious carnivore day. A while back I'd stumbled onto some lamb riblets at the store and some beef shanks. Whipped up some cumin yogurt cheese and was loving it. That along with some barbacoa and some deviled eggs rounded out my day. Totally calories clocked in at 1008, with 11 grams of carbs, 93 grams of fat and 71 of protein. I need to work on more veg carbs, I think, maybe....

The other things I really need to work on are getting more movement, I'm far too lazy. School starts for me and the kidlets next week giving my days more order and that will help. In reality, I just to stop making excuses and get off my fluffy butt.

Sleep is another huge issue. I'm getting a sleep mask to help with the light. The kids and my DH are bit more problematic. My son is going through an afraid of the dark nightmare phase. He wakes up at least once every night.....My husband on the other hand has never been a sleeper and he feels that the only time we can spend together is late at night. Late for me that is.

So, that's where I stand today so far. I've got a lot of things to work on....

Primal Challenge Day 1

So, I slacked off on my journal almost immediately . Then I saw the post about the 2011 Challenge, so I jumped back on the wagon.

From a primal viewpoint today wasn't the best...I was too busy and stressed to eat a real meal, as close as I got was 2 oz of meat, a quarter cup of french cut green beans cooked in butter and 3 olives. I'm just home from school and need to go to bed, but I'm probably going to stay up another half hour to drink some water.

For the mini-contest, I pledged to be consistent with my eating. I don't plan meals really and consequently I end up with days like today where I just don't get to it. I don't mind the not eating...I do mind being hungry. It kinda sucks.

On a happy note, my oldest is sorta doing the challenge with me. He ate some rice with dinner and some bunless fast food burgers (in n out), not perfect but I thought he'd forget. I know that if he even halfway tries he'll see a huge improvement in so many ways.

Looking forward to what tomorrow will bring.
    Last edited by Audramar; 09-12-2011 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Edited for crappy spelling and shaky grammar.