Thread: Anyone us date pits/seeds? page

Sohana is offline Junior Member

Anyone use date pits/seeds?

Shop Now
    We've got a bag of delicious medjool dates -- I noticed the pits look a lot like slender, miniature walnuts, which made me curious if they're edible. Supposedly one study shows they're thought to help with liver toxicity and Mediterranean folklore says they can be used as a natural aid to overcome colds. I don't want to toss them if they're potential food, but I couldn't find a lot of info and I haven't seen anything that says for sure that yes, date pits are edible and it's okay to eat them regularly. Thoughts?

Edited to add:
    Okay, I just found this, which gives a good breakdown of their uses and composition, but I don't know enough about sterols, esters, and fatty acids yet to make sense of what it means. Would love some help interpreting this!

Date seeds have been soaked in water until soft and then fed to horses, cattle, camels, sheep and goats. Dried and ground up, they are now included in chicken feed. They contain 7.17-9% moisture, 1.82-5.2% protein. 6.8-9.32% fat, 65.5% carbohydrates, 6.4-13 6% fiber, 0.89-1.57% ash, also sterols and estrone, and an alkali-soluble polysaccharide. The seeds contain 6 to 8% of a yellow-green, non-drying oil suitable for use in soap and cosmetic products. The fatty acids of the oil are: lauric, 8%; myristic, 4%; palmitic, 25%; stearic, 10%, oleic, 45%, linoleic, 10%; plus some caprylic and capric acid. Date seeds may also be processed chemically as a source of oxalic acid, the yield amounting to 65%. In addition, the seeds are burned to make charcoal for silversmiths, and they are often strung in necklaces.
    *My apologies for the typo in the title
    Last edited by Sohana; 08-15-2011 at 02:20 PM.