Thread: Does this look about right? page

berg is offline Junior Member

Does this look about right?

Primal Fuel
    Hello, all. I should maybe be putting this in the "Meet and Greet" forum since I am brand new here, but it is ultimately nutrition related.

I've been lurking all over the site here recently. I have requested the free intro to the Primal Blueprint book but the confirmation e-mail isn't showing up in my e-mail? I suppose I should try again, then I'll plan to order the book after knocking out the intro. But in the meantime, It's time for me to find a nutrition/activity plan that I can sustain, and although this stuff is contrary to what I've always thought to be true regarding fats and carbs, it's making sense from the reading I've done on MDA, and I am ready to try it. I have dabbled with it in the last week.

Body for Life is what I've done in the past, and it has worked, but like what seems to be the issue for others who've "gone Primal," is that I simply cannot sustain the six meals a day and six days a week at the gym and only one tablespoon of unsaturated fat daily. Yeah, it'll work to help you drop weight, but I found myself hungry often, and bound to fall off the wagon and then gain all the weight back. It's happened every time I've tried it in the last eight years.

I am 29, male, about 223 pounds, down from 229 where I was about a week. In the last two weeks I've pretty much dropped pop (my biggest indulgence), junk food, etc. and have really eaten mostly good, whole foods. In early college I was closer to about 175 and was active and actually still not super lean--just an active college student, but started gaining in the last year or so there. I'd love to get to 185 now and hold that (or drop more if I get there and realize I could be healthier still).

Here is what I understand to be a good day of Primal eating, and while I await the intro to the Primal Blueprint book in my e-mail, I need to know if its about right. It's basically what I've started doing.

Breakfast: 1/2 cup cottage cheese; banana; handful of almonds; black coffee

Lunch: Huge salad with veggies and salmon or chicken with oil-based dressing and half an avocado

Dinner: Salmon, grilled carrots, mushrooms and onions; water (or it might be chicken or whatever else, but I've only done it a few times now)

Snacks throughout the day: Handful or two almonds; approx 1 cup of fruit; a carrot or two or handful of cherry tomatoes; lots and lots of water.

Does this sound about right? I am shooting for the 50-100 grams of carbs a day based on the info on the site, and since I don't know my body fat percentage, I am guessing and aiming for 140-150 grams of protein a day. I did this by adding .8 x my goal weight of 180. I may be way off here, but I know I could stand to lose about 40-50 lbs. at least.

Now what I don't understand is how to get that much protein and all the extra fat and be overeating? I guess that's why I need to get the book issue figured out.

In the meantime, I'd appreciate any thoughts on my understanding of this thus far.
    Last edited by berg; 08-15-2011 at 09:43 AM.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Save yourself some trouble and stop counting, for now -- carbs, protein, calories, all of it. Concentrate on eating primal foods, enough so that you aren't hungry all the time. The goal is to switch your eating habits and get your body used to the new environment. After a few weeks (not less than a month), if body composition isn't changing in the direction you want you can start playing with numbers.

davem is offline Senior Member
    Stop counting unless you want to lose weight, then choose a couple achievable goals, and head towards them immediately. For me, my goals were generally to intake fewer calories, and a more directed, keeping of my carbs around 75g.

It's a good idea to use a food log to allow for monitoring goals better, and to get a good grasp on what it is that you are eating.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berg View Post
    Hello, all. I should maybe be putting this in the "Meet and Greet" forum since I am brand new here, but it is ultimately nutrition related.

I've been lurking all over the site here recently. I have requested the free intro to the Primal Blueprint book but the confirmation e-mail isn't showing up in my e-mail? I suppose I should try again, then I'll plan to order the book after knocking out the intro.
    In the meantime, check the 101:

Primal Blueprint 101 | Mark's Daily Apple

Here is what I understand to be a good day of Primal eating, and while I await the intro to the Primal Blueprint book in my e-mail, I need to know if its about right. It's basically what I've started doing.

Breakfast: 1/2 cup cottage cheese; banana; handful of almonds; black coffee

Lunch: Huge salad with veggies and salmon or chicken with oil-based dressing and half an avocado

Dinner: Salmon, grilled carrots, mushrooms and onions; water (or it might be chicken or whatever else, but I've only done it a few times now)

Snacks throughout the day: Handful or two almonds; approx 1 cup of fruit; a carrot or two or handful of cherry tomatoes; lots and lots of water.
    Some good stuff there. Cottage cheese is a low-fat product. Hence there's more sugar—milk-sugar (lactose)—in it. Full-fat cheese would be better—or have eggs or meat or fish. Bananas are rather sugary fruit. A serving of vegetables or a small salad would be better. Or perhaps some berries of some sort.

What's the oil-based dressing? If this is a bought dressing, you'd be better off ditching it and making your own with olive oil, lemon juice (or wine or cider vinegar), etc. The cheap industrial seed oils they put in bought dressings are pretty toxic. You don't want to know how they make them.

You're eating rather a lot of nuts. You've got a handful of almonds for breakfast and then you say also two handfuls as snacks. Three handfuls (unless your hands are very small) is going to be quite a lot—probably 3 or 4 ounces. An ounce or so a day is fine, but nuts are high in omega-6 oils and you don't want to put your omega-3/omega-6 balance out of whack. A quarter of a pound of nuts—which is what you seem to be doing—is going some.

In general your food looks low in fat. You probably want to be eating about 3 tablespoons of fat a day in addition to the fat in and on your meat, avocados, nuts, etc. That helps kill the hunger and switches you over to a better type of metabolism—fat-burning as opposed to sugar-burning. So for breakfast you could scramble 2 or 3 eggs with a tablespoon of butter, ghee, or coconut oil. For lunch the equivalent of a tbs of olive oil in the form of dressing. For dinner, cook in a good fat (butter, coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, etc.) or melt some on your cooked veggies.

Does this sound about right? I am shooting for the 50-100 grams of carbs a day based on the info on the site, and since I don't know my body fat percentage, I am guessing and aiming for 140-150 grams of protein a day. I did this by adding .8 x my goal weight of 180. I may be way off here, but I know I could stand to lose about 40-50 lbs. at least.
    I shouldn't worry about the numbers too much. If you stick to non-starchy vegetables (as many as you like really) and don't go wild on the fruit you should be good to go. Have some first-class protein for each meal, but it does't have to be (and actually shouldn't be) masses. Eat enough not to be hungry and stop when you feel you've had enough.
    Last edited by Lewis; 08-15-2011 at 10:28 AM.

berg is offline Junior Member
    Thank you all. These are some really good tips.

On the almonds, I probably shouldn't say a "handful." I may grab five or six almonds each time I dip into the bucket. So maybe the equivalent of one or two handfuls after I do that two or three times a day???

Either way, these responses really help. Thanks.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You might find it beneficial to up the protein in your breakfast and reduce the carbs (banana) or save it until later in the day.

If you can't stomach bacon & eggs, or dinner leftovers, for breakfast, consider a protein shake with an egg or two whipped into it and maybe even a handful of spinach.

Half a cup of cottage cheese, a banana, and 5 or 6 almonds doesn't sound like enough to get me off the couch in the morning let alone a 200+ lb guy
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals