Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm starting - Fat guy going Primal page 2

Dualhammers is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

Thank you for all the great encouragement! It has been good so far - just giving a lunch time update (I plan on starting a journal thread in a few days).

I've been going through the stressful process of getting an expedited passport since I lost mine recently, so I think that is making me more ansy. I am definitely feeling rough around the edges from the lack of carbs and the fact that I am quitting diet soda cold turkey. I drink about 300 oz of diet soda a day, and I am cutting that now. Naturally I am gonna feel nasty for several days, but I've done this part before with cutting out fats so I can handle the mental. Fortunately I have nothing to do for the next 2 weeks so I can just sleep it off if need be.

I won't be starting weight lifting until I am well onto the diet - maybe another 2-3 weeks. That is when I get back from my gym and have access to the gym agian. It is small, mostly a circuit course, but for me right now I think that will be enough if I add in push-ups, squats, etc.

Someone mentioned that I should go with full-fat cheese and not light cheese as I stated above. I actually meant to say light on the cheese; the cheese itself was full fat.

Food so far today - when looking at the portions keep in mind I eat about 5000~ cals a day to maintain my weight and I definitely don't want to drop that too fast.:

Breakfast of two cups of coffee with a couple tbs of heavy cream. 1 8oz Strip Steak. 2 Scrambled Eggs. 1/2 raw tomato sliced. a nice pile of sauted onions (it was breakfast out so I am sure the oil wasn't the best, but whatever.)

Lunch of a big ass salad with avocado, mixed greens, tomatoes, chopped chicken, mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, and a nice slathering of Italian dressing (unfortunately I didn't notice they had straight olive oil and vinegar until after she had applied the dressing).

A few handfuls of cashews in between, and so far about 120 oz of Water.

Two

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Did I mention that I'm totally impressed that you're starting NOW, rather than saying "I'll wait until after Christmas" or "It'll be my New Years Resolution." It's obvious that you're serious about making this happen.

I don't think your portions sound overlarge at all.

About dropping the diet soda (good choice, btw), a drink that I like to sip on during the day is spearmint tea (no caffiene) with coconut milk. It's kind of sweet, and hot drinks help keep me focused when I'm stuck at a desk.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

paleo_piper is offline Junior Member

I second worthc's advice. I went primal this year at 28 and I'm 200lbs +/- a few. The hardest part is mental and learning how to cook and prepare things that I'm not used to.

Best of luck to you!

Mr.M is offline Senior Member

Similar to paleopiper here - started moving to primal eating @ 27 and 225 lbs. Currently at 185 lbs.

First 20 lbs lost were a little tough, sort of. It was getting myself more active and on a schedule that was the harder part. Throw in a little bit of injuries here and there too (rest days are just as important as workout days - TRUST ME!!!).

The next 20 lbs came off MUCH more quickly, when I decided to ween off the carbs 100%. I actually took a rest week (sprained my big toe) this past week and still lost ~ 2lbs by just walking slowly everyday w/ my dog.

Read up on ketosis if you haven't - I find it is THE preferable state to be in if you want to lose weight. When I was allowing myself a fruit or 3 each day (at night...) I found myself cheating much more and eating more sugars, which drove me to eat more, etc. It is *easier* to eliminate most sugars and work from there.

Mr.M is offline Senior Member

Regarding exercise, start SLOW. Work up SLOWLY.

I cannot stress this enough. Injury prevention should be a high priority - especially since you mention you were working out so much previously.... I know how it feels; your mind KNOWS you did X, Y, and Z, before, so you can "push" yourself to reach that level.

I know I felt ashamed, going to the gym when I first got back, trying to do HIIT and sucking wind while "sprinting" (barely jogging?) on the treadmill @ 6.0mph. Doesn't matter though - work up slowly - avoiding an injury that will sideline you, mentally AND physically, is much more preferred.

It stands to be reiterated: rest days are CRUCIAL.

welcome aboard!!

After the salad today I went to the store and bought some egg protein powder and coconut milk. Since I am at work and my pantry is empty I just whipped up the protein shake with the coconut milk instead of water - very tasty. I also got a multi-vitamin that is loaded with anti-oxidants. "Life Force Multiples" by Source Naturals.

I also hear it is very good to get my Omega-3 and Omega-6 in balance. Because I am a poor college student who cannot spend more than $40 a week on food, how do you suggest I go about achieving this balance? Are Cod Liver supplements a good choice?

I'm feeling much less hungry now, although I found that with each of my meals I gagged a little as I ate - that might be possible food poisoning from a meal a few days ago, but I thought maybe it is my body's way of throwing a hissy fit for the lack of Carbs?

Katie Guest

Dualhammers- As far as your experience with gagging, I've had random problems with gagging, too. Has anyone else? I had been off of grains/sugars for at least a month when it would happen. Sometimes just the smell of vitamins make me gag.

Acmebike is offline Member

Dualhammers, I am literally choked up seeing what you are doing and your resolve. I got my shiz figured out (finally) when I found Sisson's info when I realized I was coming up on 40 faster than I realized.

I CAN'T EMPHASIZE ENOUGH HOW MUCH YOU ARE GOING TO BENEFIT IN ALL ASPECTS OF LIFE FROM THIS, sorry for yelling.

Chunster495 is offline Member

Good luck Dualhammers,... seems like you're on your way to a healthier you. I think you have the basics down... and anything else, you can pretty much get on this website... As for the omega3 balance,.. i'd recommend getting an omega 3 fish oil supplement as well, and popping like 2-3 capsules a day, and eating foods that have high omega3 content when available or feasible (salmon, mackerel..etc)... If you have a trader Joe's nearby, they have a decent option for Omega3s at a fraction of the cost than other stores... around 10 bux for like 90 capsules...

So I am working away fine and dandy and feeling pretty darn good, but I think conventional wisdom is making me paranoid. I am used to tracking everything religiously since I did Weight Watchers. I feel like if I am not eating barely any calories or fat I am not losing weight - I gotta kick that.

I have tracked what I've eaten so far in DailyBurn (something I want to do until I am really on the right path) and found that currently 70% of my calories are from fat, 13% from Carbs, and 16% Protein. Is this good? Bad? Should I do something differently? I've been snacking on nuts and taking a nip of coconut milk with some water every so often. Is this sensible? I am used to a lot of structure, so having this sort of free-spirited nature to all of this, esp with all the stigma of fats, is making me afraid I may drop dead any second.

Lemme know! Thanks again!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast