Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paleo Challenges with a Hubby and a Kiddo page

Leida is offline Senior Member

Paleo Challenges with a Hubby and a Kiddo

Primal Fuel
    I am mid-thirties going onto late thirties gal, and an owner of a husband of 12 years and a daughter of 5 years.

I work full-time, commute 40 min each way, work 30 min longer daily and break-up my vacations so I can work 4 days week almost weekly. I power lift 3x a week, do HIIT ~ 3 times a week and walk at least 1 hour cummulatively each day. I eat paleo style (lean meat, veggies and fruit with some nuts & cocnut/olive oils & coconut milk, avocado for fats. A bit of honey for happiness). My problems with weight started after pregnancy, when I never lost 30 lbs I gained. After 2 years of rolling with the punches, saw my photo in a swimming suit, got grossed out & lost 'em conventional way, turning into an overtrained, staved, feeble shadow of former self. It took 1+ year to recover from that state. Pretty happy with where I am now, but need more muscule on the UB to balance out the resistant thunder thighs (not gonna turn to anorexia to lose that fat).

Challenges:

Me: getting enough sleep; cutting down on nuts; eating just right amount of food to grow muscule; growing muscule on UB;

Husband: after an arrythmia episode, my husband is finally serious about losing weight. He is Paleo, Level 3 (3 meals with grain or other infractions a week). The biggest challenge: portion control & excersise

Daughter: My goal is for her to eat at home to compensate for all the processed foods and grains that the daycare feeds her in their attempt at 'balanced' meals as per Canadian Nutritional Guidelines. The biggest challenge: proteins.

I need this Journal to document on a dialy basis how things go, and what works and what doesn't.

Last edited by Leida; 08-15-2011 at 06:11 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Today's Goal:

Myself: Put in a light KB workout & steam room after work
    Hubby: Make him to go for a walk
    Daughter: Cut down the carb snacking after dinner. Yesterday cutting out shapes from cheese with cookie cutter worked, but still wanted a sprout-grain bread with PB. Must buy more yogurt to have that & berries as replacement for the nightly request for a tortilla 'pizza'. Continue to reconsile to the fact that there is no tortillas any more.

Food plan: Tonight is the 'easy split' night when I can get my liver fix, and the hubby& duaghter can have their natural hot-dogs.

Myself: broth, egg-whites, sardines with 1/2 y.b. pepper & cucumber & liver& onions with mushed cauliflower for dinner; steamed asparagus, blueberries & 1/2 grapefruit
    Hubby's breakfast: cooked scrambled eggs with ham, g.b.pepper & musrooms; lunch: leftover stuffed zuccinis; dinner: All natural hot dogs with steamed asparagus, chopped veggies, leftover beans and rice (C#1), blueberries & peach
    Daugher: dinner: All natural hot dogs with steamed asparagus, chopped veggies, blueberries & peach; cheese & boiled egg as snacks
    Last edited by Leida; 08-15-2011 at 06:12 AM.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Is there a reason you don't eat your egg yolks? Lots of yummy goodness in the yellow bit
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Purely taste preference. I love how egg whites turn out in microwave, like a souffle & easy to transport (a handy container). I omit yolks when I cook in the microwave, and eat yolks when I boil eggs, and use both whole eggs & egg whites when scramble my eggs (the egg whites make the omlette fluffy instead of milk). I do Paleo rather than Primal, so my fat is not as high as on the Primal & Paleo authors want you to skip yolks once in a while too. So, many complex reasons.

Another challenge for tonight: Daughter/Myself. Continue to teach DD how to use the clock and read out 8:00 PM when alarm goes off & put mommy to bed & spend some time with mommy then, not run into the bedroom at 9 pm for some quality time when mommy is asleep, destroying mommy's 7 hour sleep allocation.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I am mid-thirties going onto late thirties gal, and an owner of a husband of 12 years and a daughter of 5 years.

I work full-time, commute 40 min each way, work 30 min longer daily and break-up my vacations so I can work 4 days week almost weekly. I power lift 3x a week, do HIIT ~ 3 times a week and walk at least 1 hour cummulatively each day. I eat paleo style (lean meat, veggies and fruit with some nuts & cocnut/olive oils & coconut milk, avocado for fats. A bit of honey for happiness). My problems with weight started after pregnancy, when I never lost 30 lbs I gained. After 2 years of rolling with the punches, saw my photo in a swimming suit, got grossed out & lost 'em conventional way, turning into an overtrained, staved, feeble shadow of former self. It took 1+ year to recover from that state. Pretty happy with where I am now, but need more muscule on the UB to balance out the resistant thunder thighs (not gonna turn to anorexia to lose that fat).

Challenges:

Me: getting enough sleep; cutting down on nuts; eating just right amount of food to grow muscule; growing muscule on UB;

Husband: after an arrythmia episode, my husband is finally serious about losing weight. He is Paleo, Level 3 (3 meals with grain or other infractions a week). The biggest challenge: portion control & excersise

Daughter: My goal is for her to eat at home to compensate for all the processed foods and grains that the daycare feeds her in their attempt at 'balanced' meals as per Canadian Nutritional Guidelines. The biggest challenge: proteins.

I need this Journal to document on a dialy basis how things go, and what works and what doesn't.

Welcome Leida. Here's wishing you success with your challenges.

My thoughts (take them or leave them): Rest is as important as exercise in primal. Both are essential. Watch Mark's presentation at the Ancestral Health Symposium. Exercise is to add what you don't get from other activities. Grok and Grokina didn't "exercise." They worked and played. With a 5 year old, you have an exercise program called parenting. What you need to do is tweak that as needed. See my post.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

My rule of thumb in fitness: I don't do what I do not enjoy, so all my stuff is all play, the true, the only, the unabashed "me" time! As for the rest/recovery, that's where mommy's sleep challenge comes in I play a lot with my child, a lot of that walking and stuff comes from being at the Zoo, amusement park, going for a bike ride or to the pool together or walking back from the daycare in the evening as a family... But I definetly need and want more than what a 5 yo can handle (or the weight she adds).

And: Hurray, registered DD for her swimming and skating classes for the early fall, and skating and multi-spart ball games class for late fall. With the dance class, her schedule is pretty cool. And, we of course will do pool and climb and what not in conjunction with her classes in the rec centre. I left one of the weekend days open for Zoo/Amusement park/hiking.
    Last edited by Leida; 08-15-2011 at 09:53 AM.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like I was preaching to the choir. :-)
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

This conviction was hard worn, trust me. I was a chronically overtrained whreck for long enough to know what's good for me

I forgot to mention that I have one more challenge: salt. I am trying to reduce it as much as I can. Rinsed my tuna this morning.

Wow, this cutting cheese with cookie-cutters works so well to prevent whining about no tortillas form DD. Gotta buy a bit of yogurt too on Thu.

Food today: everyone gets pork-chops with rhubarb sauce for the adults, steamed asparagus, chopped veggies.

Myself: broth, 1/2 sweet potato with tuna and horseradish (post-workout carbs), cucumber & egg whites with ham; Shared Dinner, blueberries & 1/2 grapefruit
    Hubby's breakfast: cooked scrambled eggs with ham, musrooms & mozza; lunch: leftover hot dogs & rice&beans (C#2); dinner: Shared Dinner, blueberries & peach & plum
    Daugher: Shared Dinner, blueberries & peach & plum; cheese & boiled egg as snacks

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Just curious as to why you're trying to reduce salt intake so much? Thanks in advance!

Paleo authors I've read (L. Cordain and Arthur Forgot his last name!) recommend reducing salt, as well as every other book I have read on whole foods eating. With it being prevalent in pretty much every food that went through human hands, it is really easy to overload on it. And, since I want to keep ready-to-eat broth (when I don't have my own), canned fish and all-natural ham for convenience & want to soak my nuts, I want to cut it everywhere else I can. Plus, hubby always bugs me about salt!!!
    Last edited by Leida; 08-16-2011 at 07:57 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast