Thread: Saying Hello page

cranehigh is offline Senior Member

Saying Hello

Shop Now
    Hello!

Well I did that. I suppose there should be a bit more to this.

My name is Tracie. I've been reading and hearing about this site, and about the Primal Blueprint for quite a while now, but resisted making any change until this past Thursday.

Two years ago I weighed 280 pounds, at 5'3ish as a 30 year old woman. I have PCOS, and had been sick and depressed for a very long time. Oddly enough, despite the weight I loved to exercise. I would usually get on the elliptical or gym-bike after work and go as hard as I could for 45 to 90 minutes 5 days a week, but my food choices weren't good. I didn't trust my own instincts, and the weight didn't budge.

Two years ago (I keep saying that because this is actually the anniversary date for it) I went to my wonderful doctor at the time, and she said "You're not losing weight. I don't want to recommend surgery, but if you keep this up you're going to get sicker and sicker. Try this website, and see what happens in 6 months." That was my introduction to Sparkpeople. I fell in love with it almost immediately. Why? It didn't tell me what to do, much. There was a lot of information available, but there were no banned foods, no regimented exercises. It was just a numbers game... and it worked for me.

Last week, I weighed in at 197 pounds. That's 83 pounds gone in 2 years. More importantly, I was smaller than I'd ever been as an adult, and finding that my body was capable of amazing things. I could run 5 miles (though the last one or two were torture and I ran slow) I could lift more weight than most women I knew would ever try. I can bike for miles and miles on end (which is good because I can't drive, so biking is my go-to transportation.) But a couple of months ago something started to seem very Wrong.

I would get home at night ravenous, no matter what I ate during the day. I went on these crazy carb-binges, eating 4 bowls of cereal, or an entire bag of pretzels, every bit of bread in the house.... I felt full and bloated and completely unsatisfied, and tired all the time. I never had a major injury, but minor pain and fatigues kept settling in. A typical week for me involved about 15 miles of running, 50 of biking, 2 high energy hour long cardio classes, a few hours on the elliptical or stationary bike, two yoga classes, and 3 weight training sessions, and while I took some pride and pleasure out of knowing that my body could do all of this.... I didn't really enjoy much of it, and I felt tired all the time. Add to this that my weight loss had completely stalled, and the picture isn't pretty.

So... in my head was this constant "Something isn't working." I looked at several options, but all of them still involved this very intense level of cardio, and my body is just plain worn out. Finally, I took a good look at the information on this site, and had a good talk with the friend who's been talking about primal for what feels like forever, and decided to give it a try.

So here I am, on my 5th day. The scale budged, and I've been in a great mood since I started changing my food. I'm not sure how much of that is chemical from the food, and how much is just the natural high of starting something new, but I'm liking it either way. I've dialed back my exercise, and did my first PB Lift Heavy Things workout on Saturday. It was Hard, and Fun! So was the walk that evening. So was resting yesterday.

As much as I dislike diet-evangelism, the more I read from this site and around the web, the more I watch talks, and also the more I listen to the instincts I've been learning to trust over the last couple of years... the more sense this change seems to make. Here's hoping my instinct is right!

So there is my long-winded hello!

kiss is offline Senior Member
    Hello Cranehigh. Congratulations on your 83 pounds gone and continued success. There's lots of info here and plenty of helpful people if you have any questions.
    kiss = keep it simple, sister!

Grokarella is offline Member
    Welcome, cranehigh!
    Jennifer, 28 years old
    Vegetarian for 13 years, primal since July 2011
    Weight lost on primal: 34.2 lbs

Hello to you!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    As much as I dislike diet-evangelism, the more I read from this site and around the web, the more I watch talks, and also the more I listen to the instincts I've been learning to trust over the last couple of years... the more sense this change seems to make. Here's hoping my instinct is right!

So there is my long-winded hello!
    At 68, after working for ten years in the health food industry, I approached primal with lots of skepticism. But Mark has answered all my concerns brilliantly.

Don't worry about writing too much. We are interested. And the more you tell us, the more we might be able to make suggestions.

Welcome!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

cranehigh is offline Senior Member
    Thank you all for the welcomes. I'm still here, and still experimenting and exploring, reading, watching, eating and moving...

... and sleeping!

I think I hit what they call the "carb flu" yesterday, but I'm waiting it out.

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Welcome to your Primal Journey...It's Fantastic!