Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: True Hunger vs Toxic Hunger page

Heidi is offline Senior Member

True Hunger vs Toxic Hunger

Shop Now
    I was watching health show featuring Dr. Joel Fuhlman the other night. He talked about something called 'toxic hunger'. I went to find out more about this and found a blog he posted on. In the post he mentions that toxic hunger is felt in the stomach and isn't really hunger at all, but is actually our bodies detoxing. Real hunger is felt in the back of the throat.

Is this doctor full of shit or have I not been experiencing true hunger all these years? Since my teenage years (as far back as I can remember for experiencing hunger pains), I thought that my stomach cramping and growling, light-headedness, and weakness was because I was hungry. Was I wrong? And if hunger is felt in the back of the throat, what exactly does that feel like?
    I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

kungfumike is offline Senior Member
    That's very interesting. I have no idea. Keep us posted please.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure if this is the same person (not sure of spelling of his last name), but there's a doctor with a similar name who is a shill for PETA and constantly criticizes all low-carb eating plans. If this is the same guy, then he really is a jerk, and I would pay no attention to anything he says. He always has an agenda of some kind.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    What an absolute load of crap! "detoxing" is a largely imaginary process. What is important to distinguish in "hunger feelings" is hypoglycemic "hunger" - panicky, shaky-hands, irritable hunger, with "hey dude I'm gonna need some food eventually to keep this whole 'living' thing going" stomach-message. The latter is a clear but calm and consistent message that is easy to ignore for hours if you choose to.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Did some more searching, and hunger in the back of the throat supposedly feels like thirst and it makes your mouth water. Now I feel even more confused. If this is true, then wouldn't all that "if you're feeling hungry, it could be thirst" stuff I read about be false?

On a side note, this thread already shows up 5th in the Google results for "how is hunger in the back of the throat felt." Amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    I'm not sure if this is the same person (not sure of spelling of his last name), but there's a doctor with a similar name who is a shill for PETA and constantly criticizes all low-carb eating plans. If this is the same guy, then he really is a jerk, and I would pay no attention to anything he says. He always has an agenda of some kind.
    Oh, I think it is the same person. I misspelled his last name. It should be Fuhrman, not Fuhlman. Thanks for the warning about him.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    What an absolute load of crap! "detoxing" is a largely imaginary process. What is important to distinguish in "hunger feelings" is hypoglycemic "hunger" - panicky, shaky-hands, irritable hunger, with "hey dude I'm gonna need some food eventually to keep this whole 'living' thing going" stomach-message. The latter is a clear but calm and consistent message that is easy to ignore for hours if you choose to.
    I never heard specifically of hypoglycemic hunger, just hypoglycemia and I thought that was just for diabetics. After looking it up, however, it appears that this is something non-diabetic people can experience, too. Interesting stuff.

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    i still believe what a lot of people feel as hunger in their belly is actually thirst

most people associate thirst with a dry mouth but thats not the only sign
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post
    i still believe what a lot of people feel as hunger in their belly is actually thirst

most people associate thirst with a dry mouth but thats not the only sign
    Now I'm wondering. I found Dr. Fuhrman's blog and a post about stress hunger. Someone in the comments section mentioned how her stomach rumblings would disappear after a few hours if she waited it out. Thinking about it, I've had similar experiences where I couldn't get to food right away when I was hungry (or thought I was?) and the hunger pains and lightheaded went away.

Just when I thought I was getting in tune with my hunger, now I'm back to wondering what is hunger. The past 5 weeks I've been eating whenever hunger pains were felt in my stomach, but maybe that's not enough for weight loss since I haven't lost any lbs.

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    What an absolute load of crap! "detoxing" is a largely imaginary process.
    So, the body doesn't store and release things that have been put in it? The body doesn't clean and repair itself while you sleep? Interesting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast