Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm starting - Fat guy going Primal page

Dualhammers is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

Accidentally posted this in another section of the forum, so here it is in the right place.

Hey everyone. I'm 23 and in terrible shape. 360 Lbs living on a diet of carbs. I was like this in High School but got done to 180 on a low fat diet and 3 hours at the gym 5 days a week. You wonder why I gained it all back? * laughs *

Well I haven't been to the doctor in years, but I am still young so I am sure if I get in shape now I can still survive into my 80s - no idea on my levels, but I've always had elevated cholesterol but never dangerous (good genes. That being said this is no way to live and I want to be done with it forever to enjoy life with my new wife.

I normally eat 5000 calories a day so I am starting off with pretty big meals to avoid feeling like crap

So off I go. I started today:

Breakfast of an omlette with veggies - light cheese - coffee with some cream

Lunch: salad with a big slice of chicken (lettuce, peppers, onions) and a nice dousing of olive oil

Dinner: a 12 oz steak with roasted onions and steamed califlower

Snacks of Jerky and Almonds instead of my normal potato chips or fries.

Its the first time I've ever been on a diet and felt good, full, and happy come the end of the day.

This may be the beginning of something major:

Here is me:

If there is anything I must know please tell me so I can do this right. I can use all the help I can get. I really hope I can reverse all the crap I've done to myself.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Awesome. Nice food choices for Day 1 -- and yes, this is the beginngin of something major. Welcome!

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Just keep it up Take it one day at a time, make good choices one at a time, and they'll all add up. If you make one bad choice, make the next one better! Looks like your first day went well, I hope your second does too!

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

worthc is offline Junior Member

Work on your mental game. 15/16ths of the battle is won in the head. When you falter don't dwell, just do better next time. Get excited about it. This is the best thing that will ever happened to you. Set good goals. Tell yourself that in six months....

Very important: make sure you lift weights to maintain muscle mass.

You da man!!

Kane Guest

Your off to a great start! Eat as much as you like, just make them primal foods. There is something satisfying about eating a ton of meat knowing that it is inherently good for you!

Keep your exercise to walking if you cant sprint yet, but just like worthc said above, make sure you are lifting weights, even if it just 1 - 2 days a week for half hour, it will go a long way!

If you have any questions everyone here is very helpful and we can try our best to guide you in your new life

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

Congratulations for choosing to go primal! Adding to what others have already said, it looks like you made some perfect food choices. This is a great group here, always willing to help, so you'll have all the support you need to be successful.

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

Congrats on your new journey! You made a great choice.

Couple of tips to help you make the best out of this experience:

- Ease yourself into a low-carb life style by slowly reducing the amount of carbs instead of cutting them out entirely. You're doing pretty good so far as you're eating plenty of vegetables that are carby. If you start feeling lightheaded or hungry for bread, grab some veggies or fruits instead of breaking down and having that small piece of a dinner roll or something like that.

- Be as close to all-natural ingredients as possible. You mentioned you had some light cheese for breakfast. Go for a full-fat, and if at all possible, raw-milk one.

- After you're been doing this for a few weeks and you start feeling great again, start cutting your carbs out little by little. See if you can get your daily intake to about 50 g total. That will dramatically speed up your weight-loss rate.

Good luck with everything!

Acmebike is offline Member

Dualhammers, go man go! I trust you have Mark's book? I've read a bunch of great books, and go back to re-read chapters, or the entire book from time to time. It seems that as your knowledge and its application grows, the info becomes more ingrained. You'll own this.

Keep checking in on MDA, and ask questions, there are a load of smart and supportive folks here. Welcome to the revolution!

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member

dualhammers - looks like you're off to a really great start. It's amazing how easy it is to eat real food once you begin.

All the best.

lars1000 is offline Member

Best of luck my man. Be glad you found the Primal way at such a young age.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast