Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Protein? Who needs protein?? page

CaptSaltyJack is offline Senior Member

Protein? Who needs protein??

Shop Now
    Did you guys see this crazy article??

How much protein do you really need? on Shine

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Marion 'Nestle'? Maybe she's related to the food-conglomerate Nestles. They don't want people filling up on protein because then the populace wouldn't need to buy so much processed crap to fill the void from not eating enough protein!
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    Groan.

Something I read and trusted during my vegetarian days: the notion that it's impossible to be deficient in protein if you're eating sufficient calories in a 'balanced diet'. Since I started eating meat & fish again and found I had...

nails growing much faster
    much thicker hair - I mean, individual strands are thicker and shinier, and it turns out to be naturally wavy - who knew?
    no more split ends (from 'impossible to find a hair that isn't split' to 'almost impossible to find one that is')

... well, you know, I find myself taking the official line on protein with a grain or two of salt.

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    i wish i hadn't clicked on that. Now I'm annoyed! I clicked on it b/c i actually read Marion Nestle's book years ago & i didn't remember it to be a low-fat, low protein way of eating. I should take another look at it to make sure it sux before chucking it into the goodwill pile.

that seemed like a stupid article. Why wasn't it titled more honestly as "eat less meat"? I didn't see where it advised to eat less beans.

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    I read it and couldn't bring myself to even respond to it. It is extremely ridiculous in its context. Noone can arbitrarily say that men only require 65g of protein and women only require 55g of protein. Everything I have read points to a minimum fo 1g protein per lb lean body mass per day just to maintain muscle mass. I want to see the man or woman that can maintain any kind of muscle on that miniscule amount of protein much less protein that comes from plant matter and legumes alone. insanity.
    Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

davem is offline Senior Member
    I actually like their bullet points at the tail of the article with some changes:

(Changes in bold)
    - Reduce portion sizes by eating one less burger or steak each week. (I think people already eat too much.)
    - Choose the healthiest protein sources when you can. Wild seafood, and game meats when available are nutrient dense, and tasty.
    - When you do eat meat and cheese, eat the highest quality that you can afford. (One way to save money is to eat less, but better quality meat and dairy products.) Here’s a guide decoding the labels, from cage-free to grass-fed.
    - Don’t waste meat. Uneaten meat accounts for about 20 percent of meat’s greenhouse gas emissions.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

davem is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyAl View Post
    Everything I have read points to a minimum fo 1g protein per lb lean body mass per day just to maintain muscle mass.
    Most Tier 1 research (meaning highest level, most capable, whitest ivory building their tower) I've read talks about .5g to 1g, with .7g being the sweet spot for active people to maintain muscle mass, less active people would naturally need less.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptSaltyJack View Post
    Did you guys see this crazy article??

How much protein do you really need? on Shine
    Well, according to Julia Ross—the author of the Mood Cure—a lot of people in the U.S. aren't eating enough. This is people with mood/psychological/addiction problems—many of them simply aren't eating enough protein to make the neurotransmitters they need. You've got vegetarians and vegans and people with just plain bad diets who're not getting enough and paying the penalty in brain disfunction.

That said, some people eat far more than they need, and some low-carb diets are pretty bad inasmuch as they're low-fat, too, and really people on them are getting far too much protein and not enough fat.

The upper figures given in the article are actually probably fine. The lower end of those estimates is probably not enough. So when it says two to three times per day eat 2 to 3 ounces of meat, poultry or fish, if you ate 3 ounces three times a day—which is nine ounces—that's probably fine ... at least for an average-sized woman. If you ate 2 ounces twice—which is four ounces–it really isn't enough.

But when they start saying things like "Choose the healthiest protein sources when you can. Beans, low-fat yogurt, and nuts are all high in protein and low-impact" we're in Cloud Cuckoo Land. That's just plain false information. Beans are not "high in protein"—in fact, they don't even have complete protein.

The stuff about meat causing "greenhouse gases" and needing "tremendous amounts of fuel, pesticides, and chemical fertilizers" is just garbage. This is straight out of the agribusiness (or vegan) Great Book of Lies.

There were herds of bison in almost uncountable numbers in the Old West. One Army colonel reported a herd 25 miles across and 50 miles long. That took no fuel, pesticides, and chemical fertilizers.

Sudenveri is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by belinda View Post
    Marion 'Nestle'? Maybe she's related to the food-conglomerate Nestles. They don't want people filling up on protein because then the populace wouldn't need to buy so much processed crap to fill the void from not eating enough protein!
    She is not. She's actually a very vocal advocate of whole, unprocessed foods and frequently critiques the CAFO/monoculture farming industry and lousy state of government-sponsored institutional food (read: school lunches and breakfasts). That article also takes her protein recommendation out of context - here she states that it's half a gram per pound of body weight; the 65/55 number comes from her example of a 180 lb man/120 lb woman (which still might be a lowball estimate, but not nearly as bad as that article made it seem). She's certainly not a shill for the Nestle corporation. All of this information could be had in about thirty seconds' worth of Googling, but jumping to completely baseless conclusions is even faster, I suppose.

livinlite is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudenveri View Post
    She is not. She's actually a very vocal advocate of whole, unprocessed foods and frequently critiques the CAFO/monoculture farming industry and lousy state of government-sponsored institutional food (read: school lunches and breakfasts). That article also takes her protein recommendation out of context - here she states that it's half a gram per pound of body weight; the 65/55 number comes from her example of a 180 lb man/120 lb woman (which still might be a lowball estimate, but not nearly as bad as that article made it seem). She's certainly not a shill for the Nestle corporation. All of this information could be had in about thirty seconds' worth of Googling, but jumping to completely baseless conclusions is even faster, I suppose.
    + 1

She's not all bad, she just needs to update some of her standard thinking to the newer/older science (omit the last 40 years). Some people are soft on grains because they aren't sure how to come to terms with the fact that grains keep people alive in this world (as eff-ed up as it is, I guess being sick and alive beats the alternative). It's going to take a revolution and probably a massive reduction in the global population to get away from industrial agriculture...from a standpoint of what is realistic, not what's scientifically possible... I think Nestle is somewhat just trying to make the best of a bad situation in the way she sees fit. Her books are pretty well worth reading if you're interested in fighting BigAg. But she does line up more with Weston Price than Primal Blueprint, IMHO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast