Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Paleo Challenges with a Hubby and a Kiddo page 2

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Feel like a horrible mom. Daugher was crying yesterday for tortilla 'pizza' (tortilla with shredded cheese and tomato broiled in the oven). I told her, if she doesn't eat bread, pasta and cereal for the rest of the week, I will buy tortillas and make a pizza on the weekend. More tears. But cleaned the pork-chop off the plate with her favorite asparagus like a champ.

Also, took one look at a new chapter written by a co-worker on the endless project report, and went to get a diet Dr. Pepper before the afternoon meeting about the said report. Felt bad abaout it, but just couldn't imagine surviving without. Everyone but the said co-worker came to the meeting clutching cokes or hot chocolate, so I guess they might have shared my apprehension.

Hubby is going to eat lunch with his friends in a spaghetti place so he did not have rice/beans with his chop. I need to get him to obtain chicken or turkey breast for dinner tomorrow, or we'll be doing smoothies.

Food today: shared dinner portion: cantloupe, plum and blueberries for dessert.

Myself: broth, eating lunch out: rasberry shrimp salad (ask for no rasp. vinagrette); dinner: hopefully sesame stir-fried chicken with mushrooms and sweet peppers, shiritake noodles and steamed broccoli
    Hubby's breakfast: cooked scrambled eggs with ham, musrooms & mozza; lunch: ??? eating out; dinner: hopefully sesame stir-fried chicken with mushrooms and sweet peppers, shiritake noodles and steamed broccoli; if not hungry - smoothie with copious egg white!
    Daugher: left-over chop with chopped veggies & steamed broccoli; cheese & boiled egg as snacks
    Last edited by Leida; 08-17-2011 at 06:29 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Don't feel horrible! There are always going to be some tears with the changes, but she'll be fine. You could always experiment with gluten-free tortilla-like options using almond meal and such.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Also, took one look at a new chapter written by a co-worker on the endless project report, and went to get a diet Dr. Pepper before the afternoon meeting about the said report. Felt bad about it, but just couldn't imagine surviving without. Everyone but the said co-worker came to the meeting clutching cokes or hot chocolate, so I guess they might have shared my apprehension.
    I hear you. I'm not sure I could do no-cheat primal if I was still working at a stressful job (which I hated).
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Thanks, Namelesswonder! On one hand, I am thinking 'it's only a tortilla', but what if she wins this one, and tomorrow it will be a chocolate bar? *Keeping fingers crossed* I hope I am right.

I hear you. I'm not sure I could do no-cheat primal if I was still working at a stressful job (which I hated).
    Lol, aspartime or homicide....

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I told her, if she doesn't eat bread, pasta and cereal for the rest of the week, I will buy tortillas and make a pizza on the weekend.
    Perhaps it would be more helpful to offer her a non-food "treat" instead? Otherwise you are just reinforcing that it's OK to eat non-Primal foods in your home.

You know, you are absolutely right! I am just having trouble reconciling my husband and mine eating pattern - we eat 99% what I cook, at home or brown-bagging, but my child is still eating 75% of her meals in the DC. So, for us it is Okay to have a rare cheat at home, but for her sake, the house will have to be Primal/Paleo zone, so that the "we don't eat this at home, sweety" rule makes sense. Can't wait till she goes to Grade 1.

I keep craving an apple, but they are not in season yet, so I am waiting for the real fresh, juicy ones. What's the point payingtop dollar for the last year's crop? Hope for nice plums or peaches!

Food today: shared dinner portion: Steak, grilled eggplant and zuccini chips; fresh veggies and maybe some steamed vegg for dd; some fruit I need to obtain.

Myself: broth, lunch: steamed sweet potato baked with egg-white (post workout); dinner: Shared Dinner
    Hubby's breakfast: cooked scrambled eggs with ham, musrooms & mozza; lunch: leftovers! (C#2, he had steak for lunch yesterday!); dinner: Shared Dinner
    Daugher: Shared Dinner, yogurt for snacks

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    You just made me crave real, fresh apple cider really badly. Damn! I definitely need to go apple picking this fall (is it September yet?).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

jens522 is offline Senior Member
    I am planning a trip to Vermont this fall. Def want to do some apple picking!

That's awesome, Leida, that you're teaching daughter to eat whole foods at such a young age. I wish mine did!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Had a brainwave yesterday and broiled a separate round slice of an eggplant (they are nice and plump now), roughly the size & shape of a bread slice, topped with cheese and tomato and broiled up again. SHeesh, if I ate dairy, I would eat it myself, it looked so good! Left on the table without a comment, while cooking the rest of the supper. Kiddo came to investigate, whined a little, then proceeded to scraping cheese and tomato off, leaving the eggplant behind (the best part in my view). Heh.

On the other hand, dd was pretty excited about plain yogurt (the only one I could find that had 2 ingredients! No modified cornstarch nonsense) when I told her it is the special yogurt that can have any fruit flavor she wants. It was blueberries yesterday. We did add sugar, but imo better a tbsp or two of of sugar than an unknown quantity of artificial gloop and modified cornstarch.

Me and hubby pigged out on grapes yesterday Was a hungry day for me, lifting and staying home. I had an extra meal in addition to the planned, a 'sour tshi' I made from the leftover homemade saurcrout, onions, mushrooms and a mini slice of leftover pork-chop. Will skip lunch today to compensate for an extra meal and unsanctioned snacking.

Shared Dinner: leftover steaks, grilled zuccini/eggplant, fresh veggies & fruitplate (cherries, plums, peach)

Myself: broth; pre-workout (late lunch): can of salmon + red bell pepper and cucmber; dinner: Shared Dinner + grapefruit
    Hubby's breakfast: broiled red peppers stuffed with the remainder of rice& beans (C#3); Lunch: steak and fresh veggies; dinner: Shared Dinner
    Daugher: Shared Dinner, yogurt for snacks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast