Thread: Help with weight loss / strength maintaining workout routine please! page

Pensfan is offline Junior Member

Help with weight loss / strength maintaining workout routine please!

Primal Fuel
    Thanks for looking everyone!

A little background first to see where I am coming from. I played hockey for 25 years, including two of that in the minors and pro inline. So I come from a traditional / conventional wisdom mindset about exercise and diet. I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the principles in the eFitness book and the PB book. I have read both now and I think I have a solid idea... but not 100%.

I have lost 57 lbs so far just on diet alone, most during an HCG phase that burned muscle as well as fat. Now I am looking to drop another 100+ pounds or so to get to my "target weight" of 225 while adding lean muscle mass and most importantly strength. I am not shooting for an exact weight, rather for a certain level of strength, fitness, body fat, etc. 225 was the last time I felt like I met all those goals so I am using that as an estimate for now.

Here is where I am now:

Height/Weight: 6'2" / 336
    Body Fat %: 42.3%, as of today at the gym... ouch. haha
    Lean Muscle Mass: 193

Activity Level: Moderate to active

Typical food macro breakdown for the past two weeks.
    - Cals; 1700, Fat 113gr; Prot 118gr; Carb 30gr
    - Fat 63%, Prot 30%, Carb 7%

Exercise Routine: Daily walking kids to school and picking them up (3.0 miles walking per day)
    • Mon: Weights: 30 minutes of chest/shoulders/back (2x10 reps of 6 exercises)
    • Tue: Intervals: 30 minutes Cardio; swimming, bike, or elliptical (including 51 minute hard intervals)
    • Wed: Weights/HIT: 15-20 minutes of the Big 5, 10 reps @ 10seconds per rep
    • Thu: Sprinting: Wind Sprints, Hill Sprints, etc
    • Fri: Weights: 30 minutes biceps/triceps/legs (2x10 reps of 6 exercises)
    • Sat: Long slow moving day; 3-4 mile Trail Hiking, Biking, etc
    • Sun: Outdoor play w/ family! Football, Lacrosse, Soccer, Frisbee, Tag, etc

---------------

Now for the help...

1) Since eating Primal for two weeks I haven't dropped any weight, I actually gained one pound in two weeks haha. I think I am not losing any weight due to eating too much fat? I have read so much info, it is all starting to blur. I THINK I need to get my fat down to around 55% and up my protein right? If using the "1gr of Protein per lb of lean muscle mass", for an active exercise routine, then I am looking at upping Protein A LOT... to 193gr per day. Is this right?

2) How should I be eating around my workouts? Protein shakes before? after? Meals before? after?

Thank you so much for the help! It is greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Pensfan; 08-15-2011 at 05:36 PM.
    For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    ~ Romans 8:38-39

It's Time to Get Primal - Pensfan's Primal Journal

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    I literally can't think of a suggestion of why 1700 cal and 30g carb wouldn't shed weight off a 330 pound man.
    I would also expect 30g carb to give you some trouble in keeping up your activity levels at least for a couple week adaptation period.
    Sorry but my main suggestion would be that you're miscounting somewhere.

Personally I think the whole eating around workouts thing is horribly overrated for most of us. Eat well, exercise well, If you bonk during exercise add some carbs before(don't overdo it)

oh, protein is probably a bit low but you don't need a gram per each of those 100+ pounds of fat either.
    Maybe a gram per pound of lean weight or target weight.
    Last edited by bcbcbc2; 08-16-2011 at 10:25 AM.

Pensfan is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the feedback bcbcbc2!

Just to clarify a little bit, this is the new routine that I started this past Friday! So the workout is new and I am expecting it to help tremendously haha. Prior to starting this routine I was only walking 1.5 miles a day and sprinting once a week and not losing weight in the two weeks that I was eating Primal/Paleo.

The 57 lbs I lost was while on HCG (low fat, 500 cals, no carbs, Rx Injections) for 42 days. I know that I lost muscle mass as well in that period as I can tell in the gym now and just looking in the mirror. So I am looking for feedback on how to move forward with the workouts and clean Primal/Paleo eating.

As for our eating, we haven't had any processed foods since 26 June, 2011. We have been nearly 100% compliant on the Primal Blueprint version of Primal/Paleo during the last two weeks; Meat, chicken, eggs, veggies, nuts, cheese, and berries and some heavy cream with coffee. We drink around 6-8 32oz bottles of water a day, plus 16oz coffee in the morning and green tea at night.

Today I am 3lbs lighter from Friday's scale! So I think the exercise routine and diet are now starting to pay off.

Ultimately I am wanting to chuck the scale, or at least move to weighing every couple weeks or once a month and just use my strength and mirror to gauge the results... again, the old "conventional wisdom" here is a stumbling block.

Thanks again for the feedback. I think I am moving in the right direction now and just wanted some confirmation of that!
    For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    ~ Romans 8:38-39

It's Time to Get Primal - Pensfan's Primal Journal

otzi Guest
    I'd change the Tuesday cardio to walking, and make sure you eat really healthy food. Don't sweat the protein/fat, it will work itself out if you eat plenty of veggies and meat. Use olive oil for salad dressing and cook w/coconut oil. Limit sweet fruit to one a day. Keep carbs low, but don't be afraid of an occasional potato or some white rice, esp after a good workout--just not ever day and not a heaping mound.

I have done really good by eliminating all the cardio I was doing and walking instead. I do bodyweight exercises M,W,F (chinups, pullups, dips, pushups). T,Th I walk about 60 minutes and throw in some 50yd sprints maybe once a week. I've been doing this about 4 mo and really like it. I've also been eating just twice a day--noon and 5pm, with no snacking outside those hours. Really helps keep the calories in check and the cravings down.