Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mexican Primal? page

MaLink is offline Member

Mexican Primal?

Shop Now
    This morning I thought to myself that I'd pull out the green chile enchilada sauce and make some primal, non-tortilla chicken enchiladas. Then I looked at the ingredients on the can: Corn syrup solids, soybean oil, modified food starch, hydrolyzed corn protein, etc... I don't even full understand what being primal means since I'm only a week into the 30 day challenge but holy crap, none of that sounded primal at all.

I'm saddened because that was my favorite enchilada sauce. Now I'm worried there aren't any mexican-esque recipes that are primal because masa is such a big part of the culture. Prove me wrong? ;_;
    Doing the Primal 30 Day Challenge since August 8th, 2011!

jomama is offline Junior Member
    i am new to eating primal too... although i did atkiins back in the day... i would think carne asada would be a good primal mexican dish... fish tacos... without the taco shell... put it on romaine lettuce... mexican shrimp cocktail... or fajitas would be good too.. i am a novice so these may be way off base...

liminal_luke is offline Member

Mexican can be primal too!

Primal Mexican foods...

Salsas you make yourself the easiest being perhaps pico de gallo: just cut up tomato, onion, serrano chile, and cilantro. Douse with lime and season with salt. I like to add cucumber to mine.

Guacamole...mash avocado with whatever: cilantro, tomato, chile, onion

Mexican style eggs dishes--huevos con jamon (ham), huevos con tocino (bacon), con chorizo, a la mexicana (with cooked serrano chile, tomato, and onion)

Mexican seafood...shrimp, fillet of fish, or octopus cooked in any of the standard styles--a la mantaquila (in butter), al mojo de ajo (garlicy), a la diabla (with hot chile)

And it goes on and on...chicken or pork tinga, carne asada, chicarron (pork rinds!), cactus salad. The cookbooks of Diane Kennedy might give you some authentic inspiration.

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    Carnitas!! Fajitas!! and the already mentioned yumminess!!
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

davem is offline Senior Member
    Prove me wrong?
    NO! However, I can help you explore and learn.

Masa is crazy important, if it weren't for corn, you probably wouldn't have many mestizos, let alone mexicans. So, since it is food I grew up with, it's hard to go to a taqueria and not get a good mess of tacos, and such.

First, look at replacements. We're not in a feast or famine world. When eating a taco, we can replace the tortilla with some butter lettuce and not worry about dying of starvation.

Now, look at real mexican food, not the fresh mex crap you get. Burritos are not mexican. Tacos with 4" corn tortillas are.

Puerco pibil, pork mixed with a marinade, braised in banana leaves, served with onions, tomatos, lettuce, rice, beans. replace the rice and beans, and totally primal. Mole poblano! Replace the peanut butter with another nut butter, and primal enough, especially if you use a 90%+ chocolate. (Spaniards added sugar to chocolate, not mexicans.)

Some primal stuff -
    caldo de gallina
    Caldo de res
    most rellenos
    pico de gallo
    most "enchilada" style sauces, such as the tomatillo and pepper sauce for chili verde.

anticuchos such as cumin dusted and roasted beef heart, or even some plantains.

One question I do have though - just how "primal" is yucca?
    Last edited by davem; 08-15-2011 at 10:27 AM.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

croll is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davem View Post
    N

Now, look at real mexican food, not the fresh mex crap you get. Burritos are not mexican. Tacos with 4" corn tortillas are.
    And that's just what I do! Sat nite I had shredded beef tacos with small corn tortillas.. loaded those babies up with pico, shredded lettuce and bit of cheese.. YUM! I ate the first one and the ate half the second one and then ate the inside with a fork.. so really, I only had 1.5 corn tortillas.. not bad! That was my only non primal thing of the day and I'd only had and egg and veggie scramble.. Not going to sweat it

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    i luv corn tortillas. it was pretty much the hardest thing for me to part with & i can't keep them in the house b/c i would snack on them too much. But occasionally like maybe quarterly, i'll make chicken enchiladas with them & oooh it's so good.

davem is offline Senior Member
    I've found personally, even though I'm not very grain friendly, I get crazy arthritis problems, a little bit of fresh corn seems fine, and a couple handmade tortillas with a cauldron of soup is tolerated just fine.

I think it will be my go to for endurance activities.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes I make dishes that aren't necessarily from a certain cuisine, but use those flavors. For instance, I rubbed some chicken breast in chipotle powder, salt, cumin, and paprika then cooked it on the stove in lard. Topped it with cheddar cheese, homemade guac, and homemade habanero salsa.

I also make an "enchilada" casserole with a cheese "crust" and layers of meet and cheese and veggies (tomato, onion, garlic, green peppers) and smothered in primal approved red enchilada sauce. Maybe you'll get more ideas by thinking this way too.

canio6 Guest
    Recipe burgled from Simple Recipes

Ingredients
    2 Tbsp vegetable oil (skip that crap and use coconut oil instead)
    1 medium onion, chopped, about 1 cup
    1-2 jalapeno chiles, seeded, minced
    3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
    1 lb tomatillos, chopped
    Salt
    1/2 cup clam juice OR 1/4 cup water*
    1 lb shrimp, cleaned, deveined
    1 cup Cotija queso seco cheese (can substitute feta)
    1/4 cup chopped cilantro
    Lime juice
    Black pepper
    An oven-proof sauté pan or cast iron pan
    *One time we made this we used tequila instead of clam juice, it was good too!

Method
    1 Heat oil in the pan you will use for baking. Add the onions and jalapeños, cook for 5 minutes on medium high until the onions begin to brown. Add the garlic and cook a minute more. Add the tomatillos, reduce heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes, until the tomatillos are cooked through, but still hold their shape. Sprinkle salt over the tomatillos as they are cooking.

2 If using clam juice, add to pan, turn up the heat and reduce by half. If using water, just add the 1/4 cup of water without reducing.

3 Add the cheese and shrimp. Cook in a preheated 425°F oven for 10 minutes.

4 Remove pan from the oven. If using a pan with a handle, such as a cast iron frying pan, I recommend cooling the handle with ice for safety; it's so easy to forget that pan has just come out of the oven, and you grab the hot handle by mistake. Right before serving, mix in the cilantro and sprinkle with lime juice and freshly ground black pepper.

If you are not eating dairy leave out the cheese (though the cheese is awesome), if you do not eat nightshades...well, I guess a tomatillo is a nightshade and you are just sh*t out of luck

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast