Thread: Fat vs. Grass Fed Beef page

jenh is offline Senior Member
    Vernon Hills, IL (Northern Chicago suburbs)

Question Fat vs. Grass Fed Beef

Shop Now
    Okay, I am having a bit of a dilemma/question... While I understand why Grass Fed Beef is better (and I loooove beef - I grew up on lots of it), I cannot find it to have higher levels of fat like the 80/20 that is non-grass fed... And then I wonder to myself - what do others add when you want/need the fat for gravy-ish items or to have my beef/cabbage combo - I love the cabbage to soak up the fat as cooks/steams.... But I find that lower fat counts just don't cut it. Thoughts? Thanks!
    My goal pic...

Sugar is a damn drug. It's a sick and evil cycle that I must break permanently. GROKETTE ON!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/JLDesignStudio (My personal designs & creations of quality handcrafted jewelry. Items for grokettes AND groks of all ages.)

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    Buy yourself some rendered beef fat and add it in.
    I buy the tubs of it from US Wellness Meats. It's SO good(and grass fed). I never use butter or bacon grease anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Marie View Post
    Buy yourself some rendered beef fat and add it in.
    I buy the tubs of it from US Wellness Meats. It's SO good(and grass fed). I never use butter or bacon grease anymore.
    Well I should put a giant DUH on my forehead! I forget about options like them...I am still on some very bad CW thinking I have to rely on what the stores offer locally... shame on me. Thanks Lily!
    My goal pic...

Sugar is a damn drug. It's a sick and evil cycle that I must break permanently. GROKETTE ON!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/JLDesignStudio (My personal designs & creations of quality handcrafted jewelry. Items for grokettes AND groks of all ages.)

astronmr20 is offline Senior Member
    If I want to "grease up" my leaner food (sometimes that does include meat) with the right sort of fats, I use grass-fed butter, olive oil, or coconut oil. Just slather it on!

lizzychan5 is offline Senior Member
    DUUUDE!!!! I live in chicago, stop buying from the grocery stores and get stuff from local farms that deliver. I ordered myself 5 lbs of grass-fed beef suet and beef fat from honored prairie (just $2 a lbs!), they deliver to lots of suburbs around chicago.

Heres where I get my meats from (localy):
    Wallace Farms Wallace Farms - Grass-fed Beef
    They deliver to Naperville, chicago, and Wauconda.

Honored Prairie: Grass-fed Beef - Chicago Illinois - Indianaplis Indiana - Fort Wayne - Cincinnati Ohio - Columbus - Dayton
    They deliver to Libertyville, Addison, Naperville, Frankfort, and Munster.

I order my meats once a month. I got a quarter a cow from Honored Prairie, and Wallace Farms has the best pasture raised bacon, EVER! I can personally vouch for both farms, they are nice and sell excellent meats.
    Last edited by lizzychan5; 08-15-2011 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzychan5 View Post
    DUUUDE!!!! I live in chicago, stop buying from the grocery stores and get stuff from local farms that deliver. I ordered myself 5 lbs of grass-fed beef suet and beef fat from honored prairie (just $2 a lbs!), they deliver to lots of suburbs around chicago.

Heres where I get my meats from (localy):
    Wallace Farms Wallace Farms - Grass-fed Beef
    They deliver to Naperville, chicago, and Wauconda.

Honored Prairie: Grass-fed Beef - Chicago Illinois - Indianaplis Indiana - Fort Wayne - Cincinnati Ohio - Columbus - Dayton
    They deliver to Libertyville, Addison, Naperville, Frankfort, and Munster.

I order my meats once a month. I got a quarter a cow from Honored Prairie, and Wallace Farms has the best pasture raised bacon, EVER! I can personally vouch for both farms, they are nice and sell excellent meats.
    I've not had any luck yet with farmers markets in the areas that I can get to for produce and I just checked out Honored Prairie - oddly enough the pickup location is at my Primary Care doctor's office...they lead me here and I am surprised they didn't mention this as a source...
    My goal pic...

Chasintrail is offline Senior Member
    I'll 2nd Honored Prarie. I get beef, chicken, and pork fat from them. Glad it came up, I need to put together an order...

tim_1522 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasintrail View Post
    I'll 2nd Honored Prarie. I get beef, chicken, and pork fat from them. Glad it came up, I need to put together an order...
    I'd love it if they would work their way down I-55 or west on I-70