Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: primal journal: bogusjourney page

bogusjourney is offline Junior Member

primal journal: bogusjourney

Shop Now

Here goes...I hope I'm going about this the right way! I think journaling is a great way to keep track of food and fitness, but have never done it in a public way before. So I will start now.

I've been reading over this entire website for about a month now and adopted the primal eating plan three weeks ago. It's a long story, but after a year and a half of chronic pelvic pain and two surgeries I seem to have reached a breakthrough -- two different doctors advised me to go on different versions of a strict diet that closely resembles what you all do here as an experiment to see if diet could affect my symptoms. Nothing else was working, including some hardcore hormone treatments for endometriosis, and another surgery was the next option, even though it was not completely clear that my ongoing pain was due to endo. So, I looked at the two diet lists I was given -- one for a diet to combat endometriosis, the other for a diet to help with interstitial cystitis -- and made a "grand master" foods list. What I ended up with was basically the Primal Blueprint plan, with a few adjustments (Ok, the endometriosis diet is vegan, but that's the only big exception. I eat meat.). Here's the thing: I did this -- cut out all grains, all sugars and artificial sweeteners (I have been low carbing for six years, so I didn't really consume sugar anyway, but was an avid consumer of splenda and diet coke), all caffeine, all soy, all dairy, all chocolate (endometriosis diet), making me gluten free, soy free, dairy free, sugar free; plus I've been reading up on all the positive changes I can make in my diet on this website and a few others.

Long story short: since I made these changes, my pain has DISAPPEARED, as in the chronic pelvic pain I felt every day that kept me glued to the sofa with a heating pad doped up on percocet for months and months and months and forced me to take a quarter off from writing my dissertation is suddenly GONE. This is the truth.

Anyway, now I want to keep a journal too, to keep myself honest and also get advice if anyone looks at it and notices something worth commenting on. So here goes:

Breakfast: two hard boiled eggs with coconut oil (I make a little cut in the egg down to the yolk and squish some coconut oil in there, where it melts and is pure deliciousness) and salt, rooibos tea with plain coconut creamer, 1/3 cup blueberries

Snack: raw cauliflower

Lunch: barely ripe pear with six walnut halves

Dinner: roasted chicken breast with skin on mache salad with walnut oil (I'm not supposed to have anything acidic from now on, so oil only on salads), pine nuts, one strip applewood smoked bacon, steamed asparagus

Snack: Fage 2% yogurt with bee pollen and flaxseed oil

Exercise: Today I did 30 minutes alternating walk/jog on the treadmill, then an hour long spinning class with an instructor who does mostly intervals

Note: I'm a recovering anorexic, so don't blast me for having a low calorie count -- to me this is a ton of food and I felt full all day. I added yogurt back in, because frankly it's my greatest pleasure in life right now (it's been a bad year - GOODBYE 2009!) and doesn't seem to cause a reaction for me, even though I'm lactose intolerant.

Thanks for any feedback! I'm on my way!

Primal journal entry numero due!

Breakfast: two hard boiled eggs with coconut oil, weak decaf coffee with coconut creamer

Lunch: raw chard salad with two hard boiled eggs, pine nuts, parsley, and walnut oil

Snack: 6 oz. blackberries and 1 oz. almonds

Dinner (?): fage total whole milk yogurt with bee pollen and flax/evening primrose oil

Snack: tbsp almond butter with some homemade unsweetened carob chips, maybe a teaspoon

Exercise: one hour spinning class, one hour weights with trainer

Finally, winter break starts tomorrow!! I had no appetite after this workout.

Yesterday's food!

Breakfast: fage 2% with bee pollen, almonds and blueberries

Snack: pear with six almonds

Lunch: spinach salad, two hard boiled eggs, olive oil dressing

Snack: one square carob bar

Sanck II: raw cauliflower

Dinner: roasted chicken leg, sauteed zucchini

Yesterday was a funny day -- I spent most of the time in the car. Here's what I ate:

Breakfast: two hard boiled eggs with coconut oil, decaf coffee with stevia

Snack: about a quarter of one of my new YouBars!

Snack II: raw cauliflower

Lunch: mache salad with hazelnut oil and goat cheese

Snack: a pear and almonds (6)

Dinner: assorted pieces of roasted chicken

Late Night Snack: fage 2% with bee pollen

Ok last two days post:

Thursday:

Breakfast: two HB eggs with coconut oil, decaf coffee with stevia

Lunch: one bosc pear, probably an ounce of pecans that I candied with yacon syrup, lots of raw dough for almond meal cookies sweetened with agave (oh well)

Dinner: a few shrimp -- I wasn't that hungry

Exercise: one hour with personal trainer

Friday (xmas day)

Breakfast: two HB eggs with coconut oil, decaf coffee with stevia

Lunch: leftover roast beef from mom's xmas party, mache salad, olive oil, goat cheese

Dinner: baked salmon, three shrimps from mario batali's "shrimp casalinga" recipe (with capers and marsala wine), sauteed zucchini

Dessert: made my own coconut flour cupcake with almond/goat milk carob frosting so I wouldn't feel left out while the family ate buche de noel...

No exercise! I *was* on my feet all day making the food for everyone...

Hm, I seem to have missed a day here. What did I eat on Saturday -- good thing I tracked it on The Daily Plate..

Breakfast: aha! This was a mistake, I was so full afterward...made my own crunchy cereal out of nuts and yacon syrup after hearing my family crunching away on breakfast, served mine with blackberries and almond milk. It was delicious but I couldn't eat the rest of the day.

Afternoon snack: pear

Dinner: mache salad, goat cheese, hazelnut oil

Midnight snack: hot carob drink with almond milk

I wasn't feeling well (abdominal pain), so I only did a half hour of walking at the gym. Saw Sherlock Homes movie.

Sunday:

Breakfast: a container of fage 2% yogurt, tsp. bee pollen, warm blueberries

Lunch: two hard boiled eggs, mache salad, olive oil, goat cheese

Snack: one organic pear

Dinner: spinach salad with pancetta and pine nuts, then grilled veal and some sauteed broccoli. This was so good, my first restaurant meal since changing to this way of eating. Italian food is numero uno.

Evening bite: one square of carob bar

Exercise: I spent an hour and a half walking/running around a lagoon trail out here in Carlsbad, CA. This was fun!

Primal Journal for Monday, December 28, 2009

Breakfast: fage 0% yogurt (the store was out of the others, and this effectively ruined my eating day), bee pollen, blueberries

Mid-morning snack I: remaining veal chop (I was hungry again in two hours after the yogurt!)

Mid-morning snack II: a fried egg with some raw spinach...still hungry

Mid-morning snack III: one of my YouBars...all this before 11 am

Post-workout snack: organic pear, goat cheese, almonds

Dinner: just a big salad: mache, fennel, radicchio, green beans, hazelnut oil.

Exercise: long, slow elliptical workout. I tried to vary the resistance and incline every few minutes. 1.5 hours. I figured this was as close as I could get to walking a long distance today, because my knees hurt from yesterday's run. Trainer's coming tomorrow.

ps carbs today were 66 grams, 18 grams fiber, 56 protein (not enough for me) according to The Daily Plate.

Primal Journal for Tuesday, 29 December 2009

Breakfast: fage 2% yogurt, bee pollen, flax-borage oil

Post-workout snack: half a pear dipped in melted "chocolate" I made from coconut oil and some carob powder, yum

Lunch: salad of endive, blanched green beans, spinach, goat cheese, and olive oil; one hard boiled egg

Snack: 1/3 cup fresh blueberries, coconut milk creamer

Dinner: broiled salmon, spinach sauteed in olive oil

Post-dinner: 12 almonds, piece of homemade stevia carob bar (I'm not supposed to eat chocolate btw in case I haven't written that before)

Exercise: one hour with personal trainer

ps carbs today 50g, fiber 12g, protein 66g according to The Daily Plate

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast